Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Home Defense Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    ...second floor is even better. If your bedroom is upstairs, covering the stairs puts them at a huge disadvantage.
    +++
    Yup. That’s my whole “plan.” In the extremely unlikely event, I’ll cover the stairs using a high capacity handgun with night sights (currently Glock 19x.) They’re not coming up and we’re not going down.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

I've read through all the pages and NO ONE has mentioned dogs. In the USMC, they taught us to have layers of self defense. Depending on how big your place is, 50 yds out, 25 yds out, 10 yds out, etc. Here on the homestead, we have donkeys ( great alarms)out in the "back 40", we have Guineas( even better alarms) in the back yard, we have Love Birds in the back of the house and 4 dogs, 2 of which stay outside and 2 that come in at night. If anyone was lucky enough to get close, a 12ga SG is waiting. I won't pretend to be able to come up from a sound sleep and be able to get my pistol on a moving target and be able to make good hits. 00 Buck is more forgiving. For my city dwelling friends, I suggest motion detecting flood lights around the outside of the house and smaller motion detecting flood lights inside the house. Get noisy, squawking birds ( if ya can stand them), but definitely get a dog. We have a Chihuahua that can hear folks outside, 20 yds away. We have Australian Cattle dogs. Cockroaches hate lights and noises. Don't plant bushes in front of your windows. Don't flaunt wealth or advertise that you have guns in the house. Put home security signs around your house (even if you don't have it) DO get those little alarms for your windows and those little wedge alarms for the exterior doors, at night. Btw they also make quick access lock boxes, in case you have children( in Florida, it's a crime to not have guns locked up , if you have kids in the house).

^^^ yep. All good points above. We have two noisy dogs who are trained to bark their heads off whenever someone comes to the house. It’s a little irritating when friends come over though. Getting them to bark was easy. Training then to stop was a little more difficult. 😏
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    ^^^ yep. All good points above. We have two noisy dogs who are trained to bark their heads off whenever someone comes to the house. It’s a little irritating when friends come over though. Getting them to bark was easy. Training then to stop was a little more difficult. 
    Yep a bark collar works well....lol We have one that barks too much and so we put one on her, but only need it for a little while. Now, if they even see it, they shut right up. I can put it on them, but not turn it on and it works.,...lol

Also, I'm a Glazier (glass man) , I can get into your patio doors in about 2 seconds( lift them out), so run a few screws inside , at the header( not all the way through, to the outside), above the doors, so that it works, but can't be lifted up (unless you remove the screws). Put the broomstick down against the opening door( inside). Also, they make locks that you can put on your windows. so that they can't be opened all the way, that are removable (in case you need to, from the inside). Put locks on your skylights. Put mirrors around inside your house, so that you can see around corners and into rooms, etc, from strategic spots. Install cameras. Remember, if they get close to your house, several defenses have failed, if they get inside your house, even MORE defenses have failed. You want to deter and avoid the confrontation altogether.