CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed at the range with my newP380 and my first Kahr

Angry Disappointed at the range with my newP380 and my first Kahr

Well, I took my new P380 to the range and found that it was shooting consistently to the left in the 7 ring. I look at the rear sight and sure enough it is almost all of the way to the right. That's poor quality control in my opinion for their Premium line and at their price unacceptable. It did run through 200 rounds and 7 brands of ammo without a hiccup though. I called customer service and they said if I send the gun 6 to 8 weeks and just the slide 3 to 4 weeks. I was a little ticked that I had to pay to ship and insure it myself.

IMO, just about any gun shop can center that sight for you, for very little. Should be while you wait. (Me, I'd just do it myself). The tool is a small "C" clamp, that just drifts it over.

If you have a vise you can drift it with a punch and a hammer. I've done that with my CM9.

If the sight is to the right wouldn't that cause you to shoot right?

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    If you have a vise you can drift it with a punch and a hammer. I've done that with my CM9.

If the sight is to the right wouldn't that cause you to shoot right?
    Correct, that would make it shoot more to the right. However, it seems that all the way to the right is not enough to correct the OP's pistol's point of impact.

Drifting the front the front sight to the left might might give enough movement to correct the issue.

Shooter error might also be in play, as shooting left is quite often an issue for right handed shooter's when learning the Kahr trigger.

However, I find it suspect that the rear sight is all the way to the right on a "new" P380. That makes me think that perhaps the pistol is not new from the factory as I've yet to see a new Kahr that did not have the sights centered right out of the box. I'm not saying that means they all shoot to POA out of the box, but it makes me wonder if someone hasn't already found an issue with this pistol and tried to correct it.
    If it did come from the factory in the condition the OP describes, then it is bogus that it made it out the door like that. I'd suggest that the OP give Kahr another call about picking up the shipping. As an alternative, inquire if the FFL it was picked up from will ship it back. The shop I buy from has done that for me, free of charge, with new firearms. Other shops might charge a nominal fee in comparison to what it cost to ship when doing it yourself.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

DavidR
    If you have a vise you can drift it with a punch and a hammer.

I was going to suggest that, but unless one has done it before, things can get real bad, real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    However, I find it suspect that the rear sight is all the way to the right on a "new" P380.
    Greg

I's thinking the same thing. Perhaps after mkt sites and they didn't use the lock tite(or enough) and it just drifted from shooting it. OR, factory sights and someone drifted it and broke it loose from the lock tite and it drifted more from shooting.

My new M&P came with sights that were off. I heard that it was a common occurrence. They are supposed to be factory sighted before leaving the house. Since they are a bear, I just had the sight adjusted with a pusher and bit the bullet.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by CCHGN View Post
    DavidR [/FONT][/COLOR]

I was going to suggest that, but unless one has done it before, things can get real bad, real quick.
    Well, I've done it before. Things got bad real quick too. Oh well, its good to get that first scratch/dent out of the way so you can start enjoying your firearm!
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Thanks for all of the comments. It has tritium night sights so I did not want to bust a vial doing it myself. Rather Kahr do it to be safe. I grew up shooting S&W revolvers and carried one as a LEO so it wasn't the trigger pull. I definitely liked the smooth pull.

Now I am debating on whether I should invest in a MK9