Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop

Thread: Kahr P9 - 2nd Attempt & Results

Default Kahr P9 - 2nd Attempt & Results

My first compact CCW was a Kahr P9. I liked the look, fit, and feel of it. I purchased my it approximately four years ago.

In spite of my liking for the pistol, it never performed well, even with a factory trip or two. It shot well but FTF's and FTE's were more common than not and my confidence in the P9 waned to the point where I sold it and went with a SIG P938, which is an outstanding pistol. However, I still missed my Kahr P9 which for me is easier to conceal IWB than a 938 due to the way it is sized.

I read where there was a GEN 2 version available and called the factory. Oddly, the individual I talked with said there was no Kahr P9 GEN 2. However, reading the posts and releases from gun shows I disregarded that conversation with the hope that a more recent Kahr P9 would yield better results. I purchased Kahr P9 and received it a few weeks ago.

I have taken it to the range three times, and put it through it's paces, with different types of ammunition. I have 500 rounds through it, definitely broken in, and am very pleased with the results and the performance of my "new" Kahr P9. Not one issue at all, not one FTF or FTE and it worked well with about five different brands / types of 9mm ammunition. Accuracy up to 25 yards was impressive. I am happy to once again have a Kahr P9 as my primary CCW.

The "newer" Kahr P9 pistols are a definite improvement over the earlier models, at least that is my observation. It is a more "solid" pistol, so to speak, and overall just seems to be better made.

Anyhow, these are my observations and results. My reason for this post is that for anyone out there who may have had a similar occurrence, give it another shot, no pun intended.

Cheers,

Fred

I don't know about that. I have a very early P9----bought in 2001. It has never had a problem. Ever. There have surely been incremental design and manufacturing improvements, but I think the P9 is pretty much the same as it's always been. You likely just got a lemon. It happens.

As for the "Gen 2" Kahrs---I had the opportunity to speak with a Kahr rep at a recent event. I asked about why the Gen 2 had yet to be released. He told me Kahr had problems making the Gen 2 trigger(which was going to be the main selling point) drop safe. So they have scrapped the idea. They're selling so many Value Line pistols that the expensive Gen 2s would likely not be the best place to shift production.

The frames on the S pistols are a result of the Gen 2 R&D, however.

It's a shame. I was really looking forward to buying a Gen 2 TP9...

Glad the second P9 worked out for you. The P9 does seem to be the "perfect" size for a carry pistol. However I have to say that IMHO the early P9 was just as reliable as todays. Happy shooting.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I have a PM9 for a pocket / ankle gun.

Flawless, no issues.

Just purchased a P9 and am ready to go to the range and get it broken in.

Glad to hear all is well.

Just circling back. The P9 has over 1,000 rounds through it. Not one problem. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by FredS1974 View Post
    Just circling back. The P9 has over 1,000 rounds through it. Not one problem. Love it.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.