Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sold my p380

Default Sold my p380

Sorry to report that I had enough with my P380. Most unreliable gun I ever owned. Yes, I broke it in correctly firing well over 500 rounds. Jams, ftf’s, stovepipes, misfires, you name the problem and this gun had it. Sent it back to the factory and got it back a few months later and nothing changed, still all the same problems. Took a beating when I sold it, I would never carry a gun that I don’t trust. All in all, must have fired well over 700 rounds through the gun and I can honestly say I never shot more then 10rounds without a problem.

Can't blame you for wanting to get rid of a lemon. The largest % of the complaints I've read here are concerning the P380 & CW380.
    Then again, plenty of owners seem to love them.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

No problem with any of my Kahrs.

I understand. I’ve sold 2 that I could just not trust. 1 beretta and 1 Bersa. All my Kahrs fortunately ran OK.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky10956 View Post
    Sorry to report that I had enough with my P380. Most unreliable gun I ever owned. Yes, I broke it in correctly firing well over 500 rounds. Jams, ftf’s, stovepipes, misfires, you name the problem and this gun had it. Sent it back to the factory and got it back a few months later and nothing changed, still all the same problems. Took a beating when I sold it, I would never carry a gun that I don’t trust. All in all, must have fired well over 700 rounds through the gun and I can honestly say I never shot more then 10rounds without a problem.
    I like my CW380, yes finicky when it comes to ammo, but mild shooter. I CCW the Pico and totally trustworthy. over 5,000 rounds through the two of them in the last year. And the way they are built, will go running for a lot more years. The Kahr is used for range work now.

It took literally several thousand rounds through my P380 over several years and constant parts filing and swapping before it finally got to the point where I could call it reliable. At long last it's my daily carry, but it was a very long road to get to this point. Would I recommend a Kahr .380 to someone? Hell no. Many of them do work fine out of the box, but a disproportionate number of them don't. It's a shame because when it actually DOES work you really can't beat it for a small .380 pistol.

The 200 rd break in Kahr recommends was far from the actual rds for my CW380 to be considered a true CCW. Over 700 rds fired before I had a reliable weapon I could trust. I then sold it to a neighbor and bought the CM9. He has never had a single failure with it. Once the 380 "found its self" it was a great shooter....I just preferred going to a 9mm.
    Last edited by Mike_usn_ret; 04-22-2018 at 12:21 PM.

I dumped a couple of Sig P238s for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    It took literally several thousand rounds through my P380 over several years and constant parts filing and swapping before it finally got to the point where I could call it reliable. At long last it's my daily carry, but it was a very long road to get to this point. Would I recommend a Kahr .380 to someone? Hell no. Many of them do work fine out of the box, but a disproportionate number of them don't. It's a shame because when it actually DOES work you really can't beat it for a small .380 pistol.
    Well, we really don't have data to support that a disproportionate number of Kahr .380's don't work out of the box. We DO know that there are a disproportionate number of complaints. That distinction is only important to help keep things in perspective.

But I agree with dsk. I would never discourage anyone from buying any Kahr. But I can only recommend them to experienced shooters = those with experience tinkering and making a firearm/ammo combination run well and those with really strong shooting fundamentals. There are other brands that seem to be more forgiving (if that makes sense).

I was fortunate that my first MK9 ran perfect. It did teach me not to limpwrist though. It simply wouldn't tolerate that.
    ​O|||||||O

It does seem the small .380 Kahrs are difficult to get right. I had a CW380 which required a trip back to Kahr, underwent the "kitchen sink" repair method---after I ran 300 rounds through it.

I think we sometimes forget just how small the P/CW380 actually is for the cartridge it fires. Compare the Kahr to a PPK---it's a lot smaller and is a more complicated design. The Browning tilting barrel system is more complex than a simple blowback like the Walther.

.380 was a police service pistol caliber in Europe. Now we are running it in a pistol not much larger than a Baby Browning.

Kahr may well have made the smallest .380 ever. Well, the Seecamp is smaller but it's also much more expensive. And the Seecamp is also blowback.

I think sometimes they just make a lemon, and the smaller pistols are much more sensitive to anything being imperfect. My 9mm Kahrs have all been perfect. But they're bigger.