Tommy Gun   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P9 break in

Default P9 break in

As I posted earlier, I bought a P9 from Grab A Gun last month. One of my initial observations was that the barrel is a very tight fit in the slide. What I mean by that is that the barrel is difficult to get in or out of the slide, much more difficult than any of other Kahr pistols I've owned over the years (2 CM9, 1 CW380, 1 CT380, 1 CW9).

The first range trip was perfect with 120 rounds and no issues. I've had an issue arise in both my 2nd and 3rd trips to the range. The barrel will become "locked up" in the slide which prevents the slide from being able to retract all the way. Being unable to retract all the way results in the next round not chambering and I am unable to manually lock the slide back. The fix is to field strip and work the barrel loose by wiggling and tapping on it.

For example, at today's range trip I fired 35 rounds of 124 grain FMJ with no issues. I then loaded a mag of Double Tap 147 grain plus P hard cast. The pistol locked up after firing the first round. I was able to clear it, field strip and work the barrel loose. Put it all back together and fired another 40 rounds of the FMJ with no issues.

I now have 245 rounds through it. I plan to put another 75 rounds through it (50 FMJ and 25 Speer Gold Dot) to see how it does. If it continues to act up should I consider polishing the inside of the slide before contacting Kahr? Anything else I should think about?

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

How does it feel when you rack the slide without any ammo or mag in the gun? Is there resistance coming back, going forward or both?

Quote Originally Posted by lantern View Post
    How does it feel when you rack the slide without any ammo or mag in the gun? Is there resistance coming back, going forward or both?
    After the range trip when I first experienced the problem it felt like there was a little hitch when retracting the slide all the way back. The hitch was right before the slide was fully retracted.

I have not cleaned the pistol after the 75 rounds I fired today and there is no hitch or resistance at all when manually racking the slide.

I also purchased a p9 from GrabAgun mine also has a very tight barrel, my slide also locks to the rear after each shot so I have to hit it with my palm in the rear of the slide to put it into battery, also 8 round mag wont seat unless you give it a good hit. The slide seems to hang up when you pull it completely to the rear. Going to call Kahr any other ideas.
    Thanks in advance
    :33:

It could be a problem with the slide lock lever screw/washer/spring. DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN... steel screw in plastic thread! Use Torx#6 driver. The spring's forward coil holds the lever's pin in place by resting in the pin's detent. The rear free arm of the spring should lie on top of the shelf on the inner top of the lever to hold it down until the spring in the empty magazine pushes the follower up to engage the slide lock.

Videos on YouTube:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...0&action=click

I hope that this helps a bit. I've had similar problems and found that the lever was coming out a bit and causing problems.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    After the range trip when I first experienced the problem it felt like there was a little hitch when retracting the slide all the way back. The hitch was right before the slide was fully retracted.

I have not cleaned the pistol after the 75 rounds I fired today and there is no hitch or resistance at all when manually racking the slide.
    I'd definitely send it in if you're not worried about it being gone for a bit, but I'd call them and explain what's going on and if you need to send certain instructions inside the box to avoid the "pew pew...yep it works" send back.

If you have a local gunsmith that's a good option. I am not a fan of trying to fix a major problem myself before sending it in.

Quote Originally Posted by lantern View Post
    I'd definitely send it in if you're not worried about it being gone for a bit, but I'd call them and explain what's going on and if you need to send certain instructions inside the box to avoid the "pew pew...yep it works" send back.

If you have a local gunsmith that's a good option. I am not a fan of trying to fix a major problem myself before sending it in.
    I’m going to shoot it one more time. It’s possible that the last 40 rounds I fired after it locked up finished the “break in”.

I field stripped and cleaned the gun after my last post and the barrel is no longer tight. It slides in and out very easily and racking the slide is super smooth. Before the last range trip I had also noticed some sharp edges on the muzzle end of the slide where the barrel fits in. Those are gone and it is now smooth. I’m thinking that may have been the problem. I’ll report back after firing it again.

If this is true then you may have a VERY VERY accurate pistol on your hands. Similar to the Les Baer 1911s. They are extremely tight when you get them till you break them in.

Yep - the P9 is good to go.

75 rounds today a mix of FMJ, Speer Gold Dot JHP and 10 Doubletap 147 grain plus P hardcast. Flawless function.

The Speer Gold Dot performed nicely, low recoil and accurate. I know it didn’t do as well as HST through short barrel handguns but what do you think about it through the 3.6 inch barrel of the P9?

Thanks for the report, it's very encouraging.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling