CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Member from the Florida Panhandle

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Small world, I was also with VMA-513 for a bit; we had AV8B's (with a few night attack variants) then. The rest of my time at Yuma was with MALS-13.

I spent quite a few years at MCAS Iwakuni: 77-82 with H&MS-12, 83-88 at MCC-3 and there again 93-94.

I hit Cubi Point and Subic Bay a few times when I was a courier for classified material.

I had some buds that were at LTA. I use to live just down the road from it off Red Hill. You threw me a bit with the "Chinooks" (CH47) thing, as I glanced right over the CH46 part. The Phrog and Super Stallion squadrons moved to MCAS Miramar when Tustin closed.

SF,
    Greg
    Yeah, I said Chinooks , cause that's what most folks know them as...lol We called them "weiner mobiles"....lol I was in Yuma 77, 78, Iwakuni, 79, 80 and then Socal 'til 86. We definitely hung out in the same places. I spent alot of time at the Boathouse, in Santa Ana...lol IN Iwakuni, my bunky was rotating back and handed me his job, he had- he taught every day English to Japanese Business folks, at the college, in Peace Park, at Hiroshima. I did that 2 nights a week, the whole time and spent my weekends at folks' homes. i learned to speak and read and write Nihongo...lol Walking across base, to the movie theater, the Soba truck every nite...lol Kintai Castle. I snow skied my 1st time ever( Florida native) at Mt Fuji. I went up into the mnt and met a 10th gen Sword maker. When i was TAD to Subic bay , we actually spent some time picking up the "Boat People", from VN. Almost every boat had human bones in them. The JEST school was in the Upper Mau Camp. I had a Balisong made from a leaf spring from a jeep that we'd left, after WWII. Best time of my life...lol

You guys have your own language. I guess each branch of service does.

Quote Originally Posted by CCHGN View Post
    Yeah, I said Chinooks , cause that's what most folks know them as...lol We called them "weiner mobiles"....lol I was in Yuma 77, 78, Iwakuni, 79, 80 and then Socal 'til 86. We definitely hung out in the same places. I spent alot of time at the Boathouse, in Santa Ana...lol IN Iwakuni, my bunky was rotating back and handed me his job, he had- he taught every day English to Japanese Business folks, at the college, in Peace Park, at Hiroshima. I did that 2 nights a week, the whole time and spent my weekends at folks' homes. i learned to speak and read and write Nihongo...lol Walking across base, to the movie theater, the Soba truck every nite...lol Kintai Castle. I snow skied my 1st time ever( Florida native) at Mt Fuji. I went up into the mnt and met a 10th gen Sword maker. When i was TAD to Subic bay , we actually spent some time picking up the "Boat People", from VN. Almost every boat had human bones in them. The JEST school was in the Upper Mau Camp. I had a Balisong made from a leaf spring from a jeep that we'd left, after WWII. Best time of my life...lol
    Oh yeah we did!

While I was at El Toro the first time, I didn't drink and had a car, so my buds and I would hit the Serviceman Center in Anaheim (with a stop at the Shakey's on Harbor after the center closed) vice doing the night at the Boathouse. Do you remember the gun swap meet some gun store in Santa Ana hosted in it's parking lot? Speaking of VN: in 1975, we were setting up GP tents at the El Toro picnic area for the Vietnamese that were being processed through to Camp Pendleton.

I never did JEST, but I did enjoy the Sky Club at the Lower MAU camp.

My buddy (also named Greg) and I taught English in Onoura, just south of Miyajima. Same deal as you, inherited the class from a friend who was rotating.
    Our students were high school/college level. Greg married one of the girls and they are still doing well together! We both had motorcycles at the time and I think that did the trick.

I have another bud who could do a perfect imitation of the soba truck tune and could get folks piling outside in search of it

Remember these?

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by AIRret View Post
    You guys have your own language. I guess each branch of service does.
    I totally agree MB!
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Oh yeah we did! ... Do you remember the gun swap meet some gun store in Santa Ana hosted in it's parking lot?
    Greg
    Oh yes I do. My Dad gave me a (70 series) Colt Combat Commander when I graduated Boot camp( San Diego, Hollywood, with shades, suntan lotion and sandals...lol)( I had to keep it at the armory, but could check it out any time I wanted) and I took it to that guy and had him lower the ejection port, polish the feed ramp, add a beaver tail, combat safety lever and a trigger job, etc. I'd read that Elmer Keith replaced the front sight with a Gold ball, so I did too...lol It's amazing how easy it is to pick up that front site...lol

In case some folks are wondering, we have a 10 acre homestead, with livestock ( dairy Goats) and chickens and ducks and turkeys and meat rabbits,etc. and are trying to get off the grid. We have 2 wells on the property and about 4 acres of woods, so...I try to do everything by hand ( just in case) so I like to fabricate as much as I can. I grew up in a time/place( Mom's family in Florida and Dad's family in Eastern KY) where folks just made alot of the parts they needed. I'm a Union Glazier( put frames and glass into high rises {or anything else}) and used to fabricate all the frames and break metal,etc. (now, they build the frames and install the glass, to cover several floors, at the factory- called unitized panels and we put them up with cranes), so I'm used to and prefer fabricating what I can, myself. Hope that helps.