Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop

Thread: Early K9 Carbon and magazines... Some work, some don't

Default Early K9 Carbon and magazines... Some work, some don't

I have an early K9, carbon steel, probably circa '97. The two magazines that came with it are simply labeled "Kahr". I bought some labeled "Kahr 9-7" which fit, but require, even unloaded, some extra pressure to lock into place. I also bought some "Kahr 9-8" magazines and some spacer base plates. I cannot get those to lock into place.

Any insights would be helpful. Is this due to spring tension? Is there a difference in the design of the magazine that make them either harder or impossible to lock in place?

Sounds like the hole in the magazine that catch's the mag catch is a little off.

You could pull the follower and spring and insert the mag to see what has to happen. Person might be able to remove a bit from the slot and make them work.

I don't know that they are any different from early to late but apparently so.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by SIGWolf View Post
    I bought some labeled "Kahr 9-7" which fit, but require, even unloaded, some extra pressure to lock into place. I also bought some "Kahr 9-8" magazines and some spacer base plates. I cannot get those to lock into place.

Any insights would be helpful.
    I just had that problem with a new CT380 Mag -- turns out the front of the mag's bottom lip (of the base) was upturned a little more than the other, so I peened it down a little with a couple of light taps. And voila -- all set now. The mag body itself was fine, it was just the front of the base.

To be safe/sure, I also used a file and took a small amount off the plastic grip where the front of that lip hit; just to be sure I never have that issue during EDC or when practicing reloads at the range.

It's worth checking out.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

I'm pretty confident it is the base plates. I'm sure if I were to trim the, they would fit now that I really examine them.