Xssights   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cw380 recoil spring question

Default Cw380 recoil spring question

I recently saw a video about the recoil spring on a cw 380 that got damaged by the recoil spring protruding from the point that the guide rod passes through as the slide opens. I has made me hesitant about getting a kahr, as I see most models have a raw coil end at the muzzle and wonder if anyone has had issues of this sort? As in a 1911 the coil is similar but has a cap to terminate the coil. It seems like the spring could be flush returned at both ends. I love the kahr triggers and design elements though.

Out of 5 Kahrs I’ve owned I’ve never had an issue. Improper reassembly I believe.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Never even heard of this. I have a P380 and a CW380 and see no evidence of this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Improper reassembly I believe.
    ^^^^This.

I've seen that video on Youtube. Once the guide rod is in place, there's simply no room for the spring to sneak out past the frame.

As others have found here, it makes it easier during re-assembly to position the very tip of the spring so it is oriented toward the barrel.

Remembering back a decade ago when I got my first Kahr, I found it easier to hold the slide and muzzle face down on the edge of my desk, leaving the guide rod hole hanging over the edge of the desk as I inserted the guide rod assembly.

This keeps everything aligned as you "hunt" for the hole with the end of the guide rod. It's like having a third hand to assist you....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    ^^^^This.

I've seen that video on Youtube. Once the guide rod is in place, there's simply no room for the spring to sneak out past the frame.

As others have found here, it makes it easier during re-assembly to position the very tip of the spring so it is oriented toward the barrel.

Remembering back a decade ago when I got my first Kahr, I found it easier to hold the slide and muzzle face down on the edge of my desk, leaving the guide rod hole hanging over the edge of the desk as I inserted the guide rod assembly.

This keeps everything aligned as you "hunt" for the hole with the end of the guide rod. It's like having a third hand to assist you....
    I guess the consensus is the individual must have not been careful in re- installing the recoil spring and then forced it , that could pucker up the guide hole. Thanks all...

I have a half dozen Kahrs and have been shooting them for years and have never had such a problem. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the gun was somehow improperly reassembled.

Quote Originally Posted by sffone View Post
    I have a half dozen Kahrs and have been shooting them for years and have never had such a problem. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the gun was somehow improperly reassembled.
    Thanks, I guess some people force things that shouldn't be forced, especially a critical tool like a pistol.

I've taken down my new CW380 countless times. The inner recoil spring does like to find its way through the hole provided in the slide for the guide rod. The issue is that the springs have one finished end and one cut end. The finished end of both springs is normally facing rearward to the expanded end of the guide rod...as the outer spring should be. The inner spring, however can be flipped end for end so the finished end is up against the muzzle end of the slide. This stops the unfinished spring wire from trying to find its way out the guide hole. There are no ill affects.

It is posted below this post that the finished ends of the recoil springs should remain on the same end and that is rearward. I can absolutely see how swapping the inner spring end for end to solve one problem, could create a new, much more serious problem. Though my CW380 has seen no ill affect, I will be putting it back to factory settings this evening. My apologies for the confusion.
    Last edited by Jester1023; 04-03-2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: To right a wrong.

The closed ends should be to the rear of the guide rod. Kahr is very specific about that. The closed ends grips the guide rod to keep it in place and not allow it over the flange to the rear of the guide rod.

The open ends goes to the front of the pistol and is open to allow it free movement to compress during firing and returning to battery. While re-assembling the slide, I twirl the recoil assembly as I align and push the rod trough the hole in the slide. I watch and start over if the spring tries to get through first.

All of the Kahrs are designed this way and the manual shows pictures and the video at kahr.com cautions you to keep the closed ends of the recoil springs to the rear.

If the open end is to the rear, the spring can override the flange and jam your pistol... not a good thing to happen when you're perhaps fighting for your life. It isn't that hard to install the recoil assembly correctly!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    The closed ends should be to the rear of the guide rod. Kahr is very specific about that. The closed ends grips the guide rod to keep it in place and not allow it over the flange to the rear of the guide rod.

The open ends goes to the front of the pistol and is open to allow it free movement to compress during firing and returning to battery. While re-assembling the slide, I twirl the recoil assembly as I align and push the rod trough the hole in the slide. I watch and start over if the spring tries to get through first.

All of the Kahrs are designed this way and the manual shows pictures and the video at kahr.com cautions you to keep the closed ends of the recoil springs to the rear.

If the open end is to the rear, the spring can override the flange and jam your pistol... not a good thing to happen when you're perhaps fighting for your life. It isn't that hard to install the recoil assembly correctly!

Wynn

Thanks for clarification, I edited my above post.