Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sold my p380

Bummer, Spank.

I was wary of my P380 when I bought it, so I gave it a lot of tune-up before even taking it out for the first time. The only thing I didn't touch was the freakishly-tight extractor. The gun has run fine, except the last time out I brought some Fiocchi, which did NOT run well at all. Maybe I should tune-up the extractor after all.

Don't feel too bad, we all get hosed once in a while. I've only had a few truly awful guns in my many years of shooting, the most recent of which was a Kimber Solo. Some guys like them, but I got taken to the cleaners on mine.

my P380: 4 yrs, 1700 rounds, $1500 total expenditure (ammo, range time), 3 trips back to factory (it may go back a fourth), and kahr's current answer is quite amazing:

Kahr has sent me 2 vids of a kahr employee firing a p380, successfully, with worse ammo than i use (i use blazer brass exclusively), and his technique results in very very little muzzle jump.

my wife and i have more muzzle jump.

kahr has asked me for a vid. background: i have over a dozen guns. i've been shooting for 45 yrs. i have two ccw's. among my guns is a cm9 which works flawlesslly, as do all of my other guns. this is the first gun that has been a problem, and a problem it IS!

you may ask why i persisted...a fair q...and it's because i revisit the reasons i bought it (small, pocketable well made lol, willing to spend the extra $$$) and the risks (380 caliber, tales of many ppl's woe's) and decided the reasons were still valid. but this is BEYOND testing my patience and commitment.

anyway, kahr is now claiming (though they won't put this in writing, yet) that the extensive malfunctions are me (and my wife, also a v experienced shooter) allowing too much muzzle jump. i have asked them if it is normal for their 380's not to function properly when there is 'too much muzzle jump' (however much that is..and, don't forget, this is a carry gun. small, hard to shoot, and imagine being in a 'situation' and asking the guy to just stay put while you check your grip/etc),.

this is nonsense. if they designed a gun that won't shoot properly under many 'normal' conditions, they shoudl be willing to say so, and save so many of us who are trying and trying, much trouble.

don't forget: i have many guns from a very very tight Les Baer Premier II, to ultra reliable glocks. and have MUCH experience, none with any problems whatsoever. hmm.

so i guess it's me (and my wife), right?

yes, i'm about to give up. i don't havce the heart to dump this onto somee unsuspecting soul, so i'll probably put it to sleep.

i hope this tale helps someone else out there who is considering a kahr 380.

i might add:

each time this gun, that didn't really have a problem, mind you, after all it was the shooter, right? ccame back from the factory, they'd perform major surgery on it...why, i wonder since it's the shooter. the last time it cam back, it had 16 failures in 100 rounds (ftf's, fte, ftrb, stovepipes). that was the improved/ back from kahr gun.

so now it's the shooters, right?

So, just curious, what are the problems you are having or have had with the thing? We might have some suggestions to ease your pain.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    So, just curious, what are the problems you are having or have had with the thing? We might have some suggestions to ease your pain.
    hi, thought i layed that out, no? anyway:

consistent failure to breech. then they 'fixed it' twice, then, 16 ftf, fte, f2b in 100 rounds.

they did everything, and to their credit they insist they they will fix it. i doubt that v much. i don't think they could ask for a more dedicated customer. if they advertised what a commitment it requires to get these things working, they wouldn't seel any

No offense but as much as I like the Kahr subcompacts, I don't have much faith in their ability to repair their own firearms. It seems all they are good at is parts changing. Have you ever considered letting a professional gunsmith check your pistol out? There are many capable ones out there. It might be way cheaper in the long run considering all the costs of ammo, range time, etc. etc.. And the many people here who sell theirs and say they take a beating or like you said "so i'll probably put it to sleep".

Extraction / Ejection / Feeding/

https://cylinder-slide.com/Category/KAHR2

Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    No offense but as much as I like the Kahr subcompacts, I don't have much faith in their ability to repair their own firearms. It seems all they are good at is parts changing. Have you ever considered letting a professional gunsmith check your pistol out? There are many capable ones out there. It might be way cheaper in the long run considering all the costs of ammo, range time, etc. etc.. And the many people here who sell theirs and say they take a beating or like you said "so i'll probably put it to sleep".

Extraction / Ejection / Feeding/

https://cylinder-slide.com/Category/KAHR2
    markman, no offensee taken. i appreciate the suggestion. finding a good one near my FL home will be a challenge. BUt more important: kahr has just confirmed, in writing, that muzzle flip (how much?) will upset the cycling of this gun. so 45 yrs of experience with over a dozen guns isn't enough to 'control' this firearm. amazing.

i have not a lot of faith that anyone can 'fix' a poor/challenging design. and, perplexing, is the fact that in 50 rounds, at the factory, they don't experience the prob. hmm.

instead of locating a very qualified gunsmiith, i may just 'yell uncle'...they win. i'll never, ever trust this gun. (ps, i'm now woried about my cm9; but that's a wholly different 'platform', so maybe no worry at all).

thanks,

You've lost faith in it, so it not worth further efforts. I don't know why a little tweaking on the extractor wouldn't fix this like it seems to on many others.
    I thought Kahr was aware of that issue and would look that over closely first thing.

No matter, once faith is lost it's time to move on. An it's only a 380 so certainly not worth of sleep loss.

I have heard through the grapevine that many of the guns they receive for repair work perfectly for them, one reason they were reluctant to send prepaid labels for awhile. Most of the issues we hear of are on the 380's. Hopefully one of these days the issues will be gone.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

500c, I've had some of them same problems with a PM9, CM9, CW380 and a CT380. I cured mine by adjusting the extractor tension. It's really not that hard to do, even if you only have a little bit of mechanical knowledge. And you can actually check your tension with a minimal amount of equipment just by removing the slide off your pistol. Here's a couple of links that will explain how to measure and how to adjust your extractor for the proper tension. It very well could be part of your problem.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...to-Battery-Fix

i think your advice, bawana, may be right on. i just don't trust it. my wife said that even if i get it back, and 100 rounds later it's fine, i'll still be concerned.

markham, thanks for the tip. just fyi, they 'replaced' the extractor twice so i wonder if they aren't aware of the tension pb. hmm. again, more rounds to test, and again, what if it works? how will i feel then.

i may be at the end point on this one. lesson learned, i guess. thanks guys