Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? Defective Kahrs ?

Default ? Defective Kahrs ?

I'm wondering if the people that say there gun is defective haven't really lubed and cleaned them correctly as per the sticky lube points. It really made a difference today compared to the first time I shot mine without being lubed correctly. Today, flawless.

I don’t think so. Especially with the 380 models. Some of them just don’t work right without some modifications. Others work fine with a simple clean and lube.

I had a CW380 that had battery failures with every brand of ammo I tried except Hornady Critical Defense. I sent it in for repairs that didn’t fix the problem.

Conversely, I just picked up a CT380 and with a simple clean and lube it has run 200 rounds including 5 different ammo types with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I clean and polish the feed ramp, and internals and lube all guns I buy before shooting them. The CW 380 was the only firearm that gave me fits breaking it in. Over 700 rds and the extractor mod before it obtained a flawless performance. It is still flawless (neighbor has it now) and has great accuracy. I think Kahr firearms (especially the 380 models) may get a bad rap from a few owners that do not have the patience to break them in....and I mean some take much longer than the 200 rds Kahr recommends. I know I called my CW380 several names not used since my navy days, where as my CM9 was great first time on the range. The Taurus G2c I just bought was one of the surprises from a out of the box, cheaper firearm and I would recommend it to anyone. Once I get my CM9 back from trigger repair, the G2c becomes a back up to it. The CM9 still is my favorite SD pistol I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_usn_ret View Post
    I clean and polish the feed ramp, and internals and lube all guns I buy before shooting them. The CW 380 was the only firearm that gave me fits breaking it in. Over 700 rds and the extractor mod before it obtained a flawless performance. It is still flawless (neighbor has it now) and has great accuracy. I think Kahr firearms (especially the 380 models) may get a bad rap from a few owners that do not have the patience to break them in....and I mean some take much longer than the 200 rds Kahr recommends. I know I called my CW380 several names not used since my navy days, where as my CM9 was great first time on the range. The Taurus G2c I just bought was one of the surprises from a out of the box, cheaper firearm and I would recommend it to anyone. Once I get my CM9 back from trigger repair, the G2c becomes a back up to it. The CM9 still is my favorite SD pistol I own.
    Lol, man you are singing to the choir. I hear everything your are saying. Some guy has a problem with a gun and it takes off like wildfire on the internet. Now so many experts ready to bash a gun when it reality they are such small percentages and quite a few of them that bash have never even owned one. Yes, just a little bit of patience is usually all that is required. Some minor adjustment. My CW380 was bashed by many. I ignored the bashing and bought one. Yea, it took a little time to break in but so what! Now shoots just lovely. I did have one problem. My trigger would not reset. Man was I upset. Turned out that I had tried a different lube and it had gummed up the striker channel. Actually happened to some other guns I had. I ended up just taking them all down and cleaning the crap out.
    I also think it might happen more with nice quality guns that have tight tolerances. All these new Parts, all working together, it just takes a while to break in. I also am a believer in letting recoil Springs "Set" for a few days. Good quality magazines are usually very strong, and puts a lot of pressure sending the round up. Pressure is Pressure. And It is my Belief that can cause a problem, I have never owned a Taurus. However I have shot many and all shot fine. At the club I belong to there are a number of members that own them and quite fond of them.
    The internet is the internet, take it all with a grain of salt when you start to hear the bashing. Many times it turns out to be simple jealousy. Go figure.

I do believe that the operator's maintenance routine is important to break-in and the continued functionality of any firearm. Firearms in general have become so good that there are many new shooters out there who expect/demand that their guns run perfect out of the box with little to no input on their part. They are not entirely wrong.

