Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having Trouble Finding Rear Sights For K9 HELP!

Default Having Trouble Finding Rear Sights For K9 HELP!

Hi all! I am going nuts trying to get proper sights for my K9. The previous owner had replaced the sights a long time ago with what I think were Trijicon night sights. I thinks that as there is some worn, barely legible white writing on the rear sight sides, which is typical of Trijicons I’ve seen. Anyway, I first ordered Williams Fire Sights off of a Fleabay vendor, as I really want fiber optic sights (gun to be a range queen, not gonna carry). When I got them, the front sight fit great, pushed on tight and is soooo bright. The rear sight though, not so much. In the first attached pic I am holding the K9 up so you can see the spaces all around it and you can see how theres no such a loctite that would take up that much slack. So...I found on Dawson Precisions website an explanation of “old” style slide cuts (wider based dovetail cut/no dimple) vs. “new”, slimmer style cuts. Looking back at where I ordered the Fire sights, sure enough they are listed for the newer style slide cut/dimpled slide. So I ordered an older style rear sight from Optics Planet. This one was by Mepro, and was a night sight (not what I want), but was the only one I could find online for the older style (pre 2004) slide cut, other than stock Kahr “i” sights. Well in the second picture attached, you’ll see me holding the K9 upside down and again, the Mepro sight is a no go as well. Does anyone have any idea what’s going on here? Apparently neither old nor new style aftermarket sights available fit my slide, but again the previous owner had aftermarket sights installed!?!? Anyone know of any fiber optic sights that might fit (or worse case some night sights), or is my slide a bastard slide?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dawson’s explanation pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Hi all! I am going nuts trying to get proper sights for my K9. The previous owner had replaced the sights a long time ago with what I think were Trijicon night sights. I thinks that as there is some worn, barely legible white writing on the rear sight sides, which is typical of Trijicons I’ve seen. Anyway, I first ordered Williams Fire Sights off of a Fleabay vendor, as I really want fiber optic sights (gun to be a range queen, not gonna carry). When I got them, the front sight fit great, pushed on tight and is soooo bright. The rear sight though, not so much. In the first attached pic I am holding the K9 up so you can see the spaces all around it and you can see how theres no such a loctite that would take up that much slack. So...I found on Dawson Precisions website an explanation of “old” style slide cuts (wider based dovetail cut/no dimple) vs. “new”, slimmer style cuts. Looking back at where I ordered the Fire sights, sure enough they are listed for the newer style slide cut/dimpled slide. So I ordered an older style rear sight from Optics Planet. This one was by Mepro, and was a night sight (not what I want), but was the only one I could find online for the older style (pre 2004) slide cut, other than stock Kahr “i” sights. Well in the second picture attached, you’ll see me holding the K9 upside down and again, the Mepro sight is a no go as well. Does anyone have any idea what’s going on here? Apparently neither old nor new style aftermarket sights available fit my slide, but again the previous owner had aftermarket sights installed!?!? Anyone know of any fiber optic sights that might fit (or worse case some night sights), or is my slide a bastard slide?
    Neither of those sights is for the old style dovetail.
    Here's a shot of an aftermarket MMC sight I installed on my early production K9 with the old style dovetail:

Dawson lists FO sight sets for the old style dovetail: https://dawsonprecision.com/copy-of-...optic-front-1/
    Perhaps you might want to give them a try or send them the photos to verify the fit.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

As usual Greg, you come to the rescue! Thanks so much brother! I will look into both of the one’s you’ve suggested. Thanks again sooooo much!

I love that MMC sight, have since I first seen it. But good luck finding one of those.

I'm sure they are out there and one might get lucky but I think they been out of production for quite a spell.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I love that MMC sight, have since I first seen it. But good luck finding one of those.

I'm sure they are out there and one might get lucky but I think they been out of production for quite a spell.
    That is true boss. I posted that photo with the intent to show a sight correctly fitting the old style dovetail. I hope I didn't lead anyone astray.
    Still, I found mine on Ebay so they can turn up. I'm always watching for a Millett Security Six sight leaf.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Yup, understood. I too didn't want Bird to think he could just order up an MMC and get more frustrated.

Now gang, lets all keep our eyes pealed for a Millet Security Six sight leaf for Greg.

We'll call it payback for all the times he's helped all of us out, me probably more so than all the others combined.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yup, understood. I too didn't want Bird to think he could just order up an MMC and get more frustrated.

Now gang, lets all keep our eyes pealed for a Millet Security Six sight leaf for Greg.

We'll call it payback for all the times he's helped all of us out, me probably more so than all the others combined.
    Thanks Colonel!
    I feel my calling what I need a sight leaf is again misleading. I actually need the whole sight. I called it a leaf because the other Millett sights I have include a sight base. The Security Six sight does not, but it does have a leaf. I'm looking for the whole Security Six set up as shown below on my 4" Security Six:

Sorry about that
    Regards,
    Greg

Does that bolt on or you have to modify your frame a bit?

I can see why you want one, that's kind of sweet.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Does that bolt on or you have to modify your frame a bit?

I can see why you want one, that's kind of sweet.
    No modifications, just drive out the pin in the top strap and turn the elevation screw out to remove the factory sight, then drop in the Millett and reverse the process.
    I like the sight picture with it, think it looks good on the gun, and it's all steel

Regards,
    Greg