Xssights   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black diamond Kahr p45 review/range report

Cool Black diamond Kahr p45 review/range report

Well, I finally got a black diamond P45. I am familiar with Kahrs, as I have owned a pm9 for seven years. For me, this is the perfect size for appendix concealed carry. The beautiful matte black finish on the slide is impressive. I opted for the tritium night sights too. I was astonished that the grip was very thin, 1911 like. Trigger was the usual long, but smooth break when fired.

Range report: 240 rounds fired:
    100 rounds CCI Lawman FMJ 230g
    50 rounds Federal American Eagle FMJ 230g
    50 rounds Winchester white box FMJ 230g
    40 rounds Winchester PDX1 hollowpoints 230g

Fired from seven and ten yards. The first hundred fired were the Lawman. Perfect feeding and ejection. Same with the next fifty of American Eagle. The Winchester white box twice the nose of the bullet stuck on the feed ramp. The Winchester PDX1, fired last fed perfectly. On the last two magazines on the last shot, the slide did not lock back. The gun was pretty dirty at this point. The two six round Kahr mags that came with the gun performed extremely well. The one seven round magazine, that also came with the gun worked fine, except, on at least two ocassions, when slapping the magazine home, the slide would go forward loading a round, without me touching the slide, or the slide release lever. The P45 is super accurate. Ninety percent of my shots made a inch wide ragged hole about a half inch left of the bullseye. Two magazines were used one handed, alternating left and right.

My overall rating: A minus.

Well pleased. The pistol performed well during it's break in. I expect it to smooth out even more as the springs in the slide and magazines get a little more use. I welcome your comments on the issues I did have, and and any pointers, that will help. I also purchased a Theis single clip hybrid holster for appendix carry. I opted for full slide coverage and premium leather. The P45 fits perfectly "snapping " into place, with just the right level of retention. I think I will put at least another one hundred rounds of carry ammo through the P45, before I carry it, which will be Winchester Ranger T 230g hollowpoints.

Nice report and congratulations. I love my P45 DLC with NS, too. I also chose the Winchester 230-grain Ranger-T ammo based on the Lucky Gunner compact handgun ammo testing. It and the +P version were equal and I think they are the SAME cartridge. The results were the same and the "standard" version kicks like +P, but it's an awesome round.

I had some feeding problems testing 1911 mags with that ammo, but I was trying so many things at one time, that I decided to just go with the Kahr mags for a while until I felt comfortable with the pistol for carry. I always carry 6+1 and a spare 7-round mag opposite side.

I added a 1.75" bike tube grip cover to tone down the sharp nibs and carry it in a CrossBreed Minituck that I bought for a PM9. All of the Kahrs except the .380's fit this holster and I have several, though I need to oil or saddle soap one because it squeaks!

I have one "problem" with the P45 and it's that the trigger is so smooth that I have early discharges as I try to pre-stage the trigger while re-acquiring the target. The early rounds always impact the sheet of paper at 7 yards, but I have to stop trying that.

I can't find where I checked the trigger pull, but I think it was just over 5 pounds, which is where I like my DA carry pistols to be. I need to check it again, though.

I did get a couple more 1911 Officer's mags to try, but haven't done the testing on mods to those, yet. I would really like a flush fitting magazine for carry.

I wish that I could shoot like this... the target that Kahr's Bob Holmes sent me after checking the pistol out for a slide lock problem. 6 shots at 10 yards! I'm not quite that steady. He's a great shot and this is a great pistol!

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

A target shot by Bob Holmes! That's suitable for framing. Can't see it too clear but looks like it's autographed too!
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yes! He was very supportive in replacing my PM45 for me and letting me "upgrade" to the P45 as well.
    Last edited by wyntrout; 06-11-2018 at 03:38 PM.
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Great group, me being new here who is Bob Holmes ? What is his member name ?

Bob works for Kahr. He's actually semi retired but they keep bringing him back for a few days a week. I'm sure they can't get along without him.

His member name is a mystery as are any other Kahr employees if there are any visiting.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks, I wanted so read some of his posts. Did he post here?

Very seldom and he prefers to remain anonymous. I've wanted to let the cat out of the sack many times.

Alas, I could tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya, and dang it your too good a man and so is he obviously, even if he is kind of shy.

Sorry.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

He shows up on Facebook at Kahr Arms Nation sometimes: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1158264947549473/

Thomas Jefferson said

and

I give up then. I'd like to learn as much about Kahr's and as fast as I can. It souonds like he would be the best source for knowledge.