CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally... a .308 AR, PA-10.

Default Finally... a .308 AR, PA-10.

Well, money has been kind of tight, but I did it. I went ahead and ordered a completed lower from Palmetto State Armory on May 30th, and picked it up at the FFL on June 4th. This was going to take a few months, I figured, because of other expenses... a lot of dental work for us both.

I finally ordered a completed upper on July 25. The upper came in today, August 2. I had requested a manual or whatever could be downloaded, so they sent me a .pdf file of a kind of scanned faded copy of the PA-10. It could definitely be a little better for the pictures, but I did manage to look through it before the upper arrived.

Wow! I've BUILT my first AR... as some guys love to say. With free shipping and $20 to my FFL dealer, it cost me $620! I remember going to the big local dealer prepared to spend $1,200 4 or 5 years ago... and prices starting at twice that for a cheapie! It has been a while!

I took the Bushnell TR-25 with half inch or so quick-on/off riser mount and put it on the assembled rifle. With a quick cheek weld, I was looking down the sight and it seemed a good position.

I had bought an Osprey Global bore sighter for .308($20) at the gun show this weekend, as well as MagPul magazines... one each in 10, 20, and 25-round capacity, with the last being windowed(Total $63 OTD). I also bought 4 20-rd boxes of Aguila 150 grain FMJBT for the range. So I have enough stuff to at least shoot the rifle.

I took the rifle with the bore sighter installed or loaded to the back porch, which is screened, and tried to put the red dot over the bore sighter dot at maybe 20 yards... not sure... daylight and seeing the dot through the screen, in addition to the dot on the screen.
    I think I can hit a sheet of paper at 25 yards, which is probably what I'll be doing when I get to the range... 25 yards max.

I've looked a lot and read a lot of reviews on PSA and their AR's. I felt pretty safe in going with them for my .308.

The rifle is pretty barrel heavy and weighs about 9.5 pounds with the red dot sight. I loaded and weighed the mags, too.

10-rds: .532 lbs
    20-rds: 1.014 lbs
    25-rds: 1.694 lbs

So the rifle and a 25-rd mag loaded brings the weight to 11.2 pounds or so before any other accessories are added!

Now I really have to sell this MechTech/Glock21SF Carbine... still unfired... to pay for the new rifle and some accessories... at least 10 mags and a case of ammo, plus some other accessories! There's a gun show August 18/19 that we need to get a table and see what I can liberate!

Well, a few pictures:

Closer to my lower:

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wyntrout; 09-23-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

That 25 yard range indoors? They let you shoot 308 in there.

Most of the ranges around here (there aren't many) allow 223 but not much bigger. Some allow members that take a class or something to shoot bigger.

That looks like a sweet AR. Got a detective/sniper/swat guy at work building one. I'm sure it's gonna be over 3500 before he's done. First cabin all the way. Hope it shoots or he's gonna be one unhappy camper.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yes, but no steel or armor-piercing ammo. I need to look up the ballistics and see if I can figure something out to set it up for 100 yards at a 25-yard range.

There's a big range on the other side of town and I know really know anything about it... how easy it is to shoot there... rules and such... plus 25+ miles away.

I have my 10/22 and this rifle now, so I really need to get over there and sight them in for at least 100 yards.

I can't believe how heavy this thing is... hard to hold it up for more than a very short time! I have a cheap, light-weight rifle rest... all plastic, but I'll take that to the range.

I need to look into some kind of scope, though. I would like something like 1-4 or 5, or 6x... variable... and NOT expensive.

The Bushnell will do for a while, but it's short range.

I was looking for ballistics and checked my ammo. It's 150 grain FMJ Boat Tail.

I just noticed that the lower ad is a little different from mine... the stock, anyhow. I grabbed the wrong one. It was the same price, though, shipped free.

PSA Gen2 PA-10 MOE EPT Lower With Overmolded Grip - 516446483

Last edited by wyntrout; 08-02-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

You’re gonna like that. The weight helps soak up the recoil too. One word of advise, watch that collapsible stock if you shoot from a rest and make sure it’s locked in good before you pull the trigger or it gets ugly. Don’t ask me how I know but I have a scar where it collapsed on recoil. Yours may be ok because it looks a bit nicer than what I had.

When you get ready to do some addons here’s what I added to mine that is a real return on the investment:
    1. Miculek muzzle brake - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...eel-parkerized. . This tames the recoil to less than a .223 AR but be advised it blows the hat off anyone standing beside you. The one above is priced high as I think I only paid about $30 for mine shipped.

2. A Limbsaver slip on recoil pad. May not be needed but makes it more pleasant when bench shooting and for me gives a little more length of pull because I’m too darn tall.

I also changed my stock to a AR15 A2 style just because I like them better for bench shooting.

Between those 3 items I can shoot mine and spot my impacts on the backstop through the rifle scope at 100 yards it shoots so soft.

Enjoy that new rifle. The .308 is nice in my opinion.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Thanks, yqtszhj. I'll watch for a deal on a muzzle brake. I can imagine that would help. That's a MagPul stock and grip, so I just need to make sure it's locked. I've read that the recoil is a bunch more than a .223. I got it for defense and won't be shooting it much, especially indoors!

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Bawanna, the 25-yard range is a rifle range. They have another 15-ft range for pistols and .22LR.

When they were upgrading the pistol range, we had to use the rifle range for pistols and it's really noisy with AR's and large bore rifles indoors!

Thomas Jefferson said

and

You might want to think about quick detach BI-pod set up. They work well when shooting from a bench, or pron position. I have one on my AR10. It's the berries in my op.

Have fun with it.

Nice rifle Wynn
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thanks! I do seem to have one problem. The bolt catch worked the first few times, but now it won't hold the bolt back. Only an empty mag holds the bolt back and pushing the mag release button and the tiniest movement of the mag lets the bolt slam into battery. I'm not sure that a new bolt catch assembly will fix the problem. The "lugs" on the bolt catch don't have a chance to catch the rotating bolt's face. The bolt lacks about 3/16ths moving rearward enough, if I'm guessing how the process should work.

The lady who took my call in customer service wasn't knowledgeable about the mechanism and we got cut off while she was checking for someone to give me an immediate answer. I just don't think another bolt catch assembly will be any better. I don't think the rotating bolt is moving rearward enough.

It's Friday and I doubt I'll get a real person this late.

I just sent them this picture of the bolt and bolt catch with the charging handle pulled all the way to the rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thomas Jefferson said

and