Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Xssights

Thread: Wolff guide rod kit for MK9/40

Default Wolff guide rod kit for MK9/40

I've been happy as could be with my new/old MK9 purchase except one thing. The captured guide rod spring and guide rod tended to either protrude a bit and be off putting or felt a little mushy returning to battery like there was a bit of friction. Also, it has been a PIMA to reinstall the little bugger.

So, I decided to pick up the the Wolff MK9/40 recoil spring and guide rod kit. BEST DANGED THING I COULD HAVE DONE. No more hitch, no more protrusion and now easy as pie to reinstall. Here's a few dirty pics.

I had thought about installing a set of adjustable sights, but she shoots too good. They'll go on my p45 instead.

Been running that since mine was new. Still have the original spring and rod. Never an issue.

Could not agree more. The Wolff guide rod works great and looks better than the plastic captured rod. The only thing I did was to remove the black finish so it matched the stainless finish.
    USN ~ Retired

I'm running one in my MK40 Elite as well.
    Good Stuff

Put me in the same group. I think captured springs are over rated. It isn't hard to assemble the pistol and works great.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Indeed. Love that guide rod too. Makes a huge difference in confidence and reliability of the gun when it is not used extensively as well.

I want to install a Wolff guide & spring, but Iím not sure what #spring to put in my MK40! Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks ,Sears

Quote Originally Posted by SKSears View Post
    I want to install a Wolff guide & spring, but Iím not sure what #spring to put in my MK40! Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks ,Sears
    Wolff has 20.5# listed as "Factory Standard" for MK9/40 springs.
    https://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm...s&cID=1&mID=29
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

How is the reliability before and after?

I love and would not take for my MK9. Its been my full time carry pistol for a good while now. Building and shooting 1911's I came to understand the importance of keeping a fresh correctly rated recoil spring in a pistol according to the particular load being used. There's no better in my opinion than Wolff Gunsprings! I use the Wolff 24.5 pound extra power recoil spring and guide rod in my MK9. It functions wonderfully. The MK9 and MK40 use the same factory rated recoil spring, a 20.5 pound spring. Wolff offers two extra power recoil springs for the MK9, a 22.5 pound and a 24.5 pound recoil spring. Both are the dual spring configuration.
    Shooting hot loads in a pistol with a badly worn or under rated recoil spring WILL crack the slide of most brands of pistols with extended use. What happens is the slide bottoms out hard time after time using a weak or under rated recoil spring in the pistol. Basically, the load being used is overcoming the recoil spring. The trick is to use the highest poundage recoil spring in your pistol you can get by with without having it stove pipe brass, loading the next round out of the magazine into the chamber. If it rechambers the brass of the round just fired or stove pipes brass, likely to high a poundage recoil spring is being used. But keep in mind a new spring has to set itself. After a few rounds are fired it can stop stove piping telling you the correct recoil spring is in the pistol. Keep in mind pressures of factory loaded mass produced ammunition can vary by run. Likewise, a fresh magazine spring also figures into the mix. Wolff Gunsprings also as you may know makes +5% extra power magazine springs. Money well spent in all aspects! Happy shooting.