Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When did you first get interested in firearms?

Cool The Rifleman

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

100_4424.jpg
    My most valuable firearm. My dads 1938 Red Ryder BB Gun. Wish he was still around so I could ask him about those notches in the stock.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Guns were always a part of our family growing up. Dad was a sniper in WWII - he never talked much until his last years about his experiences, but he was a terrific shot. Seemed like he never missed.

Christmas of 1966, there was a Daisy Red Ryder under the tree for me. I was 6 years old. Dad taught me how to shoot - I can still hear his voice today when I shoot.

When I turned 12, Dad signed me up for a hunter safety course. Several of his buddies had sons of the same age, and the idea was we'd all take the course together, and go hunting together. Deer camp was a right of passage here in PA and 12 was the minimum age to get a hunting license.

My first rifle was a Marlin 336C 30-30 lever action, with a Weaver 4X scope. My first shotgun was an H&R Topper single shot 12 ga.

My first pistol was an H&R 32 snubby revolver. Hated that thing, and as soon as I saved up enough, I traded it in on a stainless Colt Python with a 6" barrel.

Sadly, I don't own any of these guns any more.

A LONG time ago... 1949?? 3 or 4 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    For me it was about this time period - 1947 - in front of our Infantry Post quarters at Fort Sam Houston (San Antonio) Texas. Am the unruly one on the left with the poor trigger & safety discipline. Evidently I hadn't mastered the art of the lariat yet either.

How about you folks?

Pretty much sums it up fer me as well....
    NRA Benefactor

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    For me it was about this time period - 1947 - in front of our Infantry Post quarters at Fort Sam Houston (San Antonio) Texas. Am the unruly one on the left with the poor trigger & safety discipline. Evidently I hadn't mastered the art of the lariat yet either.

How about you folks?

Those with you your brothers? They must be left handed, guns on the wrong side.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

The first time I shot a gun I was 9. Took hunter safety at 10. All downhill since then. .22 LR, .30-06, .58, .45, you name it. Hunted with a 16 gauge for a number of years until I graduated to a 12 gauge. I've been hooked for over 55 years.

I got sent home from kindergarten for wearing my proudest possession: A pair of Roy Rogers 6-shooters on a gun belt. After that it was a BB pistol, Benjamin pellet rifle (which I still shoot), 20ga bolt action I bought with my own money at about age 11 (which I still shoot), Remington .22 rifle at about age 20. I didn't get my first handgun (a Taurus .357 revolver)until I was about 50. That started a whole new phase in my life!

I got a Daisy BB gun Christmas of my 9th year. Been shooting every since. My grandpa had a single shot, bolt action Remington 22 from the 1930's, had to manual cock the bolt. When me and my next door cousin (next door meant 3/8 mile) turned 10 or 11, don't quite remember, he used to take us down by the cow pond and let us shoot at turtles with the .22, man what a blast. Once you shot, they would all dive in the water and you would have to wait a few minutes for them to re-surface. A single shot was all we needed.

I do not know what became of that Remington, but I wish I had it in my collection.

-Ken
    NRA Benefactor

You remember what model. I've been on the 22 curio and relic 22 bolt rifle hunt for awhile now. Always checking the auctions.
    Mostly been getting old Mossbergs but a few others.

Figure out what you think you had and we'll try to find you one. Won't be the same of course as Grandpa's but close as you can get.

They are great for young kids and old kids like me too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."