Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Never drop your guard

Default Never drop your guard

This morning a female coworker brought in her husbands Remington 870. He's a retired officer from another agency. I'm playing middle man trying to sell it for them prior to a move down to Florida.

He's sent me pictures to help determine a price etc.

Anyhow she brings it to my desk and I anxious take it out of the case and think we'll practice safety here not for a moment thinking if could be loaded or that he would even have a loaded gun in the house.

Well in the immortal words of Gomer Pyle, surprise, surprise, surprise, 3 00 Bucks and 2 Slugs popped out as I cycled the trombone.
    Chamber was empty so it's probably been loaded since he retired 2 or 3 years back.

Be vigilant. I thought the coworker was going to faint when I started pulling shells out. I didn't faint but I was a little light headed.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'm glad that you didn't let YOUR guard down... OR ASSUME it was empty!
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Could have been ugly. This is the same people that are moving down to your neck of the woods. Quite a bit south of you.
    She's done here end of May. Going on a cruise soon I think and will look at houses a realtor has ready for them to look at.

I'd like to be done too but got no desire to move.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

A few years ago now I bought a S&W 642 for a good price from a guy. He handed the gun to me barrel first, with five 158 grn +P hollow points loaded in it. I turned the barrel away abruptly, emptied it and we made the deal. He giggled about the goof but I was quick and stern in telling him that If his finger had been in the trigger guard or moved towards it, I'd of knocked him right on his ass...
    He stopped smiling.
    Never assume any gun is safe... Prove its safe!
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

Holy pucker power 5 Bawann, glad you were careful and checked that bad boy!!!...That could have gone way wrong real fast....Glad you're ok....If you ever want to know how NOT to unload a 12 gauge shot gun inside a building just let me know, trust me it's quite an experience!

With no round in the chamber I wouldn't have gotten all That excited about it. Stupid gun handling but folks do crap like that all the time. As long as I maintain discipline..... Would not have stopped me from reaming the Violet, tho.
    NRA Benefactor

Hey Colonel Bawanna, I'm Sooooooo happy you followed the other colonel's rules.
    "Assume all guns are LOADED!"
    The convict and I went into a gun store a few years back and on the counter was a large clear glass cookie jar FULL of bullets.
    Of course we asked why his cookie jar was full of bullets…..He said, all those bullets were from guns that customers brought in for work "saying" they were empty
    as they passed the firearm across the counter!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    With no round in the chamber I wouldn't have gotten all That excited about it. Stupid gun handling but folks do crap like that all the time. As long as I maintain discipline..... Would not have stopped me from reaming the Violet, tho.
    This guy was a cop so he probably kept it full with empty chamber all the time. Part of the deterrent of a pump shotgun is chambering the first round.
    It's the universal sound of oh ca ca.

I'm sure the violet will do some serious reaming when she gets home. She's not a gun person at all and I'm sure she was pissed knowing she was driving around with a loaded shotgun in the car.

He's not a gun guy either, she said this was his last gun, when he retired he turned off the gun switch. They offered him his duty gun and he didn't want it.

Kind of sad.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Air, its about time you checked in with us. I figured for sure we was fixing to see other people, been plumb sad about it too. Figured you done run off with Greg down there Arizona way.

20 plus years ago when I was do rehab I worked at a gun shop for about a month, on the job training for free. I loved it, would have done better if I could hear.
    Anyhow one day a female police officer came in in uniform as said she needed some bullets. I asked her what size, she pulled her duty gun out of it's holster and pointed it right at me and said for this.
    Before I could even think, the owner (an older fella too) clear at the other end of the counter had her arm pinned to the glass counter top. Jerked the gun from her hand while pushing me away with his foot.
    He ran her out and told her not to come back ever.

Happened so quick I didn't even have a chance to be scared really. A lot of scary things happen in gun shops, I saw a lot in the month I was in one.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    This guy was a cop so he probably kept it full with empty chamber all the time. Part of the deterrent of a pump shotgun is chambering the first round.
    It's the universal sound of oh ca ca.
    I've heard that before, but I always have a round in the chamber when I carry and/or when I have the gun bedside. I feel that I'm so conditioned to "that" fact that I would be afraid that I would be counting on that round in the chamber, try to fire in self defense and then the gun wouldn't go bang and now the bad guy has the drop on me. I do better with consistent manuel of arms.
    I do realize that many LEO departments do not allow their people to carry a round in the chamber of a rifle or shot gun, so maybe they train enough with the long
    guns to be conditioned to it. Which is fine for them.