Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CW380 Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    I'm not a big fan measuring the whole assembly and compare it to others. It's possible it could work or you can be setting yourself up for failure. Here's part of a post I made in a previous thread.

That's also the reason I won't just measure the whole assembly and compare it to others. Like I explained earlier with the tolerance stacking. Your not taking into account the spring rates, pocket depth in the rear slide cover, the location of the pocket machined in the slide where the extractor pivots, etc etc etc. It's too dam easy just to measure the tension. On the tension, I try to get it as close as possible without getting anal.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?31227-New-cw380-first-shots
    I agree 100% on the tension being critical. It just seemed difficult and finicky to me. No shade on you...it's all on me. You are correct. I just found that measuring the one I had that worked fine and making the stack the same on the one that wasn't working so well was a good easy shot...and it worked. I'm aware of spring rate differentials etc. but what I did worked fine.

The bottom line is that it works. I just like to get that info out, because I'm aware of one person who did that and still had troubles. When he checked and reduced the tension his problem went away. That's another reason I'd check the tension before I'd take the pistol apart. While it is a big problem with Kahr pistols, that might not be the only problem. But you got the pistol to work and that's all that matters.

Default Thank you markman

Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    The bottom line is that it works. I just like to get that info out, because I'm aware of one person who did that and still had troubles. When he checked and reduced the tension his problem went away. That's another reason I'd check the tension before I'd take the pistol apart. While it is a big problem with Kahr pistols, that might not be the only problem. But you got the pistol to work and that's all that matters.
    I will try to set extractor tension per your excellent post with pictures. I will keep you posted!

Just set the extractor tension to about 2lbs. Followed Markmans directions it took about 3 tries shortening the rear pin to get it at 2lbs. Now its off to the range for the final test.

I can't say whether it's an accurate or reliable test or not, but on the ones I've done, I am able to load a round in the chamber while riding the slide forward. I don't have to slingshot the slide or use the Kahr recommended use of the slide stop.

Finally got my P380 out to the range since I adjusted the extractor tension to about 2lbs as markman suggested. It ran flawlessly (50) Lehigh Valley Xtreme Penetrator 90gr, (50) Precision One 90gr HP/XTP, (50) Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX. No problems at all, my extractor is rounded and I installed magguts in my magazine. I will putting more rounds thru it and do a follow up report. Thanks to all on this forum for posting adjustments for this wonderful pistol.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.