Tommy Gun   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CW45 owner first impressions

Default New CW45 owner first impressions

The forum logged me out so my novel got deleted. While technology failed me today, this pistol didn’t.

I picked up a CW45 a little bit ago and finally got out to the range today. It’s my first time with a 45. 99% of my shooting experience is 5.56, 9mm, and 5.7. I did inspect and clean it beforehand as well as hand cycle some ammunition. I’d read that you’re supposed to use the slide release to chamber a round but found that I could slowly ride the slide just fine as with other pistols. I’d guess they made some changes or maybe some people just got a lemon.

I put the 200 break in rounds through in one session. 100 rounds Winchester white box, 50 rounds Remington UMC, 50 rounds federal. I’m happy to report no malfunctions just as I would expect from standard range ammo. Has anyone had luck running steel or aluminum case? It would definitely help on cost as I continue to familiarize myself.

I had no issue with recoil and found I could slow or rapid fire fine. The sights are a bit odd but I guess I’ll just have to get used to it. Upon cleaning I noticed a lot more brass debris than I was used to like the extractor is really tearing the cases up. Is that considered normal operation or should I be concerned?

Any suggestions on holster for carry would be greatly appreciated as that was my intent with this purchase.

Good post and welcome to the forum. I like my cw45 a lot. I don’t think I have ever shot any steel cased 45 but I probably have shot some aluminum cased and best I recall the only round ever mine didn’t like was Hornady critical defense as it’s rather pointed. I just run federal or gold dot hollow points.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Duriel View Post
    The forum logged me out so my novel got deleted. While technology failed me today, this pistol didn’t.

I picked up a CW45 a little bit ago and finally got out to the range today. It’s my first time with a 45. 99% of my shooting experience is 5.56, 9mm, and 5.7. I did inspect and clean it beforehand as well as hand cycle some ammunition. I’d read that you’re supposed to use the slide release to chamber a round but found that I could slowly ride the slide just fine as with other pistols. I’d guess they made some changes or maybe some people just got a lemon.

I put the 200 break in rounds through in one session. 100 rounds Winchester white box, 50 rounds Remington UMC, 50 rounds federal. I’m happy to report no malfunctions just as I would expect from standard range ammo. Has anyone had luck running steel or aluminum case? It would definitely help on cost as I continue to familiarize myself.

I had no issue with recoil and found I could slow or rapid fire fine. The sights are a bit odd but I guess I’ll just have to get used to it. Upon cleaning I noticed a lot more brass debris than I was used to like the extractor is really tearing the cases up. Is that considered normal operation or should I be concerned?

Any suggestions on holster for carry would be greatly appreciated as that was my intent with this purchase.
    Welcome to the forums!
    Nice report for your first post

My CW45 works just fine with Blazer aluminum case ball ammo:

I installed Trijicon night sights on my CW45:

Did you check the empty brass to verify the debris was from it? I ask because primer smear (common in striker fired guns) can leave debris from the primers.

I carry mostly outside the waistband. These are the holsters I use for that:
    Mitch Rosen 5JR

Safariland 560 paddle holster

Galco's Yaqui slide (YAQ202B)

For inside the waistband:
    I have CW45 specific holster from High Desert Leather. It's similar to this one made for my CW9:

However, most of the time I just use this FIST holster made for a Glock 27

If I carried inside the waistband more often I would probably opt for something from Garret Industries.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thanks for the quick replies. I’ll pick up a box or two of aluminum and steel case next weekend and give it a run. I wanted to use normal ammo to break it in obviously. As for holsters, I don’t wear a suit often in my line of work so OWB isn’t really an option. I also live in Illinois so open carry is out.

As for the brass debris, I did notice the primer strikes were ragged and off center. I’d take a photo but the only option I see is for linking to another site.

Sounds like your CW45 I running good. I wouldn’t worry about anything just enjoy yourself with that new pistol.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Black Arch holsters are well made.

I avoid steel case ammo in my handguns for several reasons. Here's a good short read on it.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/stee...ammo-good-bad/

Welcome!
    Good to hear yours is running well too. Some of us like to use flush fitting magazines to opt out of the big plastic floor plate in the standard Kahr mags:

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Run the aluminum, leave the steel behind. Use it in your Russian guns.

My first trip with my PM45 we shot 350 rounds of mostly Blazer Aluminum. It ran great.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Duriel View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. I’ll pick up a box or two of aluminum and steel case next weekend and give it a run. I wanted to use normal ammo to break it in obviously. As for holsters, I don’t wear a suit often in my line of work so OWB isn’t really an option. I also live in Illinois so open carry is out.

As for the brass debris, I did notice the primer strikes were ragged and off center. I’d take a photo but the only option I see is for linking to another site.
    Check out Garret Holsters
    I have their Silent Thunder GT for my MK9 and like it quite a bit. They can make it for the CW45.

The forum has a 30 posts requirement before you can upload and attach photos on the site. In the meantime, you are correct about linking photos from another site as a option. I use https://postimages.org It's free and pretty painless to use. I prefer using it over the attach feature here.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>