Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about my new CW380 with loaded magazine

Default Question about my new CW380 with loaded magazine

I just aquired a CW380. Have firedf it around 150 times and am happy with it.

Question: When loading it with the slide locked back and then release there are no problems. However, if I put a loaded magazine into it with the slide forward and then try to rack it......... no go. It will only go back a about a 1/4" of an inch. Does not matter if there is only one in magazine or full. Tried several different brands of ammo, same result.

Called Kahr and asked them about this. Was told that it works the way it is designed and there is no need to rack the slide with a loaded mag anyway. I gave them a couple of scenerios were you might want to. They were nice but said this is a non issue. They also said that some 380's might rack on a loaded slide while others may not because the gun is so small and there can be variences.

Have any CW380 owners out there experienced this same thing?
    Last edited by scstrain; 04-02-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Will only go back to the rear a 1/4" or only go forward a 1/4'' after you release the slide?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

When loading it with the slide locked back and then release there are no problems. However, if I put a loaded magazine into it with the slide forward and then try to rack it back to load......... no go. It will only go back a about a 1/4" of an inch. Does not matter if there is only one in magazine or full. Tried several different brands of ammo, same result.

That doesn’t sound right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by scstrain View Post
    I just aquired a CW380. Have firedf it around 150 times and am happy with it.

Question: When loading it with the slide locked back and then release there are no problems. However, if I put a loaded magazine into it with the slide forward and then try to rack it......... no go. It will only go back a about a 1/4" of an inch. Does not matter if there is only one in magazine or full. Tried several different brands of ammo, same result.

Called Kahr and asked them about this. Was told that it works the way it is designed and there is no need to rack the slide with a loaded mag anyway. I gave them a couple of scenerios were you might want to. They were nice but said this is a nonissue. They also said that some 380's might rack on a loaded slide while others may not because the gun is so small and there can be variences.

Have any CW380 owners out there experienced this same thing?
    Welcome to the forums

I don't have a CW380, but do have a P380. With it, I have not experienced what you describe in your post.

As you write "Have fired it around 150 times and am happy with it.", my first impulse is to question if there is a problem with the pistol.

Along that line, might I be so indelicate to ask if you have any injury or condition that might weaken your grip or strength (we have members of all ages and conditions on the forum and I mean no disrespect with my question)?

If this might be the case, I'd like to suggest (if you don't already do so) adding some lube to the center rail of the slide and the area where the disconnector rides.

Also, please note that in the above photo, there is a score line between the center rail and the slide lock side of the slide. This is probably from the magazine. It's not caused any problems in my P380, but it might warrant a look in your CW380.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thanks all for trying to help me.

A little more info: When I first received the pistol I noticed that it would not lock back on it's empty magazine. I would have to pull the slide back and then with my thumb engage the slide stop. Took it to the range, had to lock open slide like mentioned in previous sentence, insert loaded magazine and then drop slide to load first round. On the last rounds fired, it would lock open the slide. I guess because of the momentum and kick. It still would not lock open on a empty magazine or rack open with slide forward on a loaded magazine.

Called Kahr and they sent me out a longer more powerful magazine spring. Now it does lock open with empty magazine inserted. It still will not open with a loaded magazine in the gun with the slide foward. Called again today and was told what I wrote in opening post. They did say I could send it in but that they are 6 - 8 weeks behind. I am hoping this is no big deal.

Thanks Greg. I have lubed to no avail.

After studying Greg's picture I figured out what the problem was. See how nice and polished the center rail is on his picture with the green arrow pointing at it. Also notice how it is smoothly curved over at the front. On mine the rail was not smooth at all (Machining chatter) and the front was squared off with a burr on it. That rail slides accross the ammo in the magazine. When you factor in how strong the magazine spring is, and a rail with rough machine marks, no smooth curved front, and with a burr ....................... you now have a lot digging into the ammo in the magazine. You will probably have problems like I did.

Got out the old gun stones and oil, smoothed it all up and broke the edge at the front. Now all is good. Works like it should. The folks at Kahr sure did not seem concerned. This could have caused some reliability issues. Gregs is a P380, cost's a whole lot more then a CW380. Looks like some corners may also be cut in the overall smoothing and polishing between the two models. We know the other differences. What do you all think?

Once again Greg’s pictures save the day! I’m glad you were able to solve the issue yourself. What do I think? Your slide should have been finished properly before it left Worcester!
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

After studying Greg's picture I figured out what the problem was. See how nice and polished the center rail is on his picture with the green arrow pointing at it. Also notice how it is smoothly curved over at the front. On mine the rail was not smooth at all (Machining chatter) and the front was squared off with a burr on it. That rail slides accross the ammo in the magazine. When you factor in how strong the magazine spring is, and a rail with rough machine marks, no smooth curved front, and with a burr ....................... you now have a lot digging into the ammo in the magazine. You will probably have problems like I did.

Got out the old gun stones and oil, smoothed it all up and broke the edge at the front. Now all is good. Works like it should. The folks at Kahr sure did not seem concerned. This could have caused some reliability issues. Gregs is a P380, cost's a whole lot more then a CW380. Looks like some corners may also be cut in the overall smoothing and polishing between the two models. We know the other differences. What do you all think?
    All gun manufacturers have some quality control issues, Kahr is no exception. Many CS reps, if not most, don't know crap about why a gun has a problem or how to fix it! This is unfortunate, however, you found and fixed the issue! Well done, enjoy your new toy knowing that you can now help someone else that may have the same issue!
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe

Gregs is a P380, cost's a whole lot more then a CW380. Looks like some corners may also be cut in the overall smoothing and polishing between the two models. We know the other differences. What do you all think?
    I’ve owned three CW 380s in addition to a P380 to date. None of the CW 380s had the problem yours did on the center slide nor any functional issues that might be related to manufacturing differences between the CW and P models.

Good job to figure out and fix the problem. Customer service has no idea what’s wrong with your gun until techs look at it and anything they opine on the phone before that is pretty useless
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899