CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CW380 Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    My CW380 had failure to fully go into battery issues when it was new, even after 200 rounds. The rounds were hanging going behind the extractor. I started by filing the extractor post and rounding the bottom of the claw. That took care of about 25% of the issue. I ordered a new extractor and that took care of another 25%. The new one just worked better than the modified one. I measured the total length of the extractor pins and spring from my P380, which is flawless, and took about .022" off the length of the rear pin to make the total stack the same. That solved the rest of the problem completely. I had it at the range today for 100 rounds of PMC Bronze and 12 of Hornady Critical Defense. The gun was flawless. No failures of any kind. Were I to do it all again I might start with shortening the rear pin. Would I rather the gun was perfect out of the box? Absolutely. Did I mind fiddling around learning about the gun and fixing it myself? Absolutely not. I enjoyed myself because I'm pretty mechanical and now I have a perfectly functioning CW380.
    Thanks. I bought 3 rear extractor pins from Midway yesterday. I will attempt this one of those after doing a comparison to see if they are the same size as the one in the pistol. I will take .010 off, and go from there. Thanks for the advice.

I can also affirm a few things.

I bought an extra slide assembly off ebay (I guess someone trashed part of the frame). At any rate....

The used slide I bought was later than my CW380. It confirms Kahr is making changes and is aware.
    -Extractor shaping was slightly different.
    -the solid pin at the rear end of the extractor and spring was a bit shorter- thus placing less pressure on the extractor/spring.

I can also confirm an earlier post that the diameter if the extractor spring retaining pin is EXACTLY the diameter of common Dremel bits. So yes.... this DOES allow for cheap and easy experimentation of differing length retaining pins without doing a mod on the stock pin.

I use an old Dremel shaft as a pusher when cleaning. Sometimes the spring stays in the hole and doesn't want to come out. So I just slide the dremel shaft in there to push the spring out.

Never thought of that, that's brilliant. I got loads of used up Dremel bit laying around.

Don't totally agree that they are cheap, I cringe every time I have to buy them, but one does what one must do.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

u380b The slide you bought may have had modified extractor and extractor pin in it.

Have you contacted Kahr and asked about the new extractor?

I’m curious to see if the three pins you bought are the exact same size? I ordered two from midway when I did this to my 380. They were pretty cheap ($7) shipped for two. I figured if I messed up and sanded off too much from the factory one then I’d have spares to try agin. I got it right with the factory one so the new ones sit in my tool box for a rainy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the factory length of the rear extractor pin for the P380. I have one that is .438 and one that is .520???? Thanks for any help

Personally, I wouldn’t go by the length, I would measure the extractor tension with the pins in the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Baleno View Post
    Does anyone know the factory length of the rear extractor pin for the P380. I have one that is .438 and one that is .520???? Thanks for any help

There can be variation in all 3 parts so you can't just use the length of the rear pin. You have to use the entire stack of the front pin, spring, and rear pin. My P380 total stack is 1.878". My CW380 was 1.913" but I took .020 off the rear pin to make it 1.893" total. The spring in the P380 was .648 and the CW 380 was .764 so there was a big difference there too. It seems like a total stack @1.880 -1.890 is a reasonable target. YMMV (BTW - don't try to measure all 3 parts together. Parts will fly... Measure each component and add the lengths together...)

I'm not a big fan measuring the whole assembly and compare it to others. It's possible it could work or you can be setting yourself up for failure. Here's part of a post I made in a previous thread.

That's also the reason I won't just measure the whole assembly and compare it to others. Like I explained earlier with the tolerance stacking. Your not taking into account the spring rates, pocket depth in the rear slide cover, the location of the pocket machined in the slide where the extractor pivots, etc etc etc. It's too dam easy just to measure the tension. On the tension, I try to get it as close as possible without getting anal.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?31227-New-cw380-first-shots