Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New and frustrated

The Fiocchi FMJ will not run in the Kahr 380 unless you modify the extractor. The rim is thicker causing problems when feeding. I don’t have experience with BrassMaxx, maybe someone else will chime in.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

I don't recall a problem with my P380, but my P40's didn't like the Fiocchi ammo... a VERY sharp and pronounced mouth/rim. It would catch at the top of the chamber and gave me fits until one day I decided it was the rim. It works fine in my Glock 23C.

I've shot many different kinds of ammo in my P380 since 2010... got it March 31 and sent it back the next day because the front sight was dead... I waited almost 11 months to get one with night sights!

There was a bunch of ammo made for Herters/Fiocchi and several other brands... by the same manufacturer, so it's possible to run into the same problems with one or more of the others.

Some ammo does cause problems with the Kahrs.

I did find some comparison photos of the S&B and Fiocchi cartridges from July 2014. Someone, or maybe I, had a problem and I compared them. The Fiocchi does have a wider mouth rim.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

FWIW - Herters = S&B, Brass Maxx and Perfecta = Fiocchi.

My CW380s had trouble chambering Perfecta, and my P380 wouldn't chamber it at all. I did the extractor mods (rounding the bottom of the extractor claw and removing .010 off the inside of the pin) and they all chamber and feed everything fine now.

Hornady Critical Defense worked fine before any modifications.

My suggestion would be to try another self defense round - something with a Hornady XTP bullet (there's several brands that use it). If that doesn't work, try the extractor mods yourself, or if you're uncomfortable doing the mods yourself, it's time to send it in to Kahr. They're currently taking about 12 weeks for a turn around time....

There is also a third modification that addresses the root cause of Kahr 380 feed issues - too much extractor tension. See the following posts:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...to-Battery-Fix

This is the easiest modification you can do yourself, and it only involved modification on a $2 part. Super easy to do.

I've contacted a Kahr representative that is in a Facebook group I belong to, and he's notified the engineers at Kahr about the extractor tension fix. Hopefully, we'll see this issue put to rest on future production 380s, but there's still many 380's from past production runs that still have this problem. Kahr DOES know how to fix these feed problems now.

Default New and frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by Pookanator View Post
    I finished the 200 rd break-in. Shot a box of Fiocchi and a box of BrassMaxx plus half of a box of PPU. All FMJ. The Fiocchi and BrassMaxx were horrible; failure to eject, failure to extract, failure to lock open, failure to go into battery and a couple of stove pipes. The PPU Shot fantastically. I finished the day with a box of Hornady Critical Defense which produce a handful of failures.

im considering senting it to Kahr.
    Fiocchi doesn’t seem to work for anybody, but if Hornaday critical defense doesn’t feed, you definitely need to send it in. If you want to be double sure, have someone who is used to shooting micro 380s give it a try. That’s just to make sure it’s not your grip or technique. Kahr will probably upgrade the extractor and it will be fine.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Am I missing something here? Who breaks in a pistol with anything other than ball ammo? Why? Aside from the cost point, but why waste good HP? Any way, I save a lot of time and money, etc., by immediately stripping and polishing all moving/mating parts. That's the point of "breaking in", imo. I'd rather spend my bullets down range at a competition( IDPA, IPPSC, 3 gun). YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by CCHGN View Post
    Am I missing something here? Who breaks in a pistol with anything other than ball ammo?
    Curious people who want to get an early read on how their pistol is going to perform with SD ammo. 😀😀😀
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

I know a few with LOTS of money that always shoot what they carry. Never anything else.

A few departments are that way also. Practice with duty ammo. Must have awful nice budgets since that stuff is bloody expensive.

I have to reload to shoot much, but don't really mind reloading either.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

^^^ reloading is therapeutic.
    ​O|||||||O

Lord knows I need all that therapeutic I can get..
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Or get a gun that works!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wlfman13 View Post
    OP,

Dont worry. Go out, and buy 8 different boxes and/or brands of 50-round ammo. Seriously. If you bought it, you probably plan on carrying it. If you carry it, your life could depend on it.

Shoot all 400 rounds. Buy a toothbrush at Walmart or at the range. Brush out all metal shavings every 50 rounds.

End the session with 20rds of Critical Defense or Corbon Pow’r Ball.

The 20 rds of self defense should feed correctly.

-Wlf