Xssights   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Recoil guide rod

Default Recoil guide rod

Hi, If this is the wrong thread I'll apologize now and get that out of the way. I just got a CW.45 and took it apart and cleaned it before going to the range. I couldn't help but notice the guide rod for the recoil spring looked pretty chewed up!I could actually feel indentations in the rod when I cleaned it, is this normal?

No. Contact customer service. They should be quite helpful.

I was hoping Greg would pop in on this one. I don't totally agree with kwh. It shouldn't be maybe but I have heard of lots of them chewing up guide rods, mostly cosmetic but a roughness too.

There are upgrade guide rods, stainless that help with that.

I don't know that I recall ever hearing it causing a malfunction. They still work just look ugly.

I do agree 100% with kwh in that contacting Kahr is a fine idea, see what they say, they may send you a new one.
    If it's running ok otherwise I'd be reluctant to send the gun back. If it is balking, off she goes.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The guide rod for my CW45 shows a slight amount of wear on the front section of it, but this has not affected the pistol's performance as far as I can tell.

To speculate on what might be chewing up the OP's guide rod, I'll post the following with the most likely culprit at the top:

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

The issue I had was the guide rod was "chewed up" on an unfired pistol pistol. Would that much roughness show up after just a few factory rounds fired, or did Grumpyolman pay good money for a less than stellar guide rod?
    Even though function may be just fine, I think Kahr should be made aware if the roughness is excessive.
    Depending on how bad the roughness is, Kahr might offer a replacement.

Kahr will almost undoubtedly send you a replacement. I'd send them a photo and let them know the gun is unfired.

I don't know how a chewed up guide rod would get in a new gun but I guess stuff happens.

I didn't realize the gun was unfired.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."