Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007/2008 P380 Stovepiping-- Do I need a new extractor?

Default 2007/2008 P380 Stovepiping-- Do I need a new extractor?

OK, so I bought a used P380, that stovepipes with Winchester flat-nose FMJ, Rem Golden Sabers, Hornady XTP-loaded HPs, and some junk range reloads. It never makes it through a mag without stovepiping. However, it does not stovepipe with Sellier and Bellot RN FMJ-- ran a whole box of that without a problem.

But... I don't want to carry that, and I don't want a gun on the hairy edge of malfunction. So... do I need a new extractor? There are posts on here indicating that Kahr redesigned the extractor at some point. Was that point after 2008? This gun's SN indicates 2007/2007 manufacture.

I've cleaned and polished it all, including the striker and extractor channels. There are no shavings, crud, or even oil in there now, after the brake cleaner through the hole trick (after I'd already run drill bits and Q-tips through the channels). It's clean. Rails lubed, lube diagram followed, etc. I've done all that. AND, I just replaced the recoil springs-- no help, though they are much longer and harder to install than the probably original ones that were in there. I was hoping that would change something, but it did not.

And I'm not limp-wristing it, after 30 years of competitive shooting.

This thing is astoundingly accurate, and I shoot it well-- easily clean bowling pin tables with it-- except for the clearing of the stovepipes, which affects my times significantly! I want it to work. But before I buy another extractor, and put better sights on it, I'd like to know if I'm throwing good money after bad.

Suggestions? (Other than send it back to Kahr.)

Was the extractor design changed after 2008?

Thanks!

Trinan

I can’t find it but there are threads out there which describes a couple of different methods to adjust the extractor tension which may help if you think it’s the extractor. I’m not aware of a extractor change but others may chime in soon with some other info.

I also wonder if it was ever broken in well and maybe it just needs some good hot ammo to loosen up? I know I shoot a lot of S&B 9mm and it’s hotter than some ammo. Not to sure about their .380 ammo though.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Thanks... From the shortness of the springs in there, and the dirt, I think the former owner did shoot it enough to break it in-- and I've put 100+ through it myself in two outings.

I'll look for the extractor tuning info. Keep the suggestions coming.

Quote Originally Posted by trinan View Post
    Thanks... From the shortness of the springs in there, and the dirt, I think the former owner did shoot it enough to break it in-- and I've put 100+ through it myself in two outings.

I'll look for the extractor tuning info. Keep the suggestions coming.
    I would second the opinion that the original owner did not break in the gun. One thing I have learned about many used guns, is the fact that there are IMO a huge percentage that do not shoot there guns very often. My CW380 did the same thing, and them Perfecto. And what a nice shooter it is.

Original owner put about 100 through it; I just hit 190 more. Still jamming about once per magazine, and the behavior has changed. Now the cases are flipping around 180 degrees and getting stuck in the extractor when the slide is closing. That's new... and harder to fix than a stovepipe. Much, much harder to fix, as I usually have to pull the magazine and lock the slide back to rip the case out of the extractor where the mouth is jammed and deformed into it.

I hate to dump it on someone, but I think that's its future.

Might be worth trying a new extractor. I think it’s about $20 of parts to replace the old one.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Best I can remember, the extractor was modified during 2017. I believe a radius was placed on the lower edge.
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...142#post388142

IN post #16 I mention how Kahr confirmed to me a change had been made.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    Best I can remember, the extractor was modified during 2017. I believe a radius was placed on the lower edge.
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...142#post388142

IN post #16 I mention how Kahr confirmed to me a change had been made.
    Thanks-- I saw your post, but it wasn't clear to me when they might have made that change. I looked at mine-- and it looks like the bottom is beveled. I think that was a feeding fix though right? Mine feeds fine. It just doesn't eject consistently. I'll fool with it some more in the new year I guess. I'd done so well with three 9mm Kahrs I thought the stories about the .380s might be aberrations, but seemingly not.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was for feeding issues. If it were me, I'd go ahead and get a new extractor
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

New extractor did not help. Now it's FTE'ing with the same types of ammo-- still 100% with the expensive Underwood +P 102 GSs, and still ejecting S&B FMJ just fine-- but I'm getting light strikes about every 1/3 of them! May just be a bad batch of S&B ammo. Sheesh.