CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wish list for Kahr - Double Stack

Based on some stats I've read, the average number of rounds fired in police shootings is less than 5. The study also said that you are less likely to be hit if you are moving while you are shooting, rather than standing flat footed. So I'd say IPSC practice will do more to protect you than adding extra rounds to your magazine. Real world practice improves your shooting skills. To quote Little Bill Daggett from the movie Unforgiven, "Look son, being a good shot, being quick with a pistol, that don't do no harm, but it don't mean much next to being cool-headed. A man who will keep his head and not get rattled under fire, like as not, he'll kill ya."

I'd like to see the stats on the average number of rounds fired by police when there are more than one perp involved.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by TXscooterguy View Post
    A man who will keep his head and not get rattled under fire, like as not, he'll kill ya."
    That's the only reason I like going to the range when there are others there shooting. If I can stay cool and focused while shots are being fired to my right and left, I'm satisfied. That goes double at the indoor rifle range.

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    Not discounting Sig's excellent design, the P365 w/mag, unloaded comes in at 18.6 oz and the four additional rounds add to it's relative base weight. For casual, concealed civilian carry I'm good with my trusty ole J-frames and my PM9. Heavier clothing and/or feeling the need for more is where my 1911's come in. Admittedly, I was born and raised before spray and pray was invented so I may be a bit biased.

Also age related, on the .380 argument/discussion....given moden ammunition, .380 is the new 9, 9 is the new .44/.45 ball, and .45 why bother to shoot twice is the new .45.
    Sometimes actual weight is not the factor, it is the balance.
    My Kimber Ultra CDP in .45 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special was one of the easiest hip gun I have ever carried.

I just got back from the range after shooting another 75 rounds through my P365. It is riding in the same Silent Thunder holster that carries my PM9. I loaded them both and in the hand the Sig and the PM9 feel pretty close even though I know there is a difference. In the holster I cannot tell the difference at all. Probably because of the good holster and a super stiff belt.
    As much as I hate to say this, in my hands, strong and weak hand shooting, the Sig is much easier to keep on target. Probably because I am very comfortable with the shape of Sig triggers and the fact they break a lot sooner than my much loved PM9. Two hand hold they are not that much different accuracy wise.
    I still have more practice time with the Sig learning speed shooting but so far I really like this gun.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Quote Originally Posted by TXscooterguy View Post
    Based on some stats I've read, the average number of rounds fired in police shootings is less than 5. The study also said that you are less likely to be hit if you are moving while you are shooting, rather than standing flat footed. So I'd say IPSC practice will do more to protect you than adding extra rounds to your magazine. Real world practice improves your shooting skills. To quote Little Bill Daggett from the movie Unforgiven, "Look son, being a good shot, being quick with a pistol, that don't do no harm, but it don't mean much next to being cool-headed. A man who will keep his head and not get rattled under fire, like as not, he'll kill ya."

^^^ good post! Around these parts the average number of shots fired by police are everything-the-gun-will-hold x the-number-of-cops-on-the-scene (Cleveland at least). https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...olice-shooting
    ​O|||||||O

Yeah we just had a shooting around here someplace, can't remember exactly where. Suspect armed with a cell phone, 2 officers, 20 shots fired.

Protest already under way.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Good News: Most of us will not likely be in a gunfight. I saw statistics indicating that fewer than 1% of police, whose job obligates them to look for trouble, will engage in a shooting in their entire careers. Some of this may be because, with SWAT teams, only a small group of police will be called to engage in predictable shootings, but it illustrates how rarely shootings occur. Still, most KahrTalkers have made their own decisions that carrying a defensive handgun is an option that we want to have.

A 9mm pistol with a 10 round or higher capacity double stack mag can have a grip width of 1". This is the advertised measurement of a Sig P365 and a Kel-Tec P-11. Kahr polymer 9mm grips measure 0.9" - a 0.1" difference in width. Many Kahr polymer owners choose to add grip sleeves which likely make the grip widths equal. Thicker grips diminish felt recoil by spreading it over a larger portion of the hand. A P-11 mag is slightly shorter than a P9/CW9 mag and contains 10 rounds instead of the Kahr's 7 rounds. There were once P-11 replacement followers to upgrade a P-11 mag to 12, but I found them unreliable. (A 12 round Smith and Wesson mag was usable and added about 1/2" to the grip, but was better for shooting.) So, is the extra 3 rounds a major game changer? I think it is not very likely, but possible, especially in situations with multiple attackers or when more misses occur. I think I would feel slightly safer with extra three rounds at a cost of only 0.1" in grip width and modest extra weight. When carrying a single stack pistol, I usually carry an extra mag. When carrying a double stack, I usually do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    With Sig's new compact 9mm, one would hope that Justin Moon could start thinking about a double stack CW9. The grip shouldn't have to be any wider than a Ruger SR9 or even a CW45 to cram 3 more rounds in the magazine, thereby maintaining the brand's reputation for slim pistols.
    The company ought to keep up with the game if it wants to stay in it, IMO.

Call it the DSS9 or even include a DSST9.

Thoughts?
    Kahr could have done this years ago. SIG has said they designed the P365 around the magazine. Kahr is already known for making thin pistols,and a big reason they are so thin is the offset feed ramp, which is patented. So all Kahr needs to do is design a double stack magazine that narrows to a single stack(which is the Cliffs Notes version of their engineering feat) and they're in.

SIG is selling every P365 they make. Every one my LGS gets in(and he seemingly just gets in one at a time) ends up on Gunbroker for $700 or more.

A Kahr CM9 which is double stack would sell like hotcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    Good News: Most of us will not likely be in a gunfight. I saw statistics .........
    Awww damn, too late for me. Way too late...

An added thought I missed before. I routinely summer vacation travel through state(s) where possession of >8 round mags are illegal. Causes me to leave my u&c Glock car guns at home.
    NRA Benefactor

I fear they intentionally missed the boat on a sub double stack.

I love my three Kahrs, LOVE them. I wasn't attracted to the brand per se, I was lured by small and light relative to caliber. Hence my eventual purchase of a PM9, PM40 and PM45. My affinity for the brand was then born.

That said, I'm still all about small and light relative to caliber above any allegiance to brand.

More capacity within a similar size and modest weight increase qualifies and piques my interest. So once I feel that Sig has ironed out its issues, I'll be buying a P365.

If it were Kahr with a similar release, I'd have bought that one instead without a moment's second thought.

If Sig develops a .45 and .40 equally similar to the PM/CM size yet again with superior capacity, I'd likely be in the market for at least one of them too.

That could likely signal one man's migration away from Kahr. Only it wouldn't be one man, it will be thousands and it's a tide Kahr could have stemmed years ago.

Damn shame.