Us old guys though recall when testing ammo (to find what runs in your gun) was a normal part of break-in. We seem to have a more diligent pre-shoot routine and we also tend to be more accepting of the need to tinker. Regardless of how good guns have become, I feel those are still very important attributes for all gun owners. As mentioned above, try owning a Kahr 380 without them.
    ​O|||||||O

Really, a gun should run just fine as it comes from the factory. We're not buying an 80% kits that require finishing before they will function properly. If the gun comes with rough machining and maladjusted extractor, then the workers in the factory are doing shoddy work and the quality control people are asleep at the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    Really, a gun should run just fine as it comes from the factory. We're not buying an 80% kits that require finishing before they will function properly. If the gun comes with rough machining and maladjusted extractor, then the workers in the factory are doing shoddy work and the quality control people are asleep at the wheel.
    Yes. But do some shooters use that logic as an excuse for not taking care of or learning how to work on their guns? In other words, do they blame the gun when some simple attention to the firearm would do? I think that's the OP's point.

The key word in your post is "should".
    ​O|||||||O

Also. I think the "out of the box" term can be misleading. The attitude that a gun should run perfectly without even a simple field strip and cleaning is a poor one. And it is pretty irresponsible in my humble opinion. There are more benefits in the simple prep to a new gun than just getting it cleaned. It's a process that allows you to inspect for those potential flaws you mention and a chance to familiarize yourself with your new firearm. That should be very important in anyone's opinion.
    ​O|||||||O

I agree with b4's post. When I got my PM45 with those thoughts in mind. I wanted to check the striker channel for junk as at that time it was said to be pretty common.
    BUT I also wanted to shoot it "out of the box". So I carefully disassembled it and checked the striker channel. It was pristine and covered in a light thin oil.
    I put it back together, no cleaning, no additional lubrication. Nothing.

Took it to the range and shot 350 rounds first outing with no cleaning. No bobbles at all. I did shoot other stuff so it had opportunities to cool down.

I've never done that to any other gun nor to I plan to make it a regular practice. It was kind of an experiment as it were.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    I always clean and lube a new firearm first before shooting, but I also agree with the above statement. Let's be honest here. Firearms are expensive and manufacturers should realize that not everyone is a home gunsmith. Cleaning and lubing before shooting is a no brainer, and if they can't do that, then they probably shouldn't own a firearm until they learn. Even though if it doesn't work straight out of the box dirty, it probably won't function correctly if I have to depend my life on it when/if it's dirty. I think that limp wristing is a major contributor to issues with small firearms. They will swear that they are not doing it, but they are. The only firearm that I did have a small issue with in over 40+ years is my MK9. That was my issue. I was limping it, even though I didn't think I was. In a perfect world, all gun owners would be safe, knowledgeable, and be able to do minor things/repairs to their firearm. To expect someone who's not a gunsmith, to file, grind, adjust, etc. a new firearm is bull$#!t. A $200 firearm, you can't expect much, but more costly firearms, there is no excuse for firearms that don't work properly. Fortunately, I have never had an issue with any handgun I have owned. If I had, it would be down the road, whether I could fix the problem or not. If I could fix the problem, I would, and the firearm would still be down the road just on principle alone. I refuse to make someone richer, on my time and my dime. When you are not a home gunsmith, telling someone who's just purchased a firearm and have cleaned and lubed it, and have had nothing but misery, that these smaller firearms can have issues, doesn't help them at all. It really doesn't matter whether it's only every 5000 handguns that have difficulties, or every ten thousand. It shouldn't happen, not these days with the engineering and production equipment. You can tell an owner that these are small firearms, and that a lot goes on inside when firing and that this reaction has such a small operating space that sometimes you have issues. They don't care. They paid good denaro, and they want it to work properly. The exact same thing, when you purchase a TV, a washer, a lawnmower, etc. It happens with all manufacturers. When browsing gun sale sites, I notice many, many small firearms for sale. I would assume that many of these people have had enough, dealing with issues. Unfortunately, this isn't a world/generation that puts too much emphasis on knowing/learning about their new purchase, they just want it to work. Times have changed.................people that can take care of their firearms are a dying breed. That's scary............................