Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PM9 Magazine Baseplate Alternative!

Well, I have just the thing here. Check this out. Some re-application of the patented DLC-Like finish may be necessary... after touching or rubbing the DLC-Like finish. I'll have to research making it a more durable finish.
    Wynn

After considerable and extensive testing -- several seconds or so, I've decided to withdraw this product from the market as it is not durable enough.
    Fortunately, or un-fortunately, lighter fluid removes the not-quite-so DLC-Like finish.
    Uh, another update. After considerably more testing, I find that the patented DLC-Like finish is somewhat more durable when used on your fingers. I'm hoping that it will wear off eventually. (Maybe I fibbed a wee bit about the "patented" part.)
    Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wyntrout; 03-04-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Updated after product testing.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I like how that looks but it seems it still wouldn't allow much of a hold to your pinky.
    I agree Kahr should ship them new like that.
    Don't quite get either why the Pierce extensions are short in the back, why not just extend to the rear of the grip for a much better flush fit?

jjk1285 Guest

Haven't been to this thread in a while.

To answer the question on page 2: I recently qualified for my CHL with my pm9 setup as shown in my original post. 50 rounds to qualify, zero issues.

The magazine seats fairly tightly. Thus, if you very slowly and gently push the magazine in, it won't click into place about half the time. But, any amount of momentum/force will properly seat the magazine.

I have hands on the small side. I suspect it won't be comfortable for everyone, but I think the more the better when it comes to grip length real estate.

Default Base plate fix....

I think this thread is a good one as well....
    I ordered the baseplate for my PM9, but did not like the way it seated in. It realy needed the extra push. I took my Dremil and ground off the top of the base plate where it meets the grip. This will allow a small gap and allows the mag to seat much easier.
    Just wanted to improve another great idea....

Quote Originally Posted by jjk1285 View Post
    Thought I'd share this with others in case you were going through the same grief I was:

Like I've heard many others say, I hate the shine factor of the stock pm9 magazine baseplate on my DLC pm9. Also, the gap that is left after installing a pearce grip extension bothers me to no other, if you push the magazine into the grip slowly, you will see that the gap serves NO functional purpose. The magazine would lock in and eject properly if that gap were filled in.

So, I bought a TP9 magazine that has the black polymer baseplate and it seems to fit on the 6 round pm9 magazines. It functions perfectly, removes the gap between baseplate and grip, is BLACK! and best of all, serves to support my pinkie. (I do have small hands, probably won't support everyone's pinkie)

Kahr sells the TP9 baseplate and baseplate lock separately for 8.80 apiece.

anyways, this thread would be no good without pictures --->

Thanks for a great fix. The only thing I can't stand about my PM9 is that magazine gap. Everything else about this gun says quality and class except for the magazine fit. I already purchased a Pearce Ext and although I liked the feel for shooting, it still didn't take care of the gap problem. I'll be ordering my new base plate today. Another reason I love this forum (well this and wyntrout).
    Kahr P380 (part owner)
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr PM45
    Kahr MK9 Elite 03
    Springfield XDs .45 3.3
    Springfield XDm .40 Compact 3.8
    Springfield XDm 9mm 3.8

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    .....Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    I sent my magazine in to some company in seattle for their hard black finish, and it is awesome....I cannot remember where I sent it to either, but a poster here did it first and stated where he had it done, so I just followed up on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg View Post
    Pics? Contact name of the company?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna45cal View Post
    Was it Southridge Arms & Refinishing by any chance? I can't think of many refinishers in Seattle but I found this place... Just trying solve the puzzle.
    @mattmcg & @Bawanna45cal: I may have the mystery solved. Jocko, did you by chance send your mags to Springer Precision that I spoke about in this post? Later in the thread you said you sent some off - but we never heard an update from you...

Quote Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
    @mattmcg & @Bawanna45cal: I may have the mystery solved. Jocko, did you by chance send your mags to Springer Precision that I spoke about in this post? Later in the thread you said you sent some off - but we never heard an update from you...
    Maybe a dementia or ahlzeimers test is in order. I'd hate for him to not remember where he left his Harley. Could be a really really bad thing.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Maybe a dementia or ahlzeimers test is in order. I'd hate for him to not remember where he left his Harley. Could be a really really bad thing.
    I would like to revive this thread since I'm a new owner of a PM9. I too replaced my stock baseplate with the polymer one from TP9. Really like the fit but has anyone had any problem withe baseplate failing since you had to sand/dremel the top to get it to fit?
    Thank you
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ogso View Post
    I would like to revive this thread since I'm a new owner of a PM9. I too replaced my stock baseplate with the polymer one from TP9. Really like the fit but has anyone had any problem withe baseplate failing since you had to sand/dremel the top to get it to fit?
    Thank you
    Bill
    Not understanding what you mean by fail(ing).
    Did you replace BOTH parts?
    The dimple in the metal retention plate is not defined enough to secure the polymer base plate, and it can slide off, use the polymer retention plate with the polymer base plate.
    Mine:
    PM9.jpg
    If you don't have the polymer retention plate, you can sharpen up the dimple in the metal retention plate to work.
    Drill a hole in a piece of steel, slightly SMALLER THAN the hole in the polymer base, put the dimple over that hole, put a pin punch in the dimple and whack it with hammer.
    That punch should be at least 2x the thickness of the plate SMALLER THAN the hole you drilled in the steel plate.
    This will straighten out the dimple and square up the corner of it so it will not ride up out of the hole in the base plate.
    Lots of words where a pic would show this better.

I'll add a pic and if the base plate sliding off is not your "failure", then nevermind...

Edit: found this old thread: PM9 Mag Base Plate Mod (kahrtalk.com)
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

I did use the retention plate properly. My question was more around the baseplate failing as the amount of material has been reduced that hangs onto the magazine. I did not take a measurement of the thickness before I started the sanding so it would seat properly. There still looks to be a decent amount of meat left but over time I wonder if the spring pressure will overcome the reduced rails of the baseplate. Mine will stay on the magazine in the gun and when Kahr gets more TP9 replacemenets in stock I plan on replacing a couple more mags, Thanks, Bill