Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Yes. A CZP07 or an HKUSP are my typical nightstand guns and my first option for defense. But I'm not convinced that it's that much more difficult to navigate thru your own house with a rifle. At least not so difficult that I scratch that as a number 2 or 3 option. 30 rounds + additional magazines of protection are a lot to give up. I'm also not convinced that capacity, if available, isn't a viable tool. The only argument against it is the logic that we will rarely if ever need it. We are preparing for what rarely happens right?
    If you don't think that it's difficult to navigate around your home with a rifle versus pistol, try it in the dark sometime. First off, I believe in letting the "fool" navigate around in my unfamiliar home in the dark. I'll stay put, and be on the floor bedside using it for cover waiting. If your foolish enough to have your handgun stretched out in front of you while navigating around your home in the dark, big mistake. Every corner you come to, they can grab the barrel of a rifle or grab your handgun in a flash. One more reason to stay put. Navigating around in your home, not knowing what the "fool" has for a weapon is a good way to get killed. Unlike my home, which doesn't have a second floor is even better. If your bedroom is upstairs, covering the stairs puts them at a huge disadvantage.

We have escape routes planned from every room in the house. Getting to those is our primary strategy. How many rounds would I like to have available while we accomplish that? As many as possible. That's why I am considering getting the rifle down from the safe. But that doesn't mean I risk my life to go straight to the rifle. You underestimate me. We are getting out if we can.

Hunkering behind cover is another good strategy but a secondary one for us. Again. More ammo is good. So maybe the rifle gets stored at bedside like you and some others have suggested. I'm still thinking that through. A secure location is essential.

As for the difficulty of navigating through our home: the whole darn thing is gonna be difficult. I'm not for letting that stop me from being as prepared as possible.
    ​O|||||||O

I guess that's where we are different. I am not going to leave MY house. They are going to leave MY house. Their only decision is how they would like to leave, and how fast. I have the luxury of owning an old house. At night, you can hear every creak, step, etc. I will always know where they are in my house. Most likely, they do damage getting in. I don't want them doing more damage and rummaging through our things, while I am across the street waiting for LE to show up, which they see, and escape out the back, where there are many alleys, fences, dogs. They don't make it easy for LE in this city. That's part of mine/wifes plan. We believe that although, taking someone's life is the farthest thing from our minds, if someone has the guts, moxie, stupidity, however you want to label it, to enter our home, illegally, without permission, and threaten our safety, our possessions, our peace of mind, then they deserve to get the maximum that law allows.

^^^ Indeed. We all are different as we are all responsible for our decisions. Makes sense.
    ​O|||||||O

You saying I'm different? Hmmm.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Between night lights and street lights, it's never totally dark in our house. Even if the power goes off, the night lights are constantly charged and will turn on.

Grabbing my gun as I turn the corner - someone's been watching too many Hollywierd movies, if you ask me. Sure, it could happen, but really?

Our bedroom is at the end of a "funnel of death" hallway, I can just wait at my bedroom door till they are visible. Before then, the dogs will be yapping their heads off. They're small, so there's little chance of hitting them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Between night lights and street lights, it's never totally dark in our house. Even if the power goes off, the night lights are constantly charged and will turn on.

Grabbing my gun as I turn the corner - someone's been watching too many Hollywierd movies, if you ask me. Sure, it could happen, but really?

Our bedroom is at the end of a "funnel of death" hallway, I can just wait at my bedroom door till they are visible. Before then, the dogs will be yapping their heads off. They're small, so there's little chance of hitting them.
    Yes, grabbing your gun as you round a corner, if you plan on sticking it out there for them. I don't watch movies and have spent my last 63 years in reality. " Sure it could happen but really?" Talk to the family that lives about a block from our home, where we often walk our dog. Their relative was killed 2 weeks ago, by someone who shot them 5 times through a kitchen window from outside in their yard. According to relatives, he was 66 years old, well known in the neighborhood, and no one can see a motive here. " Sure it could happen, but really?" Yeah, really. Walk around your home at night, with a handgun at arms length, and you're a damn fool.

^^^ that's kinda my motivation for this thread: who knows what could happen?
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    You saying I'm different? Hmmm.
    They threw away the mold.....
    ​O|||||||O

That's probably a good thing.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."