Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading for Desert Eagle 44mag

Hi Toprudder, I hope to be joining you in reloading for the DE soon, having recently acquired a Mk XIX. I've picked up H-110 and 4227 to try first. Do you have a preferred primer, and have you tried plated bullets? Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by bryanksmith View Post
    Hi Toprudder, I hope to be joining you in reloading for the DE soon, having recently acquired a Mk XIX. I've picked up H-110 and 4227 to try first. Do you have a preferred primer, and have you tried plated bullets? Best wishes!
    Bryan,

I have not done much with 4227, but from everything I have heard you have to fill the case with it, even compress it some, before it starts to burn clean.

H-110 and N-110 both work well for me in the DE. If you don't want a lot of flash and noise, go with N-110, and I think it burns a little cleaner than H-110. H-110 will be noticeably louder and has a very big flash.

With my 44mag revolver, I saw signs of plating failure (copper AND lead in the barrel) so I decided not to even try plated bullets in the DE. If I had a plating failure there, it could potentially get into the gas system, which would be bad. I have had such great luck with Zero JSP bullets in 44mag (for revolver, rifle, and DE) that I won't use much else, and they are only about $0.14 each so they are not much more than plated bullets. If I do use plated or coated bullets, it will be for lighter target loads in the revolver, which won't cycle the DE anyway.

I like the Winchester large pistol primers. They are rated for both regular and magnum applications. The general wisdom with H-110 is that a magnum primer is necessary, but I think that is mainly for reliable ignition in low temps.

Good luck.

My Eagle likes 24.0gr of H110 or WW296, with Sierra 240gr JHP.
    Accurate, reliable, and a great flames!