Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Strategy

It all depends on your home, its surroundings, and who you need to defend in your home.

If you live in the boonies on several acres, and you know for certain that the three creeps that just jumped your fence are coming your way but are still 50-100 yards away, a rifle is the right tool.

But where do you stop? A rifle in every room? If you live in a one-room shack, you're good. If you live in a sprawling mansion, that's another matter.

I only have one firearm that's locked up. The rest are for the getting. If you have no children in the house, I don't see a problem in taking a rifle/shotgun out of the safe and putting it next to you at bedside. Lock it up when you leave, and take it back out when home. I know people who have many firearms in different places for defense. A bit much for me, but no one would call you crazy...........and they are out of the safe and being used, kind of. The wifey and I have discussed what we will do in case of trouble at one home. We need to get a bit more prepared for up nort, because everyone and their brother and sister own a rifle.

Here’s a comparison of pistol/rifle/shotgun for home defense. Maybe a lot of opinion but still informational. Check out his explaination of over penetration...

https://youtu.be/i3sLHGduI3w
    ​O|||||||O

Paul Harrel's "Top 5 Home Defense Guns"

https://youtu.be/K4FESGjiH3s

My CZ P07 is my nightstand gun. Can not see how a rifle can offer me a better choice for home defense when I can turn, grab and shoot instead of getting up and taking a rifle in my hands and positioning it....just to many more steps for me. If I have to get out of bed.......less compact area=more ability to navigate thru hallway and rooms with a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_usn_ret View Post
    My CZ P07 is my nightstand gun. Can not see how a rifle can offer me a better choice for home defense when I can turn, grab and shoot instead of getting up and taking a rifle in my hands and positioning it....just to many more steps for me. If I have to get out of bed.......less compact area=more ability to navigate thru hallway and rooms with a handgun.
    Yes. A CZP07 or an HKUSP are my typical nightstand guns and my first option for defense. But I'm not convinced that it's that much more difficult to navigate thru your own house with a rifle. At least not so difficult that I scratch that as a number 2 or 3 option. 30 rounds + additional magazines of protection are a lot to give up. I'm also not convinced that capacity, if available, isn't a viable tool. The only argument against it is the logic that we will rarely if ever need it. We are preparing for what rarely happens right?
    ​O|||||||O

^^^ maybe I should just get a Glock and a couple of them 30 round magazines... best of both worlds?
    ​O|||||||O

Prior to "The Chair". I made it a point that I had to move a short distance from the bed, just out of reach. My thinking is I wanted to make sure I was semi awake and able to make a better split second decision should it become necessary.

Now I keep it closer since getting just out of reach is more problematic and time consuming.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I used to put my alarm clock "just out of reach" so I'd have a better chance of being fully awake by the time I hit the button. I've since gotten used to getting up at 6am so no need for that any more.

If you hold a pistol in a regular arms-out stance, you take up about the same amount of space in front of you as a carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Prior to "The Chair". I made it a point that I had to move a short distance from the bed, just out of reach. My thinking is I wanted to make sure I was semi awake and able to make a better split second decision should it become necessary.

Now I keep it closer since getting just out of reach is more problematic and time consuming.
    I'll admit I was a little leery of getting a bedside gun for Smiley (Mrs. b4). Always figured I'd get shot on my way back from the bathroom. I got over that...sorta...I still sleep with one eye open.
    ​O|||||||O