Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Strategy

Default Home Defense Strategy

I been thinking more and more about adopting a fight-to-a-rifle home defense strategy and I was wondering how you all felt about that and if you all had any advice or criticisms. Does it make sense to stow/secure a rifle in an accessible place then use your nightstand gun as a means to fight your way to it? Just in case your nightstand gun isn't enough to stop the threat(s)? It should be an option right? Since my safe is in a remote part of the house, anything stowed in there wouldn't be too helpful.
    ​O|||||||O

What's on the other side of your walls? No concerns about over penetration with a rifle? Would a shotgun work? Pistols are often easier to keep closer to the bed and in that scenario using one to get to your long gun is a good option. But for middle of the night defense, why a rifle? Not criticizing just curious.

Do you have young children in the house? That matters when you decide on your strategy.
    This is our strategy/plan; We have motion detecters is vulnerable areas in the house.
    With the layout of our home there is a long hallway that leads to our bedroom….in that hallway we have a two step ladder with a flood light (the kind you put on a garage) on it that is triggered by a motion detector. We made sure, by trial and error, that the exact location would blind the person or persons coming down the hall way without allowing them to see into our bedroom. We love our targets VERY visible!!!! So, we have the light as a distraction, and the two step ladder acts as an obstacle. In the bed room Hubby (who would be the first person spotted) has a shot gun on a portable three rifle stand (it makes it much easier to grab the gun), and a STI 45 on the night stand. The plan is for him to grab the shot gun take two steps into the bathroom (concealment and a little bit of cover)
    where his carry gun is also on the bathroom counter. I am on the other side of the bed which wouldn't immediately put me in the line of fire. My job is to roll out of bed hide behind it (concealment, no cover) and grab my Springfield 45 (13 + !, down loaded to 12 + !) and my cell phone with 911 already punched in.
    We have practiced our plan and "actually" got to test it out when our alarm malfunctioned (which has been corrected). It was a reassuring rehearsal…WOW…we rolled into it without a problem, thank the Lord.
    We do have other plans that are more flexible if someone breaks in when we are awake and in other rooms. For instance, we have identified hiding places that need to be carefully approached. Also, if someone unexpectedly knocks on the door (which happens now and then) one person answers the door while the person stays out of sight but aware and ready. This may seem being over prepared but I grew up in the inner city of Detroit. We would rather over prepare than be victims!!

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    What's on the other side of your walls? No concerns about over penetration with a rifle? Would a shotgun work? Pistols are often easier to keep closer to the bed and in that scenario using one to get to your long gun is a good option. But for middle of the night defense, why a rifle? Not criticizing just curious.
    Capacity?
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by AIRret View Post
    Do you have young children in the house? That matters when you decide on your strategy.
    This is our strategy/plan; We have motion detecters is vulnerable areas in the house.
    With the layout of our home there is a long hallway that leads to our bedroom….in that hallway we have a two step ladder with a flood light (the kind you put on a garage) on it that is triggered by a motion detector. We made sure, by trial and error, that the exact location would blind the person or persons coming down the hall way without allowing them to see into our bedroom. We love our targets VERY visible!!!! So, we have the light as a distraction, and the two step ladder acts as an obstacle. In the bed room Hubby (who would be the first person spotted) has a shot gun on a portable three rifle stand (it makes it much easier to grab the gun), and a STI 45 on the night stand. The plan is for him to grab the shot gun take two steps into the bathroom (concealment and a little bit of cover)
    where his carry gun is also on the bathroom counter. I am on the other side of the bed which wouldn't immediately put me in the line of fire. My job is to roll out of bed hide behind it (concealment, no cover) and grab my Springfield 45 (13 + !, down loaded to 12 + !) and my cell phone with 911 already punched in.
    We have practiced our plan and "actually" got to test it out when our alarm malfunctioned (which has been corrected). It was a reassuring rehearsal…WOW…we rolled into it without a problem, thank the Lord.
    We do have other plans that are more flexible if someone breaks in when we are awake and in other rooms. For instance, we have identified hiding places that need to be carefully approached. Also, if someone unexpectedly knocks on the door (which happens now and then) one person answers the door while the person stays out of sight but aware and ready. This may seem being over prepared but I grew up in the inner city of Detroit. We would rather over prepare than be victims!!
    Very good points and suggestions. We have a similar lighting strategy. I am in the process of rethinking the movement procedure and we will need to practice that. Placement of the rifle will be a big factor. It has to be secure but accessible. Shotgun is a good tool but typically holds fewer rounds than a handgun. I'm comfortable with a handgun in a low round count fight.

We have escape routes planned and those are preferable. But what if we get trapped/cornered? 30/60/90 rounds could save our lives? Use the handgun to get to the rifle then the rifle to get Smiley to safety.

I'm just starting to think this through. I've previously focused on quickly stopping the threat. But reality might not be that simple. And rounds available could help.

Am I alone in this train of thought? Thanks.
    ​O|||||||O

Fighting to get a rifle can be dangerous. It reminds me of:

"When you are to your A$$ in alligators, remember the mission is to drain the swamp."

In your or my case, the mission is simply to expel the criminals and protect the family. Do well with what you have handy.

With all of the hiding spots and corners in a house, I don't know why anyone would want to be tiptoeing around with something that had a long barrel. Too easy to be grabbed, or hit something while turning quickly. In the home scenario I believe that a high cap handgun is your best friend. And a place to hunker down. Unless you keep the rifle/shotgun by your bed stand. " I'm in here."

Quote Originally Posted by CPTKILLER View Post
    Fighting to get a rifle can be dangerous. It reminds me of:

"When you are to your A$$ in alligators, remember the mission is to drain the swamp."

In your or my case, the mission is simply to expel the criminals and protect the family. Do well with what you have handy.
    That's the thought: why shouldn't a rifle be handy? In my case I currently have a rifle that is 99% useless in a home defense situation because of where it is stored. Isn't that a waste of resources? If I can make it more accessible, can't I also make it less dangerous to get to? And, if the mission is to expel criminals and protect the family, shouldn't I have access to all the tools available?

I'm just thinking out loud and appreciate the feedback.
    ​O|||||||O

Is this a valid example of the potential of keeping a rifle and mags in a more accessible place? "...I didn't have time...I grabbed a handful (of ammunition) and started loading a magazine..." He did an amazing job and ultimately stopped the threat. But who knows what could have happened that required more than a handful of ammo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15rlZKnR5ns
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by CPTKILLER View Post
    Fighting to get a rifle can be dangerous. .
    So can facing a threat with an already expelled 15 round handgun magazine... Is your point valid? Should there be a plan B, C, D...?
    ​O|||||||O