Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about damage to a PM9 for sale at LGS

Default Question about damage to a PM9 for sale at LGS

I was looking around at some of the used guns locally and saw a reasonably priced PM9 ($300) in very nice cosmetic/mechanical condition. I have never owned or fired a Kahr, but I was curious to try one out, and the price was right.

I was about to purchase it until I noticed the polymer has been circumcised somewhat (shaven/cut off a few millimeters?), and the polymer appears to be damaged. Any idea how that could have happened, or if it is something to worry about long-term?

That appears to be an older style PM9 with the blunt nose slide.

Doesn't appear to be shortened - just some rough edges. Nothing a piece of 400 grit won't clean up nicely.

The serial number plate goes up to a hair's width from the end of the dust cover on my older PM9 - just not much room to shorten it without chopping off some of that serial number plate.

$300 - IMO, GRAB IT!

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Looks good from here, like Ed said, sand it a little and shoot!
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    That appears to be an older style PM9 with the blunt nose slide.
    Thank you for the reply!

I checked the serial (IEXXXX) which appears to be a 2013 model, is that considered old?

Are those chips near the front left rail something to be worried about, or likely just something cosmetic that could do with some sanding?

Yeah, for 315 out the door w/ original box and 2 mags, I don't think I can go wrong!

Nothing to worry about I’d say. For 315 out the door with 2 Mags that’s a good deal. You’ll like it.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

It doesn't look right to me. With a 2013 serial number and the picture of the rough looking barrel hood, it looks like it has been sawed off by the previous owner. I would not buy it without shooting it to see if it functions correctly. Looks like an amature modification job to me, and a botched one too! Who knows what else may have been changed?

That picture is deceiving. Now that i look closer, it does appear to be the newer style slide.

The end of my CM9 dust cover looked pretty much like that after break in , and I just took a piece of sandpaper to it and smoothed it out. It's stayed smooth ever since - several thousand rounds later.

Like with any used gun, it's always nice to be able to shoot it before purchase, but unless the gun shop has a range, you're probably S.O.L.

I'd field strip it and if it looks OK, and function checks OK, I'd still buy it. The price is good.

Picture fooled me too, on 2nd look it is the newer tapered slide. Looks like it's got banged a time or two. Wouldn't concern me. Just cosmetic and easily cleaned up.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Can you show a side profile pic?
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    Can you show a side profile pic?
    Apologies I took a while, here's a profile picture