Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Kahr Shop

Thread: Experienced Shooters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Experienced Shooters

I just mentioned experienced shooters in another thread and it got me thinking. I defined an experienced shooter as one who is knowledgeable enough about firearms to get a finicky one running well. And one who has strong enough shooting fundamentals that his gun operates properly.

I realized that I don't know too many of those. For example:

• I attended a sporting clays lesson with a partner who brought a dirty shotgun. I had to endure the lecture even though my gun was spotless.
    • I nicknamed my brother-in-law, Mr. Teacup Limpwrister. He has never been able to shoot any of my Kahrs with his teacup grip. He thinks I'm crazy for owning them. But I guess it never occurred to him that there might be a better way to shoot.
    • A buddy attended CCW class with me. His gun was so rusty he couldn't field strip it. The instructor had to take him aside and help him clean it.

I prefer not to preach to anyone despite how passionate I am about maintenance and training. So I keep my mouth shut. But maybe that's why I like it here on the forums: because so many of you think like me. But are we the exception...or the rule? I am curious about your experiences.

Thanks.
    ​O|||||||O

Experience means nothing if you don’t learn from it and improve.

There are a lot of people out there who like tools, but don't like to take care of them. At the least, you should be able to clean, disassemble, and use your tools efficiently. If you can't, then maybe you shouldn't have the right to use them. You put yourself and others at a risk by not doing so. I'm sure that limp wristing is a major cause of malfunctions out there............ Expensive tools they are. They need to be respected. If that was my buddy, there's no way I could keep my mouth shut. Sorry, where did he think he was going? If I would have been the instructor, that would have been an auto fail, unless he had brought a firearm along that actually worked.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    There are a lot of people out there who like tools, but don't like to take care of them. At the least, you should be able to clean, disassemble, and use your tools efficiently. If you can't, then maybe you shouldn't have the right to use them. You put yourself and others at a risk by not doing so. I'm sure that limp wristing is a major cause of malfunctions out there............ Expensive tools they are. They need to be respected. If that was my buddy, there's no way I could keep my mouth shut. Sorry, where did he think he was going? If I would have been the instructor, that would have been an auto fail, unless he had brought a firearm along that actually worked.
    I got a lot of practice keeping my mouth shut...being married 30 plus years...
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    I got a lot of practice keeping my mouth shut...being married 30 plus years...
    Hmmmm.....Maybe that's why my marriage only lasted eight years.

I'm not a gunsmith so if there is a problem with one of my firearms that I can't solve I'll bring it to one. As far as being able to clear a jam or keeping your firearm clean and operable I am all about that kind of stuff.

The other part of being an experienced shooter, IMHO, is being able to handle any firearm you plan on shooting safely. I am no expert with every firearm ever made so if someone wants me to shoot something I'm not familiar with I'll ask for a little lesson before I'll handle it, let alone shoot it.

So, do I consider myself an experienced shoot? Yes, I do.

But only on what I'm familiar with. I've seen many firearms that I'm not even close to being familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    I'm not a gunsmith so if there is a problem with one of my firearms that I can't solve I'll bring it to one. As far as being able to clear a jam or keeping your firearm clean and operable I am all about that kind of stuff.

The other part of being an experienced shooter, IMHO, is being able to handle any firearm you plan on shooting safely. I am no expert with every firearm ever made so if someone wants me to shoot something I'm not familiar with I'll ask for a little lesson before I'll handle it, let alone shoot it.

So, do I consider myself an experienced shoot? Yes, I do.

But only on what I'm familiar with. I've seen many firearms that I'm not even close to being familiar with.
    That fits my definition of an experienced shooter AJ.
    ​O|||||||O

I define an experienced shooter as all the above, plus has been in active shooting situations (LEO, military, competition, shooting school), to be able to give good, practical advise.

AJbert, ….ditto with what you said.

Personally, I would also add the following; I don't just shoot, I train when I'm at the range and I spend time dry firing at home. Dry fire doesn't only help trigger control, draw stroke, you can also work on magazine manipulations.

At a MINIMUM if you carry you need to be able to field strip, not only for cleaning but also to examine the workings of the gun. You may not know how to repair the gun but you NEED to be able to notice problems……That's a minimum!!!

I shoot whenever I get an opportunity. Sometimes I've been able to shoot twice in a week. My carry guns are mostly Kahrs, so I am always training with the same manual of arms. Same trigger pull. Same ergonomics. I believe you have to go slowly before you can go quickly, so about half my shooting at every visit is slow, deliberate, bullseye shooting. I enjoy seeing whether I can put rounds through the same hole. But I also shoot everything from NAA mini-revolvers to .44 Magnum revolvers, and I shoot them with varying levels of proficiency.

I've taken several firearms training classes on concealed carry and shotgun usage. I've taken an Appleseed course.

I have built Glocks. I've hand polished all the stainless on every firearm I own.

I obsessively research gun stuff on the Internet.

I've taught a handful of people to shoot. I've convinced a couple of friends to get their concealed carry permits. One of them got the bug for a while---bought a subcompact 9mm, a compact .40, and an AR-15. Then he quit. The other has the bug but not the disposable income. He bought his first pistol---a SW9VE Smith and Wesson. Not a terrible pistol but a poor concealed carry choice. He went shopping without me.

But I'm definitely the most informed of my group,and I'm the guy they come to with gun questions.