Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CW9 - what has been your experience?

Default CW9 - what has been your experience?

Picking up my first Kahr on Thursday. It's a new CW9. After watching way too many YouTube videos and reading way too many reviews, I have some questions (or things I am obsessing about):

1. Are the polymer rails in the middle of the frame really a weak point? I realize they will wear but has anyone had the rails fail and tie up the gun?
    2. I am partial to 147gr ammo and not a proponent of +P. What is the collective experience of what weight bullet is the sweet spot? Is there any ammo the gun just can't run?
    3. Can anyone figure out why Kahr only warranties the Value Series for 5 years while the Premium Series counterpart (P9) is the same gun with different slide milling, different sights, different slide lock/release and different barrel gets the forever warranty? Seriously, the only real heavy stress part seems to be the slide lock/release. Strangely enough I have broken forged parts (from Wilson Combat no less) but all my MIM stuff is still cooking along.
    4. Anybody done a torture test with a polymer Kahr? GLOCK seems to like to do this.

5. Just remembered another question. I have heard stories of "the over-pressure side plates blowing off all over the place!" Mind you nobody has seen this but they know a guy who knows a guy blah blah blah... I believe it can happen - the side plate is a great idea - it is rare. Is this reasonably accurate - that it is rare?

Thanks for your patience with this NOOB!

The Kahr poly pistols NO NOT HAVE POLY SLIDE RAILS, the actual front rails are steel and are molded into the frame in the area where the RSA resides. They look like pieces of sheet metal that are stuck into the polymer and the slide has narrow notches that ride on those front rails.

Hope that I am making sense, me thinks that I am too tired to be posting! Someone will be along to clarify, do not worry Kahr pistols are good to go!
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe

Quote Originally Posted by leftysixty View Post
    The Kahr poly pistols NO NOT HAVE POLY SLIDE RAILS, the actual front rails are steel and are molded into the frame in the area where the RSA resides. They look like pieces of sheet metal that are stuck into the polymer and the slide has narrow notches that ride on those front rails.

Hope that I am making sense, me thinks that I am too tired to be posting! Someone will be along to clarify, do not worry Kahr pistols are good to go!
    That makes sense! I have seen those pieces of sheet metal! Thanks!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wcmaas View Post
    Picking up my first Kahr on Thursday. It's a new CW9. After watching way too many YouTube videos and reading way too many reviews, I have some questions (or things I am obsessing about):

1. Are the polymer rails in the middle of the frame really a weak point? I realize they will wear but has anyone had the rails fail and tie up the gun?
    2. I am partial to 147gr ammo and not a proponent of +P. What is the collective experience of what weight bullet is the sweet spot? Is there any ammo the gun just can't run?
    3. Can anyone figure out why Kahr only warranties the Value Series for 5 years while the Premium Series counterpart (P9) is the same gun with different slide milling, different sights, different slide lock/release and different barrel gets the forever warranty? Seriously, the only real heavy stress part seems to be the slide lock/release. Strangely enough I have broken forged parts (from Wilson Combat no less) but all my MIM stuff is still cooking along.
    4. Anybody done a torture test with a polymer Kahr? GLOCK seems to like to do this.

5. Just remembered another question. I have heard stories of "the over-pressure side plates blowing off all over the place!" Mind you nobody has seen this but they know a guy who knows a guy blah blah blah... I believe it can happen - the side plate is a great idea - it is rare. Is this reasonably accurate - that it is rare?

Thanks for your patience with this NOOB!
    1 - lefty is correct. The slide rides on the metal frame rails in front and two metal tabs at the back
    2 - I've owned a PM9 and a MK9. No issue with any weight ammo. Shoot what works best for you with confidence.
    3 - I don't know this for sure but it makes sense that a longer warranty might be part of what you pay extra for in the premium series.
    4 - That would be Jocko = over 32000 rounds fired in a PM9. He hasn't been around for a while and most of us miss him. Great member. Lousy typist.
    5 - That would be a safety feature in the case of an over pressurized round. A couple of members have had it happen. It's as rare as bad ammo.

Hope that helps noob. Enjoy your new gun.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    1 - lefty is correct. The slide rides on the metal frame rails in front and two metal tabs at the back
    2 - I've owned a PM9 and a MK9. No issue with any weight ammo. Shoot what works best for you with confidence.
    3 - I don't know this for sure but it makes sense that a longer warranty might be part of what you pay extra for in the premium series.
    4 - That would be Jocko = over 32000 rounds fired in a PM9. He hasn't been around for a while and most of us miss him. Great member. Lousy typist.
    5 - That would be a safety feature in the case of an over pressurized round. A couple of members have had it happen. It's as rare as bad ammo.

Hope that helps noob. Enjoy your new gun.
    Outstanding! Exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. Thank you good sir!

Truth is Kahr has polymer AND steel rails like many other polymer pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by kahrbrian View Post
    truth is kahr has polymer and steel rails like many other polymer pistols.
    struth! 😀😎

I had a CW9 (and foolishly traded it), a CM9, and a CT9, and my experience has been over several thousand rounds total that you’ll have NO problem so I wouldn’t worry. The 9mm is the flagship product. Clean and oil it up and shoot whatever you like and enjoy it.

have fun
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    I had a CW9 (and foolishly traded it), a CM9, and a CT9, and my experience has been over several thousand rounds total that you’ll have NO problem so I wouldn’t worry. The 9mm is the flagship product. Clean and oil it up and shoot whatever you like and enjoy it.

have fun
    Thank you for some great advice. I do tend to overthink stuff.

I picked up a used CW9 and love it. I shoot around 4 days a week and put hundreds of rounds through my guns. I have put a lot mixed ammo into my CW9 mag and it ran flawless. When I first purchased the pistol I took it home and really cleaned it. I also frog lubbed it all over and let it sit for a long time. Then cleaned it again. Lubed it up and started shooting it. I've shot steel, aluminum and brass through it and I haven't had a single issue. It is very accurate and in going to end up buying several more Kahr pistols in various calibers because of my first. All guns have issues and all guns are ammo picky. My CZ-P07 will gobble up anything but really becomes impressive with heavier bullets. My CW I'm still working out what loads it loves. Heck most of the fun of getting a new gun is figuring her out. Just like a lover.