CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CW9 - what has been your experience?

Nice to hear!
    How about a pic of your new lover?
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Nice to hear!
    How about a pic of your new lover?
    And one of the gun, too.

I had a CW9, sold it, and keep thinking about getting another one.

As stated in another thread, I've been wanting a Kahr for years. Finally went for a CW9. Upon receipt I field stripped it like I always do with new pistols. It was the dirtiest pistol inside I've ever seen! Pieces and flashings of plastic everywhere.

After around 3 hours of removing all the grit, I took it to the range. It ran perfect through several magazines. Loaded it up with one last magazine and after the last shot, I noticed the front sight was gone! It had blown right off.

Contacted Kahr and they sent a new one right out. The front sight is held on by 2 plastic posts that fit through holes in the slide and the posts are heated and mushroomed on. This time, I epoxied them on along with the heating and mushrooming and no problem through many rounds.

All these aside, I just love this pistol! So light and thin. The double action trigger pull is long but silky smooth. Takes a little getting used to but is easily mastered.

I've since added a stainless guide rod to replace the plastic stock one and is probably not necessary but I just trust the stainless over the plastic.

This thing has never hiccuped even once and feeds and fires everything I run through it. Even with the initial issues, this is a gun I am proud to own and so glad I bought it.

Glad to hear it's working well for you.

That's the second front sight I've read about flying off a Kahr.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Gebe View Post
    As stated in another thread, I've been wanting a Kahr for years. Finally went for a CW9. Upon receipt I field stripped it like I always do with new pistols. It was the dirtiest pistol inside I've ever seen! Pieces and flashings of plastic everywhere.

After around 3 hours of removing all the grit, I took it to the range. It ran perfect through several magazines. Loaded it up with one last magazine and after the last shot, I noticed the front sight was gone! It had blown right off.

Contacted Kahr and they sent a new one right out. The front sight is held on by 2 plastic posts that fit through holes in the slide and the posts are heated and mushroomed on. This time, I epoxied them on along with the heating and mushrooming and no problem through many rounds.

All these aside, I just love this pistol! So light and thin. The double action trigger pull is long but silky smooth. Takes a little getting used to but is easily mastered.

I've since added a stainless guide rod to replace the plastic stock one and is probably not necessary but I just trust the stainless over the plastic.

This thing has never hiccuped even once and feeds and fires everything I run through it. Even with the initial issues, this is a gun I am proud to own and so glad I bought it.
    Just fired my new CW9 yesterday. 200 flawless rounds through 4 different magazines, along with different bullet weights.
    I. Curious. My gun has a steel guide rod, not a plastic one. Not a stainless one, but def not plastic. Did Kahr use plastic on older models, assuming yours is an older gun?

The striker spring guide rod is plastic. No doubt that was what he was talking about, not the recoil guide rod

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    The striker spring guide rod is plastic. No doubt that was what he was talking about, not the recoil guide rod
    Now that makes more sense. Thanks. The plastic striker spring guide rod is kind of cheap, but I suppose it works well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjironhorse View Post
    Just fired my new CW9 yesterday. 200 flawless rounds through 4 different magazines, along with different bullet weights.
    I. Curious. My gun has a steel guide rod, not a plastic one. Not a stainless one, but def not plastic. Did Kahr use plastic on older models, assuming yours is an older gun?
    So sorry for the misinformation. I should have said "steel guide rod" not plastic! Like you Tjironhorse, other than my thorough cleaning of my brand new CW9, (shouldn't happen in a new gun!), and the front sight blowing off, it ran like a champ! Upon field stripping it after many rounds, I noticed the stock steel guide rod had some scars on it. Whether this was a detriment or not and would maybe effect further shooting, I didn't care for it.

I did some research here and found out that Lakeline made a nice hardened stainless steel guide rod. I went for one, installed it and put some more rounds down range and field stripped the gun again, and there were no more scars.

Not saying the original steel guide rod won't be good enough and last a lot of rounds but the LL SS guide rod is so smooth and so hard, I'm glad I bought it!

Absolutely flawless. Very accurate too.

I had two CW9s and both were excellent. Very reliable, accurate, and great to carry. The one I carried the most developed a nasty habit of ejecting the mag while holstered. Instead of trying to fix it I sold it (with full disclosure) to buy a PPS M2 (another great pistol which shares time as an EDC with the other CW9.). Along the way I purchased a CM9 as I always wanted one. It's record is as good as the CW9. For me Kahr makes excellent pistols and I do not ever see me being without the two I have.