Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new

Thread: PM9 Parts Kits

Default PM9 Parts Kits

Any PM9 general parts kits out there. If not, which parts would you have on hand? Which parts are likely to break first?
    Thanks

Great question. I would certainly start with a recoil spring assembly and a couple of extra mags.
    The pro's here will add more.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

It is my opinion, based on experience, that the more rounds that you put through a pistol the more spare parts you should have. At least a spare RSA and a couple of mag repair kits. Kahr pistols seem to have very good springs, but a full set of spare springs can come in handy and you can never have enough mags. Kahr mags have strong springs but have been known to break their followers, thus some folks will upgrade with aftermarket followers.

As a side note; I have way more money invested in mags than what I spent for the purchase of my CW40. I had my CW40 about ten years and quit counting the rounds that it has fired after about 2500. During that time I have replaced one RSA and two mag followers.

You have a great pistol, enjoy it!
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe

I pretty much agree. The PM9 will not be as abusive to the gun as the 40's. Follower breakage is generally associated with the 40's. Many upgrade to Lakeline for piece of mind anyhow.

I've not replaced a recoil spring yet, only one ever was a very old Browning High Power. But having a spare is a good thing.

Having magazines from here to the horizon and back is also a good thing, even better if they are all full.

Otherwise I don't see a big need for a spare parts kit, but again you'll never have a flat tire if you carry a spare.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    Great question. I would certainly start with a recoil spring assembly and a couple of extra mags.
    The pro's here will add more.
    ^^^ that’s all I keep. I really don’t expect the RSA to fail. But it will wear out eventually. And if I break a follower, I’ll just use a different mag until I order more. If anything worse than that breaks, I’ll just use a different pistol for a while. Not counting on that being necessary tho.
    ​O|||||||O

I maintain a collection of parts that I have had go missing for various reasons. I have spares of the extractor train... extractor, front and rear pins, and the spring. An "over-pressure event" can blow out the extractor and some of the other parts behind it. A spare RSA, for sure. And the slide lock spring, washer, and screw. That spring can get damaged by inserting the slide lock's pin into it directly and bending the spring, or getting the free end bent one way or the other during improper insertion, too. I've had both and I've had a spring just break into two pieces in the middle(?!). If you ever take your slide apart, there are SEVERAL springs and parts that are small and can disappear... the tiny spring under the striker safety, for one.

I do the same for all of my pistols... Glocks and my Ruger, too... all autos.

I've lost three 9mm extractors... all related to a certain manufacture's handful of weak cases in a batch of "factory reloads"... in three different Kahrs... PM9, P9, and K9. I only found one.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by healey100 View Post
    Any PM9 general parts kits out there. If not, which parts would you have on hand? Which parts are likely to break first?
    Thanks
    none
    NRA Benefactor