Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How old is too old to carry?

I am 68 years old and carry a Kahr CM9 in a IWB holster every minute I am awake. My wife could not understand why I carried in the house till the the night an escaped criminal was caught in the neighborhood. I believe if I still have the mental and physical ability to carry, I will. Range time practice is important the older we get.
    Last edited by Mike_usn_ret; 05-23-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyp8 View Post
    I’m here because I bought a CM9 to pocket carry. I haven’t shot it yet but bought a small (of course it’s a CM9) holster for it to fit in my pocket. My other quandary is that my wife does not like guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You picked a good pistol for pocket carry. I have one that I bought when the CM9 first came out.

As for the wife, my wife thinks I have too many pistols (I just like cool pistols) so I tell her I think she has too many pairs of shoes, purses, and a scarf collection that would rival Macy’s retail stock. Saying that usually gets me an eye roll and then we move on to another topic.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I'll carry as long as I can proficiently operate the weapon.
    Pretending you know when, where and how you will be attacked is a prescription for disaster.
    Fortune favors the prepared

I have a feeling that when the time comes, if it comes, you'll know how to use it. I will carry until I can't. I can't run anymore so it's the equalizer. If you are to continue carrying, you must practice. Retirement places in FL. are perfect soft targets. Yesterday they shut down the high schools in my area because of an active armed robbery. A month ago, some poor soul a few blocks away from me was shot 4 times from outside through his kitchen window. You cannot possibly be ready for everything that may come your way, but being aware and prepared at least gives you a fighting chance. If your not truly committed to carry, then maybe you shouldn't. You have to have the correct mind set to carry. I tell my wife all the time, if your not ready to kill someone to save yourself, then you probably should carry a hammer. She's still carrying...………………………………………..

IF you can still think clearly enough to fight back...you're still young enough to carry. The question will more likely be WHAT you should carry and HOW than whether or not you should. I'm 69 and arthritis and numerous surgeries and now having to use a cane...I'm re-evaluating my primary handguns of choice - which are almost all in 40 S&W. The size and recoil are beginning to be uncomfortable. IF it gets to the point where I can't effectively apply them I'll reduce the size/caliber but I can't in good conscience give up my ability to defend myself and loved ones.
    As to the subject of "safe neighborhood" today's criminal element thrives on soft targets and gun-free and/or geriatric gathering places seem to be a growing target.

I pocket carry a CM40. In the winter when I can wear more than a t-shirt, I'll wear an IWB holster. But mostly, all I have on is a t-shirt and shorts. I don't "conceal" with a t-shirt, I just cover with a t-shirt. I don't want anyone knowing, or suspecting I have a gun. That would be a good reason to rob me, to get my gun.

I'm 57 and I carry my CW40 every day. Well, almost every day--the weeks that I fly for business (I'm in sales, cover 5 western states) I don't carry because I haven't had the guts to check my gun yet. I've never been in the situation that I've needed to use my gun, but then I've never been in a situation where I've needed the fire insurance I carry on my house either. My wife, also, doesn't like guns. She tolerates them. She has asked me why I feel the need to carry when I'm at home, and I've told her that statistics show that 100% of home invasions happen at home. I get the eye roll.

If you are too old to learn you are too old to start carrying. I'm 70 and carry. I shoot at least 50 rounds out of each of my carry guns every month, often more than that. I also do a little bit of dry fire. Practice and learn. When you are too weak, too unsteady, have too poor vision or other problems then you are too old.

I plan on having my PM9 with me in my pocket at my funeral because I might need it on the other side when I run into my Mother in Law....For now I figure I'm too old and crippled to fight and too fat to run so having a hand gun on me at all times gives me much comfort....

Quote Originally Posted by JimboTN View Post
    IF you can still think clearly enough to fight back...you're still young enough to carry. The question will more likely be WHAT you should carry and HOW than whether or not you should. I'm 69 and arthritis and numerous surgeries and now having to use a cane...I'm re-evaluating my primary handguns of choice - which are almost all in 40 S&W. The size and recoil are beginning to be uncomfortable. IF it gets to the point where I can't effectively apply them I'll reduce the size/caliber but I can't in good conscience give up my ability to defend myself and loved ones.
    As to the subject of "safe neighborhood" today's criminal element thrives on soft targets and gun-free and/or geriatric gathering places seem to be a growing target.
    I prefer .40 cal. myself. If you ever have to use it to defend yourself, you won't notice the recoil. It's not uncomfortable for me to practice yet. I'll just cut down a bit on practice if that happens. Don't worry, I read it on here...………….."Start at the beltline, the firearm will rise from there."