Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any 50 AE reloaders on the forum?

Default Any 50 AE reloaders on the forum?

For powder I've got Hodgdon H-110 and IMR 4227, bullets are Speer 300 and 325 gr. I'd be interested in hearing about experiences with any of these products, or any 50 AE reloads really. I'm hoping to get out to the range with my chronograph in the next couple weeks. I'll report back with my results in anyone is interested.

Hey Steamdonkey, I'm right behind you, having recently purchased the same powders, but Hornady and Berry bullets, and CCI mag pistol primers.

I'm very new to the DE, and although I knew going in that it would operate and feel different from my other handguns, I was still surprised (and intrigued) by the degree. So, my intent is to get comfortable with the firearm and figure out my preferences in factory ammo first, then try to duplicate performance with hand loads, and go on from there. But if I can help with anything like second opinions, performance duplication, and general "what the heck?" concerns, I'd be glad to.

And yes, I am very interested in your results. Good luck and best wishes!

Have not loaded for the 50, but have loaded for the 44.

I have had good luck with both N-110 and H-110 powders. I get roughly the same velocity with each, but the H-110 is much more loud and flashy. I use Zero 44 JSP bullets, but unfortunately they don't make a 50 bullet. I have a friend that has used the Berrys bullets for his 500 S&W, but I don't think he pushes them very hard. You don't have as much leeway with an auto-loader, though, as they have to be hot enough to cycle the action.

Hey guys,

I made it out to the range but had a little trouble getting consistent readings from my 'ProChrono Digital' chronograph. After reading through the instructions again I'm thinking it was probably user error. Long story short I didn't see much difference between the min and max recommended loads with the H-110. The IMR-4227 on the other hand would not even cycle the gun properly with the min charge and didn't quite match the velocity of the H-110 with max charge. I don't have my notes in front of me but I think the highest velocity recorded was around 1375 fps, which is quite a bit lower than the advertised numbers from Hornady and Underwood. My DE50 has the integral muzzle brake which effectively makes it a 5" barrel so that may explain some of the difference. Foolishly I didn't bring any factory ammo with me to the range so I didn't get velocities to compare against the reloads.

Possibly the most important thing I learned from this latest batch of reloads is that the Underwood brass has a thicker wall than the Hornady brass and is able to get a better grip on the bullet. I had a few reloads with the Hornady brass that were so loose that the bullet could be rotated with your fingers. Adding a bit more crimp helped a little in some cases but it was very easy to overdo it and make it worse. I measured the bullets with a micrometer and all were .500 inches. Maybe my Lee (non-carbide) resizing die is slightly out of spec or my technique needs improvement but I definitely had better luck with the Underwood brass.

I went to the range again to try the chrono on a cloudy day and I'm more confused than ever. The Hornady XTP 300 gr. was very consistent but averaged 200 fps lower than the advertised velocity. The Underwood 300 gr. was also 200 fps below the number on the box but was much less consistent with a difference of 115 fps between high and low and a standard deviation of 43.

My 300 gr. reloads averaged close to the Hornady XTP but had inconsistency similar to the Underwood. The real surprise was the 325 gr. reloads, which were about 50 fps FASTER than the 300 gr. reloads with the exact same powder charge. Huh???

Quote Originally Posted by Steamdonkey View Post
    The real surprise was the 325 gr. reloads, which were about 50 fps FASTER than the 300 gr. reloads with the exact same powder charge. Huh???
    Maybe the 325 is a longer bullet meaning less room in the case for powder and higher pressures if you loaded the 325 and 300 to the same OAL???

I just ordered my first DE, a .50ae L5 yesterday. I am researching different loads (different bullets mainly). I think I setteled on the Berry's 325's. I was worried about plated bullets but it seems many are using them without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by oughtsix View Post
    Maybe the 325 is a longer bullet meaning less room in the case for powder and higher pressures if you loaded the 325 and 300 to the same OAL???
    Short answer:
    Yes, same OAL for both.

Longer Answer:
    My Lyman reloading manual shows loads for Hornady XTP HP 300 gr. at 1.580" OAL and Speer HP 325 gr. at 1.575". Not sure why the 325 is shown with a shorter OAL. I was using Speer HP for both 300 and 325 loads and the 325 is a bit longer so I figured I'd play it safe and load them both to a long-ish 1.585" OAL which is still well below the max. OAL of 1.595" if I recall correctly.

For the next batch I'll try reloading the 300 gr. bullets with slightly shorter OALs and see if velocity changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamdonkey View Post
    Short answer:
    Yes, same OAL for both.

Longer Answer:
    My Lyman reloading manual shows loads for Hornady XTP HP 300 gr. at 1.580" OAL and Speer HP 325 gr. at 1.575". Not sure why the 325 is shown with a shorter OAL. I was using Speer HP for both 300 and 325 loads and the 325 is a bit longer so I figured I'd play it safe and load them both to a long-ish 1.585" OAL which is still well below the max. OAL of 1.595" if I recall correctly.

For the next batch I'll try reloading the 300 gr. bullets with slightly shorter OALs and see if velocity changes.
    I would be interested in your results?????

I tried my first 50ae reloads in my new Desert Eagle L5 (Light weight 5" barrel). I took 18 handloaded rounds to the range with me. 300gr Berry's in Hornady brass with CCI 350 magnum pistol primers:
    6 rnds @ 30.5 grains H110
    6 rnds @ 31.5 grains H110
    6 rnds @ 32.5 grains H110

With some of the 30.5 and 31.5 loads I felt little pin pricks on my face which I believe were un-burnt powder (Yes, I was wearing safety glasses). The 32.5 loads I did not notice this.

I am guessing that the lighter charges did not develop enough pressure to completely combust the powder and the breeze blew it back into my face. Does this sound reasonable?

The 32.5 grain loads are near the max load and I believe I did not get powder blown back in my face because of better combustion. Does this sound reasonable?

The 32.5 grain loads felt very near Hornady 300gr XTP factory loads as far as recoil (The 7th round in each mag was a Hornady 300gr factory load... so I could compare the recoil). The lighter loads, especially the 30.5gr loads were real nice light recoiling target loads. ALL loads cycled the action just fine and left a nice puddle of brass ~6' to ~8' behind me over my right shoulder.

I think H110 is one of the slower pistol powders. Should I try a faster powder for target loads?

I'm not sure why the lighter charges are throwing material back at you, but lower pressure / unburnt powder sounds possible. It might be little flecks of copper plating that didn't stay attached to the bullet. H110 is on the slow side but according to my Lyman reloading handbook, "Slow-burning powders are required to generate enough gas volume to properly cycle the gas-operated action." Maybe the L5 can operate satisfactorily with a faster burning power but I'd want some way to verify peak pressures are within limits before trying it.

I've not yet been back to the range to see if the 300 gr. bullets with a slightly shorter OAL are more consistent but will report my results when I get around to it.