I just mentioned experienced shooters in another thread and it got me thinking. I defined an experienced shooter as one who is knowledgeable enough about firearms to get a finicky one running well. And one who has strong enough shooting fundamentals that his gun operates properly.

I realized that I don't know too many of those. For example:

• I attended a sporting clays lesson with a partner who brought a dirty shotgun. I had to endure the lecture even though my gun was spotless.
  • I nicknamed my brother-in-law, Mr. Teacup Limpwrister. He has never been able to shoot any of my Kahrs with his teacup grip. He thinks I'm crazy for owning them. But I guess it never occurred to him that there might be a better way to shoot.
  • A buddy attended CCW class with me. His gun was so rusty he couldn't field strip it. The instructor had to take him aside and help him clean it.

I prefer not to preach to anyone despite how passionate I am about maintenance and training. So I keep my mouth shut. But maybe that's why I like it here on the forums: because so many of you think like me. But are we the exception...or the rule? I am curious about your experiences.

Thanks.