Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first Kahr- S9 or CW9?

Default My first Kahr- S9 or CW9?

I've decided to get my first Kahr as an EDC pocket/IWB carry. I can get a CW9 for about $310 and S9 for 385. I don't think I would use the picatinny rails on the S9. Is there a reason to prefer one?

I have read on the net about magazines popping out while shooting sometimes. Has this been resolved? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by ThePrince; 05-21-2018 at 02:05 PM.

CW9 and spend the $75 difference on holster and ammo... This style/size of gun is not a good host for a rail-light in my opinion and the front serrations are also not necessary on this type of weapon IMO.

Also, that frame rail will probably make holster selection difficult... there should be lots of CW9/P9 available, as well as other accessories.

If you are buying locally... I would inspect a few copies and check for any machining issues, mag issues, and test for the smoothest trigger if possible.

I have owned a CW9 for many years and it has always been trouble free for me... but now that the Glock 43 is out, I would probably go for that if I were shopping today. Mainly, the Kahr magazines leave a lot to be desired, the slide-stop and its spring can cause troubles, and Kahrs quality control can be inconsistent.

I believe the S9 comes with 2 mags and the CW9 only 1. That narrows the price difference.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

That's true... if the buyer is definitely intending to buy a second magazine... which is likely.

Still... holster availability would probably be a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    That's true... if the buyer is definitely intending to buy a second magazine... which is likely.

Still... holster availability would probably be a deal breaker for me.
    Agree. I’m thinking most leather holsters for the CW9 would probably work but maybe not Kydex.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

At my local gun shop the Glock is $ 150 more, the magazine only holds six and I like American made. Pretty sure I'm going with the CW9. Now for a holster...there must be a thread for that here somewhere. Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure how you plan to carry, but keep in mind that the 7 round grip and the magazine baseplate will stick out and can cause carry issues for certain carry styles and body types. I always wished that Kahr would make a CW9 with a "6-round" grip and magazine... I believe something like that was made a long time ago call the "Covert"? I even considered having my CW9 grip shortened to accept 6-round mags... Then Kahr came out with the CM9, which I might have purchased over the CW9 if it existed at the time.

For my CW9, I purchased a Comp Tac IWB leather/kydex holster years ago... it is absolute quality and worked well... at the time, they also offered lots of different colored clips with various belt loop styles that offered maximum conceal-ability... that being said, IWB carry never really worked well for me and eventually I purchased a CW380 when it came out and carry it 90% of the time... if I bring a bigger gun, it is usually my Glock 19 Gen2.

If you want a very practical AND inexpensive holster for ANY type of smaller pistol, take a look at the lineup from "Sticky" Holsters. They will stay inside a waistband with no snaps, and they ride great in a pocket. Plus, they have a closed muzzle, which is a big selling point for me, as I hate an open muzzle that lets lint and crap into the barrel of the gun. You can get them cheaper on ebay than from the web site. There are many vendors there that sell them.

CM 9 is the best out there for pocket carry. CW9 is too big.
    I have pocket carried a CM9 for years every day. Leather, DeSantis MK, and Kydex holsters. All are good.
    The .380 is too small, and my CW9 is belt carried.
    When I will spend a lot of time sitting,l I carry my CM9 in an Telor ankle holster. I can wear it all day, walk a mile or more, and am quite comfortable.

Those Sticky holsters and similar (Desantis Nemesis) are fine for pocket carry or for stowing in a bag... but seem like a very bad idea for waistband carry. What happens when you need to loosen your belt to go to the bathroom or whatever... or if your car seat or something else pulls it out of your waistband... or if you just bend over or stretch in a weird manner and your gun falls out. Could lead to a very embarrassing or even dangerous situation. If you're going to exercise your right/privilege to be armed, do it responsibly.

Pocket Carry - At a minimum have the trigger covered

IWB - Have secure belt clips and a secure holster

OWB - Have a thumb-break strap OR at least a "closed muzzle"... otherwise, a chair or something else could push the gun out of your holster when you sit

Just my two cents.