Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Magnum Research new

Thread: Taurus TX22 First impressions

Default Taurus TX22 First impressions

Recently Taurus introduced their new .22lr pistol and it has gotten good reviews by us beta testers. I bought one about a week ago at my LGS for $309. It comes with two 16 round mags a threaded adapter for a silencer, a mag loader and the usual other stuff in a cardboard box. My first Taurus. I've been scared away by internet low rating reports which seem to be hit or miss. I'm happy to say... so far so good.

The pistol is on the larger size, for a .22lr, with a full sized grip, which has an excellent tactile feel to it, a striker, a pretty good from the box trigger and nice usable three dot sights. Take down is easy with a Glock style pull down latch. It has a removable barrel, not fixed, so cleaning is simpler. My gun came sighted in perfectly for the 25 to 30 feet I usually shoot at. The frame has a rail, so I also attached a small green laser. The laser is so much fun on just about any pistol, (I like them)! There are safety and slide release levers.

I took all of the different brands and style of .22lr I had on hand, especially some of the bulk loose packed stuff, to see what functioned. In the past some of the bulk stuff gave me fits in some of my other .22s, but the TX22 handle them all with no problems. I was most surprised by how easy the pistol was to shoot accurately. At that range, 25-30 feet, I usually shoot at 1/2" dots on a pie plate. Right from the box I'm getting nice quarter size groups with the 3 dots.

So far I've found no flaw in the design or quality. Granted it's only been a short while and 10 mags or so, but I'm satisfied it was money well spent. The 16 round capacity is nice too. It's easy to load even without the included loading tool. It cost a bit more than the Ruger SR22 I bought used several years ago but could easily become a favorite plinker. If one is in the market for a nice .22, the Taurus is a worthy contender, especially at the current prices.

Here's a rather poor quality photo.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

This seems to be a pretty good pistol for practice or utility work on rural property.

Good review.

Thanks for the review. Good to know the pistol can handle the $0.03/round ammo.
    I am shooting a whole lot more and often since .22 ammo came down to normal price.
    Ruger SR22/red laser, Ruger Mark1, Ruger SP101 .22

I've never been a big Taurus fan, but have a PT-22 Poly that's functioned 100-percent...excellent and fun little gun. I don't think any manufacturer comes close to the Taurus warranty, although I have no experience with their customer service.

[QUOTE=ripley16;405721]Recently Taurus introduced their new .22lr pistol and it has gotten good reviews by us beta testers. I bought one about a week ago at my LGS for $309. It comes with two 16 round mags a threaded adapter for a silencer, a mag loader and the usual other stuff in a cardboard box. My first Taurus. I've been scared away by internet low rating reports which seem to be hit or miss. I'm happy to say... so far so good.

The pistol is on the larger size, for a .22lr, with a full sized grip, which has an excellent tactile feel to it, a striker, a pretty good from the box trigger and nice usable three dot sights. Take down is easy with a Glock style pull down latch. It has a removable barrel, not fixed, so cleaning is simpler. My gun came sighted in perfectly for the 25 to 30 feet I usually shoot at. The frame has a rail, so I also attached a small green laser. The laser is so much fun on just about any pistol, (I like them)! There are safety and slide release levers.

I took all of the different brands and style of .22lr I had on hand, especially some of the bulk loose packed stuff, to see what functioned. In the past some of the bulk stuff gave me fits in some of my other .22s, but the TX22 handle them all with no problems. I was most surprised by how easy the pistol was to shoot accurately. At that range, 25-30 feet, I usually shoot at 1/2" dots on a pie plate. Right from the box I'm getting nice quarter size groups with the 3 dots.

So far I've found no flaw in the design or quality. Granted it's only been a short while and 10 mags or so, but I'm satisfied it was money well spent. The 16 round capacity is nice too. It's easy to load even without the included loading tool. It cost a bit more than the Ruger SR22 I bought used several years ago but could easily become a favorite plinker. If one is in the market for a nice .22, the Taurus is a worthy contender, especially at the current prices.

Here's a rather poor quality photo.
    [/QUOT

I was at the range this am. Got a chance to handle the New TX. Have to say it really felt nice. Well balanced. Not as big as it appears on print. And not as heavy as it appears. Boy this gun has has some very good reviews. I hope to have one soon.