Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PM9 Magazine Baseplate Alternative!

jjk1285 Guest

Default PM9 Magazine Baseplate Alternative!

Thought I'd share this with others in case you were going through the same grief I was:

Like I've heard many others say, I hate the shine factor of the stock pm9 magazine baseplate on my DLC pm9. Also, the gap that is left after installing a pearce grip extension bothers me to no other, if you push the magazine into the grip slowly, you will see that the gap serves NO functional purpose. The magazine would lock in and eject properly if that gap were filled in.

So, I bought a TP9 magazine that has the black polymer baseplate and it seems to fit on the 6 round pm9 magazines. It functions perfectly, removes the gap between baseplate and grip, is BLACK! and best of all, serves to support my pinkie. (I do have small hands, probably won't support everyone's pinkie)

Kahr sells the TP9 baseplate and baseplate lock separately for 8.80 apiece.

anyways, this thread would be no good without pictures --->

Thanks for sharing, while I do not know about the "gap" with the Pearce grip (am new to Kahr), but I do notice the gap with the factory mag in mine. Your result looks GREAT, filled the gap effectively and looks so original.

Do we just need the baseplate? or we also have to use the baseplate-lock piece too?

I think all PM should have left the factory as what you are showing here.

Thanks for sharing the info, I think I'm going to order one of those. I put the perce grip extensions on 2 mags but wanted a shorter one for the carry mag, that looks like a very good option.

jjk1285 Guest

Yes, you would need to baseplate lock plate. I tried the stock metal lock plates but they just slipped out because they are too thin.

Also should note I gave the new plastic a bit of a rub with a scoth brite pad. It came very glossy and didnt match the grip.

Tks for the clarification, JJK!

That looks nice. Thx for the info. This is the kind of thing that makes these forums so valuable. Oh, and I agree, this is how they should leave the factory. A touch of class.

I very much prefer the stock, flush baseplate. My answer, as a match for my PM9, is to simply coat it black.

Quote Originally Posted by jjk1285 View Post
    Thought I'd share this with others in case you were going through the same grief I was:

Like I've heard many others say, I hate the shine factor of the stock pm9 magazine baseplate on my DLC pm9. Also, the gap that is left after installing a pearce grip extension bothers me to no other, if you push the magazine into the grip slowly, you will see that the gap serves NO functional purpose. The magazine would lock in and eject properly if that gap were filled in.

So, I bought a TP9 magazine that has the black polymer baseplate and it seems to fit on the 6 round pm9 magazines. It functions perfectly, removes the gap between baseplate and grip, is BLACK! and best of all, serves to support my pinkie. (I do have small hands, probably won't support everyone's pinkie)

Kahr sells the TP9 baseplate and baseplate lock separately for 8.80 apiece.

anyways, this thread would be no good without pictures --->

Like that! Great idea and effort! Thanks!
    Ruger Super Single Six
    Dan Wesson 357 Mag Revolver, with 6" & 3" barrels
    Kahr P45
    S&W M&P 9mm w/CT Grip
    Kel-Tec P-3AT w/CT Laser
    Glock G27 w/CT Grip
    Kahr PM9094 w/CT Laser
    NRA Life Member

Default Update - Pearce extension - PM9

I put a Pearce extension on a 6 rounder and other than the unsightly gap, it does give me a much more comfortable grip. My pinky no longer would slide/curve towards the back of the base plate and pinched by it's pointy corner.

It does show a little when I carry it in 3:30 position and only when I bend/lean forward, but it is not showing if I'd carry in 3:00. I will see how it's like when IWB -- after I received the Mitch Rosen Clipper.

Meantime, I think it is a keeper.

BTW, I just don't trust the plastic base lock, so I reverse the factory ss baselock and stack it with the Pearce plastic piece, at least I know that the spring compression is evenly applied on to plastic base lock.

mattmcg Guest

Not to necro an old thread but I think this is an excellent post.

With this mod, do you have any issues with magazine seating whether empty or full? Does the plastic base plate leave enough play to ensure proper mag seating?

Also, how is the fit of the TP9 base plate to the PM9 mag? Are the TP9 mags and PM9 mags identical on the bottom?

I'm very interested in trying this but would love some more info.