Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Slide doens't lock back on empty mag

Default Slide doens't lock back on empty mag

Hey folks,

I just picked up a Mk19 in 44mag, but one thing I noticed is that the slide doesn't lock back on an empty mag unless I push up on the magazine as I pull the slide back. This happens with both the factory mag that came with the gun and a second factory MR mag, so I'm thinking it's not an issue with the mag.

When the mag is fully inserted, I can see that the slide lock is pushed up against the bottom of the slide, and there's no play. However, as the cutout on the slide passes over it, the slide lock doesn't move upward to engage; I have to push the magazine up so that the faceplate is flush with the bottom of the grip in order for the slide lock to move up and engage in the cutout.

Has anyone else run into this issue before?

Seems to me that if you can lock the slide back by pushing up the slide lock by hand, your ammo
    isn't hot enough to get the slide back far enough by shooting it!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhart View Post
    Seems to me that if you can lock the slide back by pushing up the slide lock by hand, your ammo
    isn't hot enough to get the slide back far enough by shooting it!
    Agree and that the gun just might need a little more time to break in.

Stretching the mag spring has always worked for me...try it.
    That, or file back the follower surfaces that contact the mag lips to allow the follower to protrude further.
    jmo,
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Or it may just be your two magazines.

I have two factory .50AE mags that won’t lock the slide open. The other dozen or so mags I own in various calibers all work correctly. But as it turns out, these were the first and second .50 mags I bought. I thought maybe it was something with my ammo. But then bought another .50 mag and it works correctly.

Looks like the OP is a one-and-done member who has not been back since starting this thread...
    jmo,
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.