CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New P45

Default New P45

I picked up a new P45 a couple weeks ago. New with 4 mags and night sights $550.00 out the door.
    Did the suggested break in then ran 130 rounds no problem.
    My 4th kahr 3 previous 9mm.
    I have 2 currently a K9 and the P45.
    Bought the wrong kimber 7 round mag it runs but the follower is hitting the feed ramp, ordered a different kimber 7 round mag 1100813A reported to work correctly time will tell.
    Never had a failure with any of my kahrs, I want the p380 but so many bad reports I may never pony up the cash
    I wanted to put out a positive post.
    Thanks
    Mike

Great! Glad you like the Kahrs. I've had a bunch and have settled on 4: P380(my oldest now, from April 2010), P9 DLC, P40 DLC, and P45 DLC. All have factory night sights and the P9's front has been replaced by me due to its age and dimming.

My P45 is the most recent and it has the softest, smoothest trigger. My only problem with it is trying to stage the trigger as I get back on target after a shot. Once in a while I fire before centering the sights or lining up on the center. It's still on the paper, but I have to watch that in shooting rapidly.

I carry my P380 all of the time around the house, either IWB at 4:30 or so in a soft IWB Uncle Mike's holster. If I need max concealment or the ability to put in in my pocket to disrobe at a doctor's office. I can just put the holster and pistol in my pocket. I use Underwood's +P 90-gr Gold Dots for defensive ... a very stout load... like the difference between .38 S&W and .357 Magnum.

I usually carry my P40 with the ported barrel as my EDC, but I recently carried the P45 as well. It's only a tiny bit larger than the P40, but I seemed to notice it more and went back to my P40 for now. Whatever I'm carrying, I carry a spare mag opposite side in a mag holder... high capacity ones with 1 more round, 2 more for the .45.

The P9 has become strictly a backup for carry, but all three larger P's fit in the Crossbreed Minituck that I bought for my first Polymer the PM9. Belt tightness and the hybrid with leather between me and the pistol work well.

All but my P9 that I bought used, have been back to Kahr on their dime and I'm happy with them. Sometimes the pistols need some adjustment or fine tuning, but they're excellent pistols. We do seem to hear more from those who have problems and not all are the pistols' fault.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I bought my CW9 new, (sold)
    Bought my K9 used like new.
    Bought my PM9 used. (Wish I didn't sell did the rampectomy myself)
    Bought P45 new.
    None went back to kahr.
    Did the ported barrels drop in and work?
    Not much I can't fix with hand tools, except computers and such.
    In the P45 I staggered 3 different brands of ammo in one mag and no problems, which is a confidence builder.
    Sometimes I also pop off the next round before planned, I guess I put around 3 to 4 thousand rounds through kahr handguns and like the trigger.
    My K9 has a short reset no matter what anyone says no other kahrs I tried compare. I measured also.
    Regards
    Mike

Yes the barrels work fine... just wanted the extra length and maybe a little help with muzzle rise on the .40. If they made one for the P45, I would get one so they would all be alike. I had an SS K9 from March 1998 and finally sold it as I carried nothing but polymers. The P9 is 8 ounces lighter than the K9 and the P40 only a bit more.

Below, the 4" ported barrel for the P9 or CW9, K9(I think), P9, and PM9. The ported barrel seemed to fit in the K9, but I wouldn't fire test it. I only have the P9 now.

I did have a Mag-na-ported SS P40(bought used), but I got a chance to get a new black one and sold the SS one. I only have the minimum 4 Kahrs now, and the P9 really is just a backup.

USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I received the kim pro tac mag.
    Although the slide will move back and forth the extractor hits
    The top of the mag in front of the feed lips which don't seem OK, I removed around 1/32 " or less and now the slide clears and no longer moves the extractor.
    I will post results when I try it out.
    Thanks for the barrel information.
    Mike

Hardknocks1, what holster do you use for your P45?

I have a crossbreed IWB supertuck marked P9 the P45 and K9 both fit in there fine.
    Also have another hybrid that fits both.

Sounds like a good deal. I finally got my all black/night sights P45 a couple of days ago. Haven't shot it yet, but I cleaned and lubed it well. Of course, the first disassembly was a little difficult pulling the slide stop out and the recoil spring too. Loading the magazines was hard with springs being brand new. I know the pistol springs will loosen up with break in. My PM9 was stiff at first too, but smoothed out quickly. I settled for a Theis single clip hybrid holster, which I ordered today. Can't wait to try that out, appendix carry .

I like theis holster perfect cant.
    I left my slide back a few days and ally mags loaded which helped alot, and then racked the slide hundreds of times then cleaned up the rails. I need to lose 10 or 15 for appendix carry but it's a very quick presentation from that location.

So why Kimber mags, lower cost?