Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New and frustrated

Default New and frustrated

I purchased my first Kahr (CW380) this weekend. These are new to me because I. Used to Walther and Sigs. It’s lite, fits well and it looks sexy.

The frustration came today when I took my CW380 to the range. I’m in 100 rds of the 200 rds break-in. The first box of Tennessee Cartridge Co FMJ generally went off without a hitch. New gun, understandable. The second box was of Remington JHP (don’t remember the gr.) and began having problems the rounds feeding. The cavity of the hollow point would ride right into the feed ramp. The round would not feed and the magazine would not eject. I had to lock the slide open and, using a finger, slid the round back on the magazine.

I inow im n break-in. I have never experienced this type of feed problem. Is this expected during break-in? I intend to continue the break-in with different hollow points to see if it is just Remington ammo.

thanks for letting me in. I’m looking forward to being a happy Kahr user.

The guys will be along soon with suggestions. I'm new to Kahr and recently purchased a CW380 as well. I haven't found the time to get it to the range yet, but I have mine feeding everything manually, except Fiocchi...but it doesn't feed in my other .380 either. I did take the slide guts out and make some pre-break-in modifications, as well as polish the feed ramp. There has also been an extensive cleaning with Tetra Action Blaster. It was suggested I take my mag apart to make sure the spring was facing the correct direction. Mine was, but I've heard many are not and need corrected.

Some smaller pistols are very ammo sensitive. That is why I switched to a Ruger LCRx in .327 Federal Magnum.

More reliable
    Still small and light
    More powerful
    Accurate

It is in a pocket holster at this moment right now with me.

https://ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5462.html

Try using some stouter ammo for break in, and these pistols need a death grip to function properly. Ain't no Walther or Sig. It's just one of many reasons I stay away from .380. With the cost of .380 ammo these days, might as well have a 9mm.

With mine I used good ammo and polished the feed ramp and other internals, and finally did this mod...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwrBbUQze2k to get my CW380 to feed and eject all ammo in it. Got it working great and then sold it to buy a CM9. As berettabone said cost of 380 is such that might as well get a 9mm. Especially true with a Kahr that is very small anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_usn_ret View Post
    With mine I used good ammo and polished the feed ramp and other internals, and finally did this mod...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwrBbUQze2k to get my CW380 to feed and eject all ammo in it. Got it working great and then sold it to buy a CM9. As berettabone said cost of 380 is such that might as well get a 9mm. Especially true with a Kahr that is very small anyhow.
    I have seen that video. Unfortunately, I am not willing o disassemble by pistol. The failure I speak of is not covered in the video. I will try a different ammo.

Thanks.

With all respect, telling what I should have bought doesn’t help. I do appreciate helpful feedback.

With all due respect, you got some. It's a starting point. Your also getting our opinion, which is priceless........................ If you're not willing to work and learn with the firearm, sounds like you only have one choice.

Well good luck solving your feeding problem....I will say no more

Hornady FTX Critical Defense has the best reputation for feeding with a hollow point. However they do not penetrate enough using a short barrel .380 , if memory serves me correctly. Most will recommend an FMJ over an H.P. that does not penetrate far enough. Also no great loss if Remington H.P. will not cycle. I don't think they expand anyway. Try something else.
    If the 1st 100 rounds cycled well,I would expect the pistol is broken in. Field strip the pistol and follow lube directions on the sticky.
    For short barrel .380 use XTP bullet by by Precision One, Hornady, or Underwood. The new all copper fluted bullet by Lehigh has performed well in gel tests = penetration + wound cavity. Loaded by LeHigh or Underwood.
    For discussion on .380 bullets, research ammo quest youtube.
    Rule 1 use ammo that feeds 100%! Rule 2 penetration trumps expansion. Difficult to find both in short barrel .380.