Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liberal 9th Circuit backs right to carry firearms in public

I'd like to mention one other reason why I believe open carry may not be a good idea, and of course it's my personal opinion only.

In the unfortunate event that we have to shoot a bad guy in self-defense, there's always the possibility that we'll end up in court. If it was not a clear cut case of self-defense, and therefore not clearly and obviously justified, we could be charged with a crime. Even if we're not charged with a crime, we may be sued in civil court by the bad guy, or the bad guy's surviving family. In either event, the opposing attorney is going to try and paint the shooter as a trigger-happy cowboy or a Rambo wannabe, who was just itching for the chance to shoot someone. Of course this isn't true for the vast majority of we law-abiding citizens who carry guns for personal protection, but that won't matter. Depending on the jurisdiction, this would be more likely to happen in a civil case, as opposed to a criminal trial, IMO.

Could open carry give the prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney some ammunition in this regard? I personally believe that it certainly could, so I'm not going to risk it.

The common bad denominator in all scenario's is Lawyers.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The common bad denominator in all scenario's is Lawyers.
    Absolutely! In fact, they are the root of many of our societal and political problems today.

To my mind, open carry of a sidearm certainly does have it's place and I've done it a lot. Rural, open country, back country hiking, hunting, and anywhere else it's u&c. Cities and their suburbs generally ain't one of those places. Especially if it's done just being done to make a statement.
    NRA Benefactor

Around here, other than small hick towns, open carry will get you arrested for disorderly conduct at the very least! This happens when some libtard or crazy 'ol lady says "he is scaring me"! Just say'n!

"Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe

Far left Liberals cannot handle open carry---They are too paranoid period. The biggest issue we all face is that our constitutional rights will be obstructed at the local State level of government especially if you live in a Blue State where the State and City government is majority liberal. Even though the Supreme court can rule in favor of gun rights the local corrupt liberal government will not obey the order and immediately proceed to obstruct the ruling. We see it occurring all around in Blue States. There must be consequences for politicians that intentionally violate the Federal rulings or else the liberals will continue to play games.

Quote Originally Posted by DE MAN View Post
    Far left Liberals cannot handle open carry---They are too paranoid period. The biggest issue we all face is that our constitutional rights will be obstructed at the local State level of government especially if you live in a Blue State where the State and City government is majority liberal. Even though the Supreme court can rule in favor of gun rights the local corrupt liberal government will not obey the order and immediately proceed to obstruct the ruling. We see it occurring all around in Blue States. There must be consequences for politicians that intentionally violate the Federal rulings or else the liberals will continue to play games.
    Most important way to eliminate this......Many top LEO are elected....elect those that will not break the law when it comes to enforcement of these illegal laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_usn_ret View Post
    Most important way to eliminate this......Many top LEO are elected....elect those that will not break the law when it comes to enforcement of these illegal laws.
    County sheriffs are elected by the residents of the county, but police chiefs are appointed by the city manager...usually with the advice and consent of the mayor and city council (titles vary in some cities). In that regard, a police chief is no different than any other department head. City managers are appointed as well, so the only option for voters disgruntled with the police chief is to vote out their mayor and/or city council representative. Of course city residents also have the option of simply voicing their displeasure to their elected city council member.

Quote Originally Posted by gale155 View Post
    I'd like to mention one other reason why I believe open carry may not be a good idea, and of course it's my personal opinion only.

In the unfortunate event that we have to shoot a bad guy in self-defense, there's always the possibility that we'll end up in court. If it was not a clear cut case of self-defense, and therefore not clearly and obviously justified, we could be charged with a crime. Even if we're not charged with a crime, we may be sued in civil court by the bad guy, or the bad guy's surviving family. In either event, the opposing attorney is going to try and paint the shooter as a trigger-happy cowboy or a Rambo wannabe, who was just itching for the chance to shoot someone. Of course this isn't true for the vast majority of we law-abiding citizens who carry guns for personal protection, but that won't matter. Depending on the jurisdiction, this would be more likely to happen in a civil case, as opposed to a criminal trial, IMO.

Could open carry give the prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney some ammunition in this regard? I personally believe that it certainly could, so I'm not going to risk it.
    I've had this disagreement with others. ANYTHING is ammunition for a prosecutor in my book. The way you carry. The way you look. The ammo that you're using(that's the one that gets the disagreements). Your background. It's all fair game in a courtroom. It doesn't really matter if it was legal or illegal. It's all in other's perceptions, and how the prosecutor phrases things. If you ever have to shoot someone, you just hope that all the stars align for you, that everything was legally done, and you are in a conservative area.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I've had this disagreement with others. ANYTHING is ammunition for a prosecutor in my book. The way you carry. The way you look. The ammo that you're using(that's the one that gets the disagreements). Your background. It's all fair game in a courtroom. It doesn't really matter if it was legal or illegal. It's all in other's perceptions, and how the prosecutor phrases things. If you ever have to shoot someone, you just hope that all the stars align for you, that everything was legally done, and you are in a conservative area.
    Right you are, and this includes any signs you might have on your house or property. My favorite is "This door is locked for your protection...not mine", but my door is not adorned with one. In the rural area where I live, the bad guys know that everyone owns guns and therefore stay away...no signage necessary.