Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CW380 issues

Default New CW380 issues

Well The Brand new Kahr CW380 came in today.
    Haven't yet shot it . but I disassembled it, cleaned it recleaned, oiled all per the sticky post regarding CW380 here..
    The good - It's smaller than I thought and thats good. It literally is, or can be, a vest / back pocket pistol. A definite close up "oh sh*t" defense gun.
    The bad - look at pics I've never seen a brand new polymer frame gun with burs and frays in the rails like this. Maybe they right themselves after 200 rds. but wow.. just see for yourself.

Yeah, it stops doing that after a while.

The plastic rails don't do much except act as a guide for the slide during re-assembly.

If it really bugs you, just put a bit of Flitz on the plastic rails and hand rack it a bunch of times. Then pull/cut off the little stings, clean and lube the gun, and it should be good to go.

The only one of my Kahrs that did this was my CM9. I just scraped off the strings with a finger nail at cleaning time. It stopped after the initial break in, and hasn't done it since.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Yeah, it stops doing that after a while.

The plastic rails don't do much except act as a guide for the slide during re-assembly.

If it really bugs you, just put a bit of Flitz on the plastic rails and hand rack it a bunch of times. Then pull/cut off the little stings, clean and lube the gun, and it should be good to go.

The only one of my Kahrs that did this was my CM9. I just scraped off the strings with a finger nail at cleaning time. It stopped after the initial break in, and hasn't done it since.
    rgr that. Thanks for the response, Ed M. Thats good to know and positive encouragement. After dry firing testing the DAO long trigger pull I can't say i'm excited, or have a warm & fuzzy. but again , its better than the glock type trigger-blade safety. Hopefully tomorrow I can run some Remington UMC round nose 94+ grain thru it. We'll see how it does.
    I have no emotional attachment to this pistol unlike others I own. I just want, need & expect this little squared off pigmy shooter to function with a capital F

Enjoy your new CW380! Mine has been very good overall; the only issues I have had were with the extended mag, and some ammo sensitivity. Mine has a "tight chamber" so I have tested several types of ammo to determine what runs well. I do have a caution for you -- my pistol does not like the Remington (green box). You might try the "plunk" test to check and see if your ammo will run smoothly -- break down the pistol, remove the barrel, and see if the ammo will drop smoothly into and out of the chamber. I discovered that the batch of Remington that I had would not chamber in my CW380, even though it ran fine in my Taurus 738.

All the advice you got so far is right on target. My cw380 was a little rough inside at first but it ran 100% so I'm happy.

For what its worth I picked up a M&P shield (it was on sale and I couldn't pass it up) and the seam in the back of the frame was so rough it ate the skin off the web of my hand after 50 rounds. I had to take a file and sand paper to it but it ran 100%. I guess rough polymer can come from any manufacturer.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Cool

update.
    100 rds. of flat nosed ammo ( was expecting many feed problems)
    The little gun actually performed fairly well and better than anticipated. It is very accurate for what is. We DID experience a few FTFeed, FTEject and FT- go in battery as described by others before me but not as many as projected. I will never get used to the LONG read that L O N G trigger pull. Double taps with that trigger suffice to say the 2nd shot is wild.. Specifically it gonna be great for a potential high stress one-handed quick draw with the first rd on target but for the long trigger pull subsequent shots will require MUCH range time to get proficient. I use DA/SA and single action 1911 fine. Not gonna jeopardize proficiency with those pistols to get so with this one. I should've kept the PPK and the Beretta 34BB. Yes, they are a little bigger but familiar. I can't stand the Glock trigger dingle which is why I selected the CW380 over the 42/43. While it IS small and fun to shoot I'll probably sell or swap it. At this point my search for the perfect conceal pistol for hot Texas weather continues. For someone that wants to spend the timeget proficient with this Kahr trigger I suggest you stay in the KAHR family of firearms for carry. Good guns. Just too much of a departure for this old timer.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebxb View Post
    ... Not gonna jeopardize proficiency with those pistols to get so with this one..
    FWIW I've found that mastering a Kahr trigger (similar to a DA revolver trigger) makes shooting other handguns even easier. I encourage you to give it a try. Your current trigger skills won't be in jeopardy. In contrast, they could get even better? JM2cents
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    FWIW I've found that mastering a Kahr trigger (similar to a DA revolver trigger) makes shooting other handguns even easier. I encourage you to give it a try. Your current trigger skills won't be in jeopardy. In contrast, they could get even better? JM2cents
    I've been shooting IDPA for about 15 yrs and regularly shoot revolver. I watched Jerry Miculek( World champion revolver shooter) and he said that he doesn't pull straight back like a normal trigger, but arcs his finger down slightly and the curve of the trigger makes it break. He says it's slot more efficient and controllable. That works for me, ymmv.

IMO the Kahr trigger is ideal for a small defensive pistol. Under stress with muscles straining and adrenaline flowing, the last thing I want is a light trigger. Of course we all have to have a pistol we can shoot both accurately and reliably. For me, the CW380 fits that niche. I like it better than the TCP38 my wife has though the Taurus has been 100% reliable and my Kahr took some work.

Double tapping or rapid fire still has to be accurate. Bad things happen fast, but the man who keeps his head and hits his target is likely the one who walks away.

These are all good replies. And no doubt Jerry M and others can adapt and shoot these just fine. For my personal use and requirements I don't think its a good fit. For two handed shooting, plinking or at the range It shoots real good. The trigger is smooth, predictable and without that 'safe-action dingle' thing. I think after carrying the 92 and HK V3 I'm accustomed to the "take-up"-resistance-pull-then break in DA. In SA there's long take up (if you fully release past reset) then short resistance then break. With the Kahr its the distance of the long arc pull before break EVERY time that gives me issue. (Again, to clarify, I'm referring to a high stress ONE HANDED, reactive quick draw application.) Under those circumstances and for me.. maybe a double tap derringer would be a better choice. Better to have 2 rds on target than 1 on with the remaining rds unpredictable. So, The Kahr CW380's biggest negative is the mandatory 200 rd expenditure before you can rely on it to function. This adds another apprx $100 to a $300 pistol. The positives are it's good design, size, weight and extreme conceal factors. If I could talk Beretta into making an 80 series size in a 9mm I'd be in hog heaven. But they won't listen to me. https://photos.app.goo.gl/4ici6zGZT7e7X1eD3 Maybe when SIG gets the bugs worked out of their 365 IT would be the way to go (striker without the 'dingle') And an additional thumb safety like a Shield would be outstanding.