Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When did you first get interested in firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    I got a Daisy BB gun Christmas of my 9th year. Been shooting every since. My grandpa had a single shot, bolt action Remington 22 from the 1930's, had to manual cock the bolt. When me and my next door cousin (next door meant 3/8 mile) turned 10 or 11, don't quite remember, he used to take us down by the cow pond and let us shoot at turtles with the .22, man what a blast. Once you shot, they would all dive in the water and you would have to wait a few minutes for them to re-surface. A single shot was all we needed.

I do not know what became of that Remington, but I wish I had it in my collection.

-Ken
    I mentioned earlier that I bought a SS Remington 22 when I was eleven. I think it was a model 30, but I'm not entirely sure. I still have it up in the attic, so I suppose I could climb up there and take a look. The last time I saw it, I was amazed at the condition. I had put a oiled piece of paper towel in each end of the barrel when I left home at sixteen to go to college, so the bore was clean and unmarked. Since I carried it around with me nearly every day, I was surprised that there were practically no scratches or rust on the stock or blueing.

Definitely climb up there O'Dell. Sounds picture worthy to me.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well, just for you Bawanna, here are pictures of my Remington, circa 1950's, Model 514 single shot 22 rifle. It shoots short, long, and long rifle rounds. It's in amazing shape considering it was carried all over the place by a 11 - 16 year old boy, and then stored in a closet or attic for almost 60 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's absolutely gorgeous and in incredibly good shape. That's the type of thing that blows my dress up round my ears. Much more exciting than most of this new fangled stuff we get excited about these days.

I've been prowling the auctions for old Mossbergs lately but slipped in a Remington and a Winchester now and again too.

No shortage of 22's at my house, at least until that damn sink hole came along, sad day for sure.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Hey Bawanna, I'd like to SEE…..That's the type of thing that blows my dress up round my ears.

And whats the deal with the dress??????

I didn't mean to hold back from you but I've crossed over.

O'Dell those 514's are bring 200 and better on some of the auctions. I noticed one still cheap like 80 bucks but they had put a Ruger 10/22 barrel on it?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I'm crushed!!

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by AIRret View Post

I'm crushed!!
    I'm not, 1-800-flowers for my new sweetheart!
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Y'all got me to wondering, I did a quick search and I believe Grandpa had a Remington Model 33, there are a couple on gun broker for under $200, but kinda rough shape.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post

O'Dell those 514's are bring 200 and better on some of the auctions. I noticed one still cheap like 80 bucks but they had put a Ruger 10/22 barrel on it?
    I paid $11.95 for it new over 60 years ago. Anyway, since it was my first gun, not counting BB guns, I wouldn't sell it. If I polish off a little surface rust off the bolt, it will be almost like new.