Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The title of this thread can be changed, if necessary: CT9 & CT380 range report

Default The title of this thread can be changed, if necessary: CT9 & CT380 range report

Well, I have some data and photos to report with regard to my CT9, and CT380, each of which/whom have presented different personalities at the range. But, each has demonstrated the ability to complete the “job” at the same level of proficiency.

First, I bought a CT9, followed all of Jocko’s break-in advice, racked it 400 times during the cleaning process, and took it to the range with 400 rounds of eight different brands of ammo. All 400 rounds went bang without a hitch. Not a single hiccup. AND, it was my most accurate pistol, at that time (vs a Glock 33, and a Kahr P380 that I already owned.)

Last year, I bought a CT380 after my wife determined that she liked the recoil of my P380 better than the CT9, but wished the grip was longer. Never one to (inadvertently) misunderstand the need(s) of my best friend and wonderful wife (seriously, she’s awesome), I saw that as a plea (and justification) to purchase a CT380 for her. I bought the Tungsten ceracote model with three-dot “combat sights”. (Spoiler Alert: I want to switch my P380 to those sights).

Well, I broke the CT380 in a little differently, due to neck/spine surgery recovery. I didn’t clean the “goo” out of it. I didn’t clean it at all. I went to the range with three types of ammo, and it hated one, and kinda put up with two of them.

It hated Perfecta. Remember the low price on Perfecta last year? So did I. I bought 500 rounds (over time) without testing it in my P380 or CT380. Both couldn’t even chamber it. This is not a discussion on extractor polishing, or extractor tension. But, Perfecta ammo has a really thick rim (.015mm more than “average”). My 380’s did not like that.

My P380 has LOVED everything else. The CT380 put up with PPU and Federal the first time out. By “put up with”, I mean every round chambered, but every round had to be slammed home the last 1/8”. I chalked it up to “tight tolerances, ceracote binding, etc.”, because it LOVED Hornady Critical Defense. However, if it had been life-or-death, I woulda died. But, we had not yet gotten close to the 200-round break-in MINIMUM that Kahr recommends.

Fast-Forward to now. I cleaned the gun. Very dirty. PPU is dirty. But, it shoots really well in my P380. I bought a box of Winchester White Box, expecting a “jam” every round due to the flat nose, and I took another 50 rounds of PPU, plus Ruger ARX, Speer Gold Dot, and Glaser Safety Slug (not the cheapest range/break-in ammo).

I now have the CT9 & CT380 ten-yard shot data (photos) to post, which should make any CT owners happy re. accuracy, given the correct ammo:

(Spoiler Alert:
    CT9: 10yd ZQI 9mm while “zeroing new laser sight”, and Perfecta 9mm @ 10 yds while zeroing new laser sight, vs a 5-shot “Iron Sight” group of Perfecta at 10yds.

CT 380: WWB 50 rds @ 7 yards, and PPU 40rds @ 7 yards, vs Speer Gold Dot (5 rds @ 10 yds), Ruger ARX (5rds @ 10yds), and Glaser Safety Slug 5rds @ 10 yds).

Post your bets, now!

Which ammo does each gun like the best?

(The CT380 still needs 150 rounds through it to be ready...)

Please take some time to review the photos. I could add more info, but it is late, and I can answer any questions.

-Wlf
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice shooting with the CT380. Did you have any failures the second time out?

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Only one failure to go into battery with the WWB, and 3 of the same with the PPU. It’s definitely getting better. It won’t get added to the rotation or given to my wife until it shoots 200 FMJ rounds without a hiccup, and 50 SD rounds without a hiccup. I have attached a photo of the ammo for the “final exam”. 0A22811E-8C84-4A8E-88DD-21468AD654A1.jpg

The accuracy? Right up there with my CT9, which is crazy. I think it has a lot to do with the 3-Dot sights, and the fact that I can pull the trigger smoothly on each gun without moving the gun.

Also, each gun I have seems to have one brand of ammo that is more accurate.

My CT380 (and my P380) seems to love ammo made by Corbon/Glaser. Take a look at the spreads and POI of each of the self defense brands I shot (for each one, I circled the number that I was aiming at). I did not adjust my POA based on where the bullets hit. My POA was the circled number, every time. Gold Dot was directly in the center, but high and low with each shot. The Ruger ARX was high and to the left (ARX had the same result in my P380). The Glaser Safety Slug is identical in shape and weight and velocity as Corbon PowrBall, which happens to be what I am most accurate with.

I was amazed at the consistency of the Glaser in the CT380, due to the distance.

I was just as amazed at the consistency of Perfecta FMJ in my CT9 at 10yds (the “face” shot in the CT9 target).

-Wlf

Excellent report Wlfman13!
    Thank you for the time and effort expended so that you could share it with us
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Wlfman13 View Post
    I was amazed at the consistency of the Glaser in the CT380, due to the distance.

-Wlf
    Are those Glaser Safety Slugs? Man they're like the Unicorn around here.

They are! I found them for “half off”, which means they were close to the same price as what I might pay for Critical Defense. Going through my ammo, I found a box of Corbon PowrBall, which has always been my go-to with the P380. It is scary consistent, and shoots just like the Glaser Safety Slug. I bought all four boxes, and told the guy I was gonna use them as a “final break-in” round. He looked at me like I was crazy. I said, “It’s my wife’s gun. It has to run perfectly.” He said, “Sounds like a good plan.”

I could view it as a waste of good ammo, or money and time well-spent. I’m viewing it as the latter. I viewed it the same way when I ran 8 different brands of FMJ through her CT9 in one night, and finished with 20 rounds of Gold Dot 147 grain. That thing is rock-solid, not finicky, and really accurate. I am hoping the time & ammo will be just as beneficial with the CT380.

This is what’s going down-range outa the CT380, next. I expect it to feed everything except the Winchester PDX1, and maybe the Aguila. Whatever the CT doesn’t eat will be run through my P380, or my NAA Guardian (my K380). The NAA eats everything.
    2DEA3777-621F-49FC-8DF2-45F51D935CDD.jpg

Wow, that's awesome. Well, if you run across any 9mm and/or .40 like that, maybe I could get you to send me some...lol

They have four boxes of .40, just waiting for a home, half off.

-Wlf

They have four boxes of .40, just waiting for a home, half off.

-Wlf
    Yes sir, ,,,,LOL Let me know,,,,,

Only one failure to go into battery with the WWB, and 3 of the same with the PPU. It’s definitely getting better. It won’t get added to the rotation or given to my wife until it shoots 200 FMJ rounds without a hiccup, and 50 SD rounds without a hiccup.

-Wlf
    make sure your wife shoots it as well before she carries it. What might be reliable to one shooter might not be to another. My wif's cw380 was 100% reliable for me but my wife couldn't get through a magazine without at least 1 malfunction.