Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How old is too old to carry?

Default How old is too old to carry?

I’ve spent most of my life in a northern state that is not gun friendly. I’ve owned pistols for 20 years just couldn’t legally carry them. Now I live in Florida and had to get my carry permit. I’m 57 and love the idea of carry but in a mostly retirement area there isn’t much crime. I would probably have to shoot wildlife way before the need to shoot a BG.
    I think without serious training carrying is more a problem than a solution at my age. My son is a peace officer and I see the stress training he goes through and have to wonder what would I do in a stressful situation.
    Let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Welcome to the forum. Just curious what led you to us here? Anyway at 55 I figure I’m too old to fight fair so I carry all the time.

For convenience you can carry a small pocket 380 or 9mm. Even in Florida you can do that in shorts. Easy to do and you can get it from the pocket easy as long as your not sitting while driving.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I'm 63, pretty crippled up, can't run, can't fight. I go to the park and to Walmart, I wonder too why I need to carry. I'm not fast enough in wit to save myself anyway, by the time I know I'm in trouble, it will be over. What I think about are other things. The old saying, better to have it and not need it, than .....etc.

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    First Welcome to the forum. Just curious what led you to us here? Anyway at 55 I figure I’m too old to fight fair so I carry all the time.

For convenience you can carry a small pocket 380 or 9mm. Even in Florida you can do that in shorts. Easy to do and you can get it from the pocket easy as long as your not sitting while driving.
    I’m here because I bought a CM9 to pocket carry. I haven’t shot it yet but bought a small (of course it’s a CM9) holster for it to fit in my pocket. My other quandary is that my wife does not like guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 70 years young, beat up and crippled, I still have fight in me and that's why I still carry a handgun!
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe

Gents, as we get younger we all still have that American boy in us that just loves to play with a gun--the controlling of the mechanical mechanism is too fascinating. And we , our dads, uncles, grandfathers introduced us. Handling and carrying a gun is practical, tactile, responsible, weighty, noble--a locus that helps focus the mind on the present, prescient, and positive reality. The NOW. Go on, fellas! Be 70, be 80...carry a gun you've known for decades or try a new one to train new habits. Current, like a new language. What is better than this? And in the end--you pull the trigger and it goes BANG!!!

Well, there you have it. I believe we have answered the original question. There does not seem to be a “too old”.

There does come a time when we may be allowed to live long enough that it is no longer that important. Before I get my wrist slapped, let me provide an example.

When I was 8, my grandfather took me aside, and showed me his Smith & Wesson .38 Special Combat Masterpiece, and his shotgun. Both of which he carried as a police officer. He asked me which one I wanted, and explained that I was the oldest grandson, and that my cousin (6 days younger than me) would get the gun I didn’t choose, and that I would get my choice when he no longer had a need for the gun. It may be obvious that I chose the pistol.

Fast-forward 37 years, and my grandfather moved to an assisted-living facility. He decided he no longer had a need for the pistol, and gave the gun to me. A little while later, I visited him and we ate lunch together, getting ready to go to the range for my first chance to fire the gun I had waited 37 years to fire. He, with his walker with tennis balls on the feet, and me carrying the range bag. Both grinning ear to ear.

We donned eyes & ears, entered the range, and the smiling stopped. He stood behind me as I made a quarter-sized hole at 7 yards. After 20 rounds, I asked if he wanted to shoot. He said, “I’ve shot that thing enough in my life. I don’t need any more practice.” I reeled the target back to us, and said, “Not bad, huh? That thing is accurate!”. He said, “It is VERY accurate. You also didn’t make it very hard on yourself, either.” In one sentence, his eyes let me know how much he enjoyed seeing me shoot the gun, and his words and tone let me know that he knew I had been “sandbagging”, and that he expected me to expect more out of the gun. Two sentences prior, he let me know that his days of shooting were over. I sent the target back out to 15 yards and made the quarter-sized hole the size of a half-dollar. I got a little smile out of him, and he said, “Why don’t you let the gun cool down a bit?”

So, it seems that you might never be too old. However, when you are done, you are done.

We went ahead and quit for the day. I still have the “other” ten rounds in the safe.

-Wlf

I would add that there's no such thing as a "safe neighborhood." It only takes one violent crime to make you wish you'd been carrying. That's not to say everyone should carry a G17 with three spare mags 24/7, just that in this period of history we can't assume we're totally safe anywhere.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quit carrying the day you go outside and your friends tell you that you forgot to put on your pants...that will be your hint.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

As a women a gun levels the playing field.
    Now, as a 63 year old women who's had two back surgeries it's even more important to "close" the gap and level the field….and give me a chance to NOT be a victim!!
    I am also committed to train!! If your NOT willing to train is when you need to question why you carry!