Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Store manager tackles gun thief - gets fired

Default Store manager tackles gun thief - gets fired

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...ect/772900002/

The manager of Tallahassee’s Academy Sports was fired Tuesday after tackling a suspect accused of stealing a handgun late last month. The suspect also allegedly threatened to shoot people.
    Dean Crouch, 32, was the store manager who stopped Jason White from leaving the Mahan Drive store with a .40-caliber pistol from the firearms counter on June 29.

“Academy has decided to, instead of treating him like the hero he is, they terminated his employment effective immediately because he put his hands on Mr. White,” Crouch's attorney Ryan Hobbs said.
    Just hours before he was taken into custody, White stole two handguns from Cash America Pawn on South Adams Street, according to Tallahassee Police.

White asked to look at the handgun at the firearms counter. He was handed the gun, then ran toward the front door.
    Crouch, who court records say observed the transaction at the counter, and another employee tackled and subdued White at the exit doors and recovered the gun, a stolen backpack, five boxes of ammunition and two magazines for the Glock.

White was taken into the store’s office while police were en route.
    It was there that he admitted to stealing the gun and threatened to shoot people with it. Court records indicate those threats, but do not mention threats to kill police officers as Crouch’s attorney claims.
    White, according to court records, said he and his family were being threatened by an unknown person and he wanted the gun to “kill him."
    “He repeatedly said ‘I stole and I admit to it’ and ‘I will steal again when I get out of jail,’” officers wrote in their report.

Hobbs said his client is considering a lawsuit for wrongful termination. The way he sees it, Crouch may have saved lives by stopping White.
    “This is not something that happens for Mr. Crouch in his everyday life,” Hobbs said. “I think he was thinking there is a man running out of the store with a gun in his hand with his coworkers following from the firearm area screaming ‘Stop that man.’ Something had to be done and he was the one that was going to do it.”

Academy Sports spokeswoman Elise Hasbrook said she could not comment on specific personnel matters or policies.
    However, Crouch’s actions and his termination were handled in accordance with the Texas-based company’s policies.
    “While the incident ended without injury, actions inconsistent with corporate policies were taken,” she said. “We addressed the matter with the local store and individuals involved.”

Crouch worked at the store for more than two years and is married with a family and has no way to support them.
    Hobbs said maybe the corporate policy should be revisited.
    “My instincts tell me they are concerned more about people like Mr. White suing them for being stopped in the course of a theft than they are about rewarding or acknowledging in a positive manner that Mr. Crouch may have saved lives.”
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Oh so typical in these times...…………………………………….the first thing he should do, is sue them for wrongful termination, especially if it's not mentioned in any training or co. manual. He was definitely doing what he was getting paid to do. I hope the citizen's in the area see this disgrace, and hit the store in the pocketbook. Same for online services and sales.

Well, another company joins the growing list of organizations I will never support with my dollars.

Sorta reminds me of the zero tolerance policies sometimes seen in schools. These plans are designed for people who never had an original thought in their lives.

Our country is so broken with political correctness and fear of law suits.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I bet you the pawn shop that lost handguns would hire him. My local gun shop (run by one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet) had one of those electromagnets put on their door so if anyone tries to run they hit the button to lock them in and hold them at gunpoint.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/