Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights

Thread: Ever Wonder What Would Happen If You Sprayed Brake Cleaner In Your Eyes?

Default Ever Wonder What Would Happen If You Sprayed Brake Cleaner In Your Eyes?

Well, here's a first hand report on that.

Was working one of my Ruger S/A revolvers. Needed to clean out a gunked up cylinder stop plunger hole. Brake cleaner through the point application "straw" seemed like a good idea. But...high pressure spray into a small, confined space...immediate full blast blowback directly into my eyes. First thoughts were the obvious. Fortunately, non-chlorinated and there was water source just a few steps away. And then, oddly to my mind, no ill effects.

So, while I don't necessarily recommend this, if you want a mind blowing adventure this one is safer then drugs.
    NRA Benefactor

Bet it smarted some though huh?

Glad you don't have to walk around with a white stick.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The more important questions. Did it clean out the gunk? Did it leave behind a soupy mess that took more time to clean out; or should a Q-tip should have been used first before the cleaner?
    I use the same brake cleaner for the striker channel in my Kahrs and have also experienced the facial "blow-back". Fortunately no direct hit to the eyes. No soupy mess to clean up as with using too much solvent.

I’m glad I need glasses to see what I’m doing when squirting brake cleaner around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Bet it smarted some though huh?

Glad you don't have to walk around with a white stick.
    Also oddly, it didn't really hurt that bad. Just "dull" stinging that went right away when I washed my eyes out.
    Last edited by ltxi; 06-08-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    NRA Benefactor

Hmmm how does it compare to chlorinated? If your bored and looking for a new thrill....JUST KIDDING
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    Hmmm how does it compare to chlorinated? If your bored and looking for a new thrill....JUST KIDDING
    Well, degreasing my eyeballs seems to have worked pretty well. I could see really good this morning. I was thinkin' of trying some trich next. Think I still have a bit in an ancient can somewhere.
    NRA Benefactor

About 30 years ago got an eyeful of methylene chloride. Very painful! Vision was not harmed.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Brings back to mind the words "Oh say can you see..." Hope your fourth was otherwise great!
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